Broadband News

Sky bundles broadband in offer and increases broadband speeds

Sky are offering 6 months free up-to 20Meg 'unlimited' broadband in a new promotion open to new and existing Sky customers who take the deal before 31st May. Sky Unlimited usually costs £15 on top of a Sky TV package, or £10 more when taken with the Sky Talk package. Customers have to move their BT line rental to Sky to take advantage of the offer (£11 a month) and either the Sky Talk Freedom (free) or Sky Talk Unlimited calls package (£5 a month). This offer is only available to new Sky customers or existing Sky customers who do not currently have Sky broadband.

Techradar are also reporting that Sky's broadband products are set to change from the 1st of June. All broadband products will be changed to offer up-to 20Meg broadband speeds (dependent on distance from the telephone exchange), even on the unbundled 'Sky Base' which offers free broadband to Sky TV customers, albeit with a low 2GB monthly usage limit. The Sky Unlimited service will also reduce in cost to just £7.50 a month from June 1st to those who take Sky TV and Sky Talk, a reduction of £2.50 a month. It's not clear if people who sign up to offers such as those above will also benefit from this reduced price.

"Sky is transforming the broadband marketplace again, by providing Britain's best value up to 20Mb truly unlimited broadband service and the UK's only free, up to 20Mb service.

With these new products, our customers have a very simple choice to make based on how much they use the internet, with peace of mind that they are getting a high quality, reliable service.

Unlike some other ISPs, Sky promises not to slow down the speed customers enjoy on its network at peak."

Delia Bushell, (Director of Broadband & Talk) Sky

Comments

Could this reduction be because they maybe looking at FTTC which they could possibly offer for £15????? Would be nice....

• sparky76
  • over 7 years ago

again, like most of these offers, not applicable to a third of population who can't even get 2 megabit connections. Just wish they would cut out this 'up to' business. the vast majority get nowhere near that. The problem is the politicians believe it and think digitalbritain is happening. It aint. They are just souping up the copper in urban areas and milking the phone network even harder.

• cyberdoyle
  • over 7 years ago

That's exactly why I left Sky recently.
They changed from 8 mb unlimited to all the speed you can get with 40gig limit.
When you only sync at 4.5 that isnt an improvement.

Slim

• audioslim
  • over 7 years ago

I'm a student in Scotland, there's five of us in the flat (two PC's, three Laptop's, two games consoles and an iphone all use the connection) and we're all very heavy downloaders and we have Sky Broadband Unlimited.

We get a constant connection of about 14mbps, between the five of us we easily work our way through about 1TB a month of bandwidth and we've never had any complaints from Sky and they've never restricted our connection.

Couldn't recommend them highly enough!

• crazyjohnman
  • over 7 years ago

Not sure why 'unlimited' was put in quotes in the article above, because it sounds as if this is the first ISP package that truly merits the name (although the pricing is insanely low).

------
Sky Unlimited, a £7.50-a-month package that, it claimed, is truly unlimited, stating that there will be "no usage caps, fair use policies or traffic management".
------

• oomingmak
  • over 7 years ago

"Just wish they would cut out this 'up to' business" - how else do you propose to describe a variable rate service then ?

Oh of course you don't do positive suggestions, only sniping at current services and chanting hypnotically about fibre.

• herdwick
  • over 7 years ago

sparky76: More likely competition from O2 Broadband and a premium FTTC product will appear from Sky probably when rollout is is bigger.

• JohnUK
  • over 7 years ago

This is excellent news for me. I've found Sky broadband to be fine. I'm only just getting over 2mb downloads but that is faster than with other ISPs. My concern was the broadband usage monitor that Sky implemented. We seemed to be using gb's by the shed loads according to the monitor (even when we were asleep). This move to unlimited (at a cheaper rate) is great news. Having web access to our sports package will also be a bonus.

• eski
  • over 7 years ago

Ps. what will be interesting to see is if my speed increases a little. It semes that people local to me on the current unlimited package get around 4mb downloads.

• eski
  • over 7 years ago

I have had a slow connection speed (416kbps) on my 8Mb Sky b/band for ages. Eventually Sky had BT check the line out. BT found the problem was that Sky had capped the speed to 2Mb. Its now set at 8Mb and I'm getting about 1850Kbps. On that basis I assume when I get the 20Mb B/band connection I'll only get a measley 5Mb connection? Mind you for £7.50 a month that's not too bad eh!

• Coolpix
  • over 7 years ago

Any genuine statistics to back up the claim that 1/3rd of the population can't get 2Mbit cyberdoyle or is it optimistic asking for facts when it comes to final third first hand wringing?

If it helps approximately 50% of the population can get 50Mbps from Virgin, so you're saying that of the 50% that can't get cable only 32% are within ~5km of copper of the exchange?

I'm quite interested. Given the amount of vested interests trying to extract money from tax payers with the final third first nonsense would be nice if a major supporter would give some factual discussion.

• Dixinormous
  • over 7 years ago

As has been said before, no use to most of us in Milton Keynes. Can't wait till we get FTTC and "up to" 40Mb in a few years time...
And as for Virgin Cable, the system is so old here, Noaha used it for depth sounding, so no phone, internet or digital TV for that matter... Bah Humbug!

• The_Engineer
  • over 7 years ago

hmm so sky base now 20mbit? easynet maybe at risk of congestion for the first time ever, good job it only has a 2 gig limit.

• chrysalis
  • over 7 years ago

I've seen elsewhere that the "Everyday" up to 10GB per month option will be discontinued at the same time meaning that I'll have to go with the £7.50 option plus £5 as I don't have and don't want Sky Talk.

It was fine for £5 pm which I was paying until the beginning of this year but at £12.50 I think it's time to move on.

• RealMini
  • over 7 years ago

@ chrysalis - do you really know what your talking about - Easynet at risk of congestion?? 320 Petabit network doesn't have to worry bout that for now ;/)

I'm happy that my costs will come down as already on unlimited @ £10 p/month ... so bring on the £7.50. Like some others, I've found Sky's BB to be really good, in fact don't want to say faultless as it's tempting fate but you get what I mean :)

• CaptainW