Broadband News

Bug in tbbMeter causes problems - 01 Jan 2009 - solution

In a rather embarrassing tale, we have to report that we have received several reports from users today that their copies of the tbbMeter bandwidth monitoring software we provide is displaying an error indicating that it has expired:

0000-tbbmeter-expired-jan09.jpg

This was a safety feature we built into early beta test versions of the application and should not appear in production versions; however it appears we accidentally left this code in place.

Windows XP Users - To fix this problem download and run tbbMeter Health Check
Just click the above link and run the file. This tool will fix the problem automatically for most users.

Windows Vista Users - You may need administrative permissions to run the above tool.
Vista has more complicated security settings, so we've provided a step-by-step guide.

If this does not rectify the problem, please check our advanced troubleshooting options.

If all else fails, please feel free to e-mail us on [email protected] and we will assist where possible.

Comments

Y2k bug over again? :)

• masteratarms
  • over 8 years ago

LMAO as The new yraw came in Bang on Midnight up popped the Message!! What a way to start the New Year. LMAO

Even re downloading and reinstalling either one of the two Versions and you get the same error.

• 1Gopher
  • over 8 years ago

Might be just a MMIX up!

• OldFella
  • over 8 years ago

Not happy. Hope Stats are retained somewhere, as I need recent stats to confront ISP in a few days time! :(

• hems303
  • over 8 years ago

yea hope this gets fixed soon

• lowik
  • over 8 years ago

If you need your stats just wind back the system clock to yesterday and grab them in case the new version zaps them.
It works, I just tested it. Still expired when I reset to normal.

• antsnest
  • over 8 years ago

The new version shouldn't zap the stats.. we'll have one out later today.

• seb
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • over 8 years ago

When I run the new version of THHBmeter I get an error message saying "This application has failed to start because rscoree.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem" it doese'nt. Regards Clive

• clivejenner
  • over 8 years ago

Is this not built in Visual Studio? If so you could look at packaging the program so it looks for updates. That way you shouldn't need to change the clock etc. It would also keep all installed versions up-to-date.

• paulbeattie87
  • over 8 years ago

The software does check for updates, but an old bit of beta code was left in for a little too long.

rscoree.dll should be in the tbbmeter folder, if not you can download from http://www.farina1.com/rscoree.dll

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • over 8 years ago

Update works for me, thanks!

• tilly2007

Works for me too

• simon8520
  • over 8 years ago

I just installed the new version, and my stats are gone. This doesn't particularly bother me because I don't need them. But if you need the stats, I would recommend that you copy down the old stats via resetting the clock. Maybe the software developer could add a "Yearly" down/upload set of numbers??? Maybe my stats reset because it is the first of the month?

• authoriseduser545
  • over 8 years ago

My stats were retained when I upgraded.
I wound back the clock and upgraded via the system check rather than downloading the new versiuon directly.

• antsnest
  • over 8 years ago

Okay, I upgraded via the internal "Check Version" and I did not bother to set my clock back first, so I guess that is mandatory if one upgrades the way I did.

• authoriseduser545
  • over 8 years ago

Strange, my stats now show the same for Daily and Monthly (336MB download), but the weekly shows 2,458MB download. Go figure.

• authoriseduser545
  • over 8 years ago

Well done and thanks for the quick fix guys

• michaelmead
  • over 8 years ago

Weekly will still be showing some data from December 2008. But the month will only be today.

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • over 8 years ago

You didn't write the code for the Microsoft Zune player, did you? [url]http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/31/zune_death/[/url]
<chuckle!>

• John_Gray
  • over 8 years ago

or for the Sony DAB Clock Radio, which occasionally turns itself on at midnight at FULL VOLUME, even though this has not been set as a wakeup time?

• John_Gray
  • over 8 years ago

We have a program ready that will fix it in one go for most people - we're just running it past a few users on the forums (link in the forums if you want to try) - this should make things simpler.

• seb
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • over 8 years ago

Well done to the site on admitting an issue with the app (if only ISPs were this honest when they make a cockup).

Also well done on the update and easy fix, though it seems some people cant even read and follow simple instructions and still whinge.

• CARPETBURN
  • over 8 years ago

Thanks for quick fix. Worked for me, but stats were somewhat bizarre. No problem tho. :)

• hems303
  • over 8 years ago

As an XP user I found that runing the download direct caused a rejection message.
I downloaded to a file and ran it from there with no problem.
Well done for the quick fix.

• johnsizeland
  • over 8 years ago

Also a XP user and a computer novice downloaded to a file worked for me

• blacky1944

• mr_chris
  • over 8 years ago

quote"@CARPETBURN - they couldn't exactly NOT admit there was an issue with the app! It was plain to see from the message displayed!!"

Of course they could had denied it. They could had said your complaint was unique much like an ISP or some other big company would and then censor everyone else.

Obviously you have never dealt with the deny everything mentality.

• CARPETBURN

@CB

I expect mr_chris will deny that [tongue]. (And I agree with him).

• uniquename

thanks for the fix...

was worring incase i go over my limit!! but lucky i didnt....

• samperry209
  • over 8 years ago

First report due out Thursday.

• bluesbros
  • over 8 years ago

quote"Perhaps they'd be better joining the SanKnows & OFCOM project to measure broadband speeds....???"

Err what does measuring speed have to do with an app that measures usage amounts?

• CARPETBURN