Broadband News

88.4 per cent of UK Internet connections via broadband

The National Statistics Online website has published its latest round-up of UK Internet statistics, which shows that 88.4% of Internet connections in the UK in September 2007 were via a broadband service. This is a rise of 2.2 percentage points on previous figures from June 2007.

Dial-up is now vanishing to the point where it may actually start to become more expensive for those left with no choice but to use dial-up. With only 11.6% of Internet connections still to convert to broadband, the competition between providers may get even more fierce.

The National Statistics Office has started to look at the advertised speed for broadband connections, which we have reproduced below:

Broadband Speed
Date <=2Mbps >2Mbps and <8Mbps >8Mbps Speed Unknown
December 2006 62% 35.1% 2.4% 0.5%
March 2007 56.8% 39.9% 3.3% 0%
June 2007 52.8% 43.3% 3.9% 0%
September 2007 50.8% 45.2% 4.0% 0%

The caveat that "the speed advertised for each subscription may not be the speed attained by the end user, as attained speed of connection is affected by issues such as distance from the local exchange and line quality", is made in the document and we should also be aware that the actual download experience will vary according to the activities of the other millions of broadband users in the UK.

Comments

quote"The caveat that "the speed advertised for each subscription may not be the speed attained by the end user, as attained speed of connection is affected by issues such as distance from the local exchange and line quality"
Or in other words its a pointless chart that doesnt reflect the actual speed people get only the type of service they subscribe to.

• CARPETBURN
  • over 10 years ago

Looks like 2Mb and 8Mb users aren't counted. x)

• e102gamma
  • over 10 years ago

2MB and 8MB were counted but apparently the details were sent via a couple of CDR's and got lost in the post..........

• keith_thfc
  • over 10 years ago

As long as they were encrypted...

• e102gamma
  • over 10 years ago

Of course they were encrypted, using .gov speak so we cannot believe what we read!

• Skywave
  • over 10 years ago

Yeah but was the password "TonyBlair" or "Banker"????

• PeteK
  • over 10 years ago

Can anyone also tell me where i can buy an advertised 8Mb or greater service????? Apparantely thats the quote "the speed advertised for each subscription" and in september 4% had one of them, only god knows where they got it though.

• CARPETBURN

20mbit here, and it works as 20mbit, so I guess I'm in that 4%

• BlackAle
  • over 10 years ago

NO ya not because the service you bought was either described as 20Mb (if ya cable) or UPTO 24Mb if ya adsl2+...... It was not described as 8Mb or higher like that bozo clown chart says... read it carefully ;)
I get 16Mb so where the heck i come on that chart is a complete mystery. I think keith_thfc is right the details on cd were lost in the post, probably posted in the same envelope as other certain government figures to save on the postage LOL

• CARPETBURN
  • over 10 years ago

YES i do, who the hell are you to tell me I don't get 20mbit. As usual you're talking nonsense.

• BlackAle
  • over 10 years ago

I'm new to Think Broadband, I've been doing the speedtest for Oct & Nov. I'm paying for 'up to 8Mb' with BT. I live just over a mile from the exchange and I haven't (according to the test) even reached a speed of 2Mb's. Any suggestions?

• lucia220103

Oh sorry did I forget the sarcasm tag :-p

• rasczak
  • over 10 years ago

8Mb is still missing from the chart. >.> :)

• e102gamma
  • over 10 years ago

according to the line tests my line should support up to 4Mb's at least, as I said before it's never reached 2 never mind 4! Does anyone with more knowledge than me about these things have any idea as to what I can do to speed things up? I could probably get to my local exchange in the car faster than my computer!!

• lucia220103
  • over 10 years ago

quote"For once Carpetburn is right. You can't get any service at all which advertise they are greater than 8Mb. And you don't have any that advertise greater than 2Mb but less than 8Mb, or that advertise less than or equal too 2Mb. This chart is obviously a crock.
Oh sorry did I forget the sarcasm tag :-p"

Thank god someone has some brains and can comprehend what i said.

• CARPETBURN
  • over 10 years ago

To lucia220103 probably best to look through the forums at bbs.adslguide.org.uk plenty of others going through the same.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/sections/radsl.html may also help.

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • over 10 years ago

As one of those people who falls into the 11.6% who we have been told can not get broadband, I wonder where this leaves us? The point will come where no one will provide a dial-up service because costs. Then we will be living in a technogical wasteland. I feel for you when your service is slow, but remember your slow speed is someone else's fast speed, our dial-up is running at 2.6kp at the moment! Oh for 0.5mb broadband!

• Skyewatcher
  • over 10 years ago

My ISP is Orange and even when it was Wanadoo were promising faster than 2megs in this area, that was over 2 years ago needless to say nothing has ever happened.
To try to contact Orange about it a joke their customer service department must have been trained by Basil Forty at Forty Towers. WHAT A SHOWER! all they want to do is sell you an integrated phone package or give you cinema tickets to see a film that I don't want to see.
Why can't they just give me a faster connection,other providers in the area do.

• peterradio