Broadband News

JD Power study gives top place to Tiscali

JD Power and Associates has published the results from its 2007 UK Broadband Internet Service Provider Satisfaction Study which is based on responses from 1,683 UK broadband customers.

Provider Points
Tiscali 668
Virgin Media 660
Sky Broadband 657
AOL 646
Orange 636
Pipex 634
Talk Talk 630
BT 626

Broadband providers often make a big thing at coming top in surveys like this, but the UK broadband market has many more providers than these eight providers and it is worth remembering that the difference between first and last last is only around 4%. Other data from the survey suggests we sit on hold for an average of 17 minutes when calling a provider and the average monthly price has fallen to £21.10 from £25.91 since last year. While the survey suggests a 40% rise in speed to 4.87Mbps, without any data on the average attenuation (loop length) for the xDSL lines in the survey it is hard to say if this is a real improvement.

We periodically summarise the customer service ratings that visitors to thinkbroadband.com give their provider. The monthly ratings are available on our Compare Broadband page.

Comments

Laughed so hard at the title i couldnt read the rest

• CARPETBURN
  • over 9 years ago

Perhaps the item should make it clear that there are only 8 companies in the study, the above didn't come top out of a survey of 100-odd ISPs.

• herdwick
  • over 9 years ago

"but the UK broadband market has many more providers than these eight providers and it is worth remembering that the different between first and last last is only around 4%"

I thought I had.

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • over 9 years ago

I saw this in the newspaper the other morning. I thought I was seeing things.

• sebastianyoung
  • over 9 years ago

Oh come on, why on earth do you even give this stuff publicity? It doesn't deserve it, tests 8 providers with a sample size of 1683, statistical anomoly.

• KarlAustin

Hmmm, I thought I was reading it upside down

• scousetechie
  • over 9 years ago

C'mon guys. It's not April 1st for a long time yet.

• DeanT
  • over 9 years ago

"Oh come on, why on earth do you even give this stuff publicity? It doesn't deserve it"

I quite agree. It beggers belief that those ISP's top the table. You only have to look at numerous different forums where shed loads of people complain about them.

Wheres the decent ISP's like Bethere or Entanet etc etc in the list!

• bikes_gb
  • over 9 years ago

average wait of 17mins, is this skewed by a few large providers? I used to have long waits at nildram but both entanet and ukonline not got this problem.

• chrysalis
  • over 9 years ago

I don't think it is clear that the survey itself was restricted to 8 providers only, look at the questions above asking where the other ISPs are or why the call times are so long.

The article does say there are many more providers than those in the table, but it does not make it clear that the table is the totality of the analysis rather than the top 8 out of 100.

• herdwick
  • over 9 years ago

Does that make it "Official" can Tiscali put it on their web site. Can they claim that their customers are the most satisfied in the UK???

• wingco1
  • over 9 years ago

Yes I also had a laugh when I read this crap it's like a survey of the worst ISPs, if we're talking about the best of worst then Tiscali still are not top of that list.

I think theres a good chance of them putting it on their site, Tiscali have always been full of crap after all, anything to con you into joining.

• Assegai
  • over 9 years ago

Well thats done wonders for the credibility of JD Power surveys.

I'm speechless.

• Mitch999
  • over 9 years ago

Perhaps someone should run a survey to determine the most flawed survey!

• jelv

Isn't JD Power a car firm? Might explain this crap LOL

• SteveToplek
  • over 9 years ago

I'm sure this is the list most people have had most problems with. From my experience anyway, all but one are in conjunction with BT to the end user. JD has been drinking tooo much JD

• Vibration
  • over 9 years ago

How do you work out the difference between 626 and 668 as "4%"? Looks like nearer 7% to me.

• pr100
  • over 9 years ago

[q]JD has been drinking tooo much JD[/q]
I can see it at the JD offices now.....

Hick.... im not drunk... hick im telling you tiscali are the best...hick.....lets add AOL also its short to type...hick... OH and orange the mrs likes that colour...hick

• CARPETBURN
  • over 9 years ago

What the hell is going on for goodness sake. here we have the worst company(Tiscali) and I mean worst in terms of Customer service and yet Tiscali is top of the heap. This company is totally unaware what customer service is. It would not recognise service if it hit it full on shouting and screeming I am Service,I am Service. Please do us all a favour. Stop promoting this shower. They are a nightmare to deeal with.
If Tiscali is good at something is self promotion. Nothing more, nothing less. I am asking the question. How many people have they paid to VOTE THEM NUMBER 1.

• hanoverbm
  • over 9 years ago

Well that just lost JD Power any credibility they may have had.

• whitefacedun
  • over 9 years ago

Funniest thing I've seen all year. Most of those ISPs are a joke...and it looks like JD Power are as well.

• Shempz
  • over 9 years ago

what utter crap. BUSINESS service to use email and FTP? Where do they get off saying that?

It makes me wonder if they put trained monkeys or untrained morons on the phones at some of these places.

This site says it all