Broadband News

Netgear recalls powerline Ethernet adaptors

Netgear has recalled its XE103 85Mbps powerline Ethernet adaptors sold in Europe. The adaptors are designed to establish a home network over electricity cables and thus avoid running of additional Ethernet cables.

The problem seems to be associated with the risk that the device could overheat under some circumstances, causing a fire. RegHardware reports that Netgear have not actually had any reports of this happening but are recalling the units as a precaution. The recall only affects 220-240V versions of the adaptors.

You can check if yours is on the recall list by visiting the Netgear website.

Comments

I've got an XE103 that links the two halves of my network together. Trouble with the recall is that you have to send the device back and it could take 2 weeks to turn it around. That means my network is split for that time.
Upshot is that I'm going to have to buy another one in order to keep my network running (good for netgear, not so good for me).

• ian72
  • over 9 years ago

But would you rather have your house burn down, that's the question you have to ask yourself. Good on Netgear for doing a precautionary recall, so many wouldn't have done and would have gone in to denial if anything did happen.

• KarlAustin
  • over 9 years ago

Nope, but if ian72 has to buy another device, that is as good to him as if he just *threw* the old XE103 outta window... what recall then?

Me, I am also p'd off with the fact that two storeys of my home would be disconnected, but I'm moving house, so not that bad, and I have wireless to fall back to...

• EastExpert
  • over 9 years ago

Netgear has a really shitty customer service, I will never buy another of their products purely because of the delay in swapping faulty routers etc. Being without the internet for more than 1 day is unacceptable and forcing users to pay for an instant swap out of your faulty manufacturing is downright extortion.

• hoodamanny
  • over 9 years ago

Ideally you want to be able to take it back to the place of purchase for immediate replacement or get the replacement sent before having to send back the old one. But i guess netgear don't trust their customers to return them.

• ian72
  • over 9 years ago

I once had one of my APC UPS's recalled, APC sent out the replacement unit first and I posted the faulty one back to them in the same box. So why can't Netgear do it this way, customer is happy and would use Netgear again ?

• Foggy_UK
  • over 9 years ago

Ditto - I've sent hard discs back to Maxtor in the past - they are quite happy to ship you an advance replacement - then you send the old one back in the box the new one arrived in. Only security is they take a credit card number they can charge should you not return the dead one.

• irrelevant
  • over 9 years ago

"Being without the internet for more than 1 day is unacceptable"
What world do you live in? If you need broadband so desperately then you will have a backup facility in which case there will be no problem for you.

• GrahamMills
  • over 9 years ago

Why? Because Netgear routers aren't exactly your enterprise grade kit, you're paying commodity prices, to there's nothing in the budget for doing advance replacements - i.e. Having to chase those customers who don't bother sending the old one back. Yup, if you rely on net access that much, you should have a backup, I have 2 - dialup and 3g and a 3rd option of drive in to our office 30 miles away.

• KarlAustin
  • over 9 years ago

Given how much broadband kit is identical internally, often with only the manufacturer badge to distinguish the different variations on a theme, anyone know if there is a clone of this particular kit with a different badge?

• c_j_
  • over 9 years ago

The swap and return policy described above sounds like the service I've used on HP enterprise level gear costing thousands. Hardly surprising that Netgear are not treating domestic powerline adaptors with quite the same reverence! As for Maxtor, my only experience of swapping out failed Maxtor drives is having to send them the manufacturer where they take 14 days just to decide whether or not to send you another, nevermind actually doing it!

• plesbit
  • over 9 years ago

Gives a whole new meaning to the term 'Hot-line' doesn't it?
Not a new issue, the EU electrical regs assume we are running 230 volts AC here, but as any clued-up sparky will tell yah, that's a wee bit flexible. Re-cycling centres are full of stuff that's fallen foul of that mis-interpretation.

• pbsolo