Broadband News

Tiscali TV quietly hits the 100,000 customer mark

Tiscali TV is often overlooked, mainly due to the large amount of mainstream advertising BT has given its own competing product BT Vision.

Tiscali TV differs from the BT Vision offering, in that it delivers live TV shows and films over the ADSL connection, and has added Tiscali+ PVR which means that Freeview channels are also available. Tiscali TV has its roots in the original HomeChoice service that launched back in 2000 using a 2.3Mbps ADSL connection offering pause and rewind facilities well before Virgin Media and Sky.

ISPreview has noted that in March 2008 Tiscali set a target of 200,000 customers, but according to the latest figures from Ofcom in Q4 2008 they were still around the 100,000 mark.

The downside of any of this and BT Vision is that it requires your telephone line to be short enough to reliably support download speeds of over 2Mbps to watch the IPTV content. Something like 80 to 90% of telephone lines should support the speeds necessary.

Update Thursday 9am: We slipped up on the calendar and did not notice the original item was centered around a March 2008 article on Digital Spy, thanks to Mark Jackson at ISPreview for pointing us in the right direction.

Comments

no good for us rural lot then.

• cyberdoyle
  • over 8 years ago

QUOTE"Tiscali has been talking to Digital Spy revealing that they plan to increase the number of exchanges that can offer the service "

LOL like thats gonna happen they cant even get anyone to buyout their shambles.

• CARPETBURN
  • over 8 years ago

And the "up to 8Mb" dsl is a joke. 2.5 Mb optimal is more like it!!

• ispeirs
  • over 8 years ago

I use the TV service, I swapped from Sky and I'm very happy with it.
My line was rated at 4Mb max by BT.
I get at least 6.5Mb from Tiscali which only drops to around 5Mb when using the DSL element of the TV/VOD/catchup service. A mixed wireless/cable router is supplied so I can run a home network too.
The PVR+ features are excellent, I'm able to record 2 "freeviw" channels and 1 DSL channel at the same time.
It all comes down the standard phone line that I've always had.

• Egg_
  • over 8 years ago

Phone calls thrown in and NO line rental made it all cheaper than my old ISP/Phone/Satillite.
It really is the shining star of Tiscali, I hope it does not suffer because of their woes or reputation as a "bargain bucket" ISP.
I did notice they have introduced a hefty installation charge which is a shame and could put people off.

• Egg_
  • over 8 years ago

The original figures are rounded to the nearest 100,000. The actual Tiscali TV households are 65,000. See para 2.7 http://www.ofcom.org.uk/research/tv/reports/dtv/dtu_2008_04/q42008.pdf

• ETEE
  • over 8 years ago

Despita all the negativity surrounding this lot,you cant deny the free line rental side is great.
sky only do it for 3 months,
talk talk have llu exchanges all over so whats there excuse for not doing free line rental?
alas bless poor tiscali will fold probably to murdoch then sigh prices will SKYROCKET!!!

• andys999
  • over 8 years ago

Yes, you have to wonder if it's not the free line rental and madly low prices that are part of the reason this lot are going down the tubes. Despite being so cheap they are losing customers due to quality of service being so poor. These guys aren't aren't even fit to be called the Tesco Value of ISPs :)

• Dixinormous
  • over 8 years ago

yes, free beer maybe wonderful, but not if it tastes awful, and takes ages to be served!!!

And I'm sure the barman would deflect complaints with "so what, it costs you nothing...."

• comnut
  • over 8 years ago

comnut, my service does not do that, which is why I said I'm happy, in my above posts.
Bearing in mind we are supposed to be talking the TV service package, let's be fair to exactly that, I repeat it is by far the best aspect of Tiscali that I have come across.
At least I am a user of it, so can give an accurate critique.

• Egg_
  • over 8 years ago

^^^ Come back and tell us how happy you are with Tiscali when they go belly up and you try to get your phone and broadband back up and running with another company that will be fun especially if it has been unbundled without you even knowing. They like to save you money.... Or in reality TIE you to their horrid organisation.

• CARPETBURN