Broadband News

BT makes pay offer as strike amongst engineers looms

BT could be facing strike action amongst its staff which could cause communication problems for businesses and home users around the country if the action goes ahead. Last week, the Communication Workers Union (CWU) advised that they would ballot their 55,000 members over strike action following only a 2% pay increase proposal for 'blue-collar' staff when the Chief Executive saw his remuneration rise by 79% in 2009-10.

The strike by BT engineers and staff in call centres would be the first national strike at the company since 1987. In an effort to keep phones ringing and data flowing, BT today tabled a new offer of a 2% pay rise this year with a 3% pay rise promised for next year. BT would also commit to not making any compulsory redundancies over the next two years, and increasing UK job opportunities by decreasing its reliance on overseas call centres.

The CWU were pushing for a 5% pay increase but as yet have not commented in detail on the new offer which it said it was studying.

"This offer is an attempt to break the current impasse with the CWU. We hope that they will consider it seriously and respond positively. Industrial action is in no one's interests."

BT Statement

Comments

So BT is now 1 company? not the RETAIL/OPENREACH/WHOLESALE? I agree they should not be using overseas call center's. the customer doesn't want to have to keep explaining their problems, in a bid to get the operative to understand them,

• tommy45
  • over 7 years ago

you'll always be explaining your problems. No matter who BT employ, you won't ever get a dedicated agent assigned to your account... unless you have a 100mbit leased line and registered as a company with an account manager. BT as far as I know have always been one company

• krazykizza
  • over 7 years ago

BT has always been one company tommy45. There is some enforced separation operationally but they've always been a single company.

• Dixinormous
  • over 7 years ago

That has one bit charging customers to pay another bit and never talks to any other bits.
I still can't get them to tell me why I get charged £4.50 to make one payment a quarter when if I make a monthly payment I get charged £1.50. So much for a 'payment fee'.
I wish I could charge my customers to pay me on top of the bill!

• normcall
  • over 7 years ago

BRING BACK THE JOBS TO THE UK PEOPLE ITS CALLED BT FOR A REASON!!, im sick of explaining my self a lot of times and they say SORRY i dont understand you, it should be the other way round.... go for it guys and girls i support you going on strike

• Richie_74
  • over 7 years ago

The BT group is regulated such that each subsidiary must operate independently - Ofcom will come down hard on them if they are seen to be showing favoritism.

They are all owned by the same parent company but in other respects are not linked.

eg. BT Broadband is a customer BT Wholesale as is any other ISP. BT Wholesale are a customer of BT Openreach. Partly that's why it's so damned hard to get anything done.. the customer is normally 1 layer removed from that at the call centre, and has 3 companies to get through to get to someone who can look at faults.

• TonyHoyle
  • over 7 years ago

@normcall

It's because the fee is to bully you into giving BT open access to your bank account since customers clearly can't be expected to pay bills by themselves.

Why not change to another provider who doesn't rip you off like this?

• MarkHampshire
  • over 7 years ago

Like VM?

Remember that, if you pay by any other method other than Direct Debit, Virgin Media Payments will charge a monthly £5 charge for the payment handling services it provides to you.

• Somerset
  • over 7 years ago

Looks like they've refused the latest offer according to the press.

• GMAN99