Broadband News

Free access to Nokia Music Store at The Cloud

The Nokia Music Store will be accessible for free via wireless hot-spots run by The Cloud. You still have to pay for any music tracks you download from the stores which cost around 80p a track with albums from £8.

October saw the announcement that BBC content was going to be available for free at The Cloud hot spots, so adding other content providers makes sense as a way to encourage people to make use of the hot-spots.

"If I am out and about and I hear a track in a shop or a friend recommends something, I want to be able to download it immediately - not wait until I get home,"

Owen Geddes, director of Business Development at The Cloud

Further details of the deal can be read about over on vnunet.com.

Comments

What type of bitrate is the music?? I take it its not that high quality if its using mobile phones and wifi? 8 quid an album... hmm if its less than 192k in quality terms you may as well just buy the cd IMO.

• CARPETBURN
  • over 9 years ago

192Kbps

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • over 9 years ago

Thanks for that andrew, may be worth giving the odd 80p track a go first to check the quality. If its not bad the service may indeed be worth it for some music :)
Will have to research if its got anything nasty like DRM contained now, but other than that seems better than some similar services ive seen.

• CARPETBURN
  • over 9 years ago

Windows only though so probably due to DRM platform is a factor.

• bosie
  • over 9 years ago

I gave this service (if you can call it that) a go yesterday, all im saying is thank god i only paid for a single track and not a full album. The track cut of early at the end (it was missing about 5 seconds of the song) and took an age to download, (could had got it quicker and cheaper from a well known US service ;) ) id sooner gave my 80p to some begger in the street wanting a cup of tea. I was so outraged (yes over 80p lol) that i deleted it, emailed them about their so called service and in the process forgot to even check for drm bloat which i wouldnt be shocked if it had...Shambles!

• CARPETBURN
  • over 9 years ago

As for the nokia music player and media bar it made me install... They are utterly pointless and a ridiculous requirement, the software is worse then many FREEWARE music managing apps out there... Was also a pain to get rid of, like most of the trojan-esque rubbish these companys make you install it seems to uninstall fine until you check your registry and what your connection is doing a little more, you then spend longer trying to get rid of it than you would trying to wake from a coma.... Overall another naff pay for this and that system to avoid.

• CARPETBURN