Broadband News

Cable theft disconnects 2,000 broadband and telephone customers

Around 2,000 people have been cut-off from their telephone and broadband connections after thieves stole copper cable which provided their service. Six cables were cut in fives places on Wednesday in the Farningham area of Kent according to an article on BBC News. Many people were angry is it stopped them working and made lives difficult without an Internet connection.

"It is a very complex and time consuming repair job. We are doing all we can to restore services as quickly as possible. Up to 2,000 customers were affected and services have now been restored for nearly half of them. We hope to have completed the work by end of Monday."

BT Statement

Residents in this area of Kent also saw an incident in September last year which knocked off their broadband in similar way. BT said that the repair of this required replacing nearly two miles of cabling.

Comments

just shows, replace and recycle the copper and lay fibre instead. Then you get next gen access for a fraction of the cost.

• cyberdoyle
  • over 7 years ago

This has happend twice in the last month on the Cudworth Exchange (South Yorkshire) it knocked out any service 3 villages for a total of 5 days.

• CudworthExchange
  • over 7 years ago

they steal fibre too, you know. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/23/vm_leeds_theft/

I seem to recall that you need something at each end as well as a bit of fibre.

• herdwick
  • over 7 years ago

Why do some people enjoy damaging things? Anyway, I hope BT put fibre in instead of copper.

• Gamerwillz
  • over 7 years ago

One can only hope the chavs cut off their own service...

• keith969
  • over 7 years ago

This affected my exchange in Windsor too. I even saw the guys who did it! A couple of guys who blocked my drive to get to the cabinet. I was out of service for about 3 days. Funny thing is, that they stole the cable then BT replace it, then they came back and stole it again!

• rormeister

Sad :-(
However, I had aluminium wires when I applied for broadband years ago. BT did not want to find a "copper" route until Ofcom got involved (Aluminium and 1MHz ADSL signals do not mix).

I want to hire some thieves to specifically "work" on the antique copper wires in my area (Perhaps "antique" gives the wires more value!) :-)

• Frank22
  • over 7 years ago

Worst thing about them doing it on the Cudworth Exchange for me was it made my line attenuation even higher and i lost half a Mbit which on a (previously) 3Mbit line is pretty gutting.

• CudworthExchange
  • over 7 years ago

Is the price of copper so high, that people go to these length?

• MrTAToad2
  • over 7 years ago

Well it's priced by the metre so the greater the lengths you go to the more money is in it :)

Although apparently once you lay it in the ground and start shoving data down it all value evaporates. Or that's what telecoms companies seem to prove :(

• AndrueC
  • over 7 years ago

Cudworth Exchange, & I have a bloody good idea whom it may have been, but I prefer to wake up tomorrow morning!!

• ralphr
  • over 7 years ago

LOL chalk up another 2000 which are gonna have a patched up bodge Aluminium line LOL

• CARPETBURN
  • over 7 years ago

Various sites where I work, have had their copper lightning protection stolen. It was cheaper to replace existing sites with aluminium protection and sell the copper instead of waiting for lightning to strike, to coin a phrase. Aluminium lines already exist for my telecom connection, unfortunately ignored by everybody, including BT. Roll on FTTC or even FTTH, yeh...

• The_Engineer
  • over 7 years ago

Chris - 'fraction of the cost'. Please give us costs for replacing in this situation.

• Somerset
  • over 7 years ago

The guys that did my road in were a couple of chav's which seemed to be working for some polish gang who were raiding all the copper around the area!

• rormeister
  • over 7 years ago

@otester:You really are a piece of work aren't you? Downloading other people's work without paying for it and now threatening GBH and/or murder just because you lose your internet connection.

How long have you had this problem relating to other human beings? Have you sought help for it?

• AndrueC
  • over 7 years ago

^Stop being such a pussy and grow a backbone.

• otester
  • over 7 years ago

@herdwick: I agree, it's not only BT that suffer at the hands of thieves wanting their hands on very valuable copper.

@rormeister: If you thought they weren't officially BT people, why didn't you contact the relevant authorities?

• russianmonkey
  • over 7 years ago

Wow i guess whatever otester originally said got removed, if its anything like their follow up post im not shocked. Maybe its time this site did a round up review of net nanny like software? Parents of creatures like otester would then know the best options to stop them abusing mums connection and computer.

• CARPETBURN
  • over 7 years ago

Cats have backbones too you know? Ooo, wait...

• mishminx
  • over 7 years ago

curious? if this area was a poor performing area.
So lets say I pay someone £200 to steal the copper from my local loop, this then makes BT fit new copper with new joints. :)

• chrysalis
  • over 7 years ago

^^^ Nah, like plumbers they probably prefer PVC nowadays ;)

• CARPETBURN