BT websites down and out
Tuesday 02 February 2016 15:21:51 by Andrew Ferguson

Hopefully this is just a case of someone having broken something very important, but reports are arriving and when we have checked various BT Group sites and they do appear down.

The main,, sites appear to be down, we have fired off a question to try and find out why.

This does not appear to be affecting peoples broadband connections, as based on activity on our speed test we are still seeing the expected numbers and speeds for this time of day.

Update 4:45pm Some people did end up with their broadband breaking, though the volume affected is unknown, we have seen a spike in people with a BT connection testing their broadband, i.e. probably checking connection after finding some pages not working. The generic advice whenever a provider has problems of do NOT restart your broadband router, as existing connections will often continue to work, but the authentication part if starting a new connection may fail. Unfortunately as the Home Hub supplied by BT does not respond to pings and thus our BQM monitoring tool, it is difficult to judge how many connections are up or down, apart from those people who have replaced the supplied hardware.

Some BT websites do appear to be coming back too.

Update 5pm

Large numbers of customers have been experiencing temporary issues with their broadband services this afternoon. Customers can still receive and make calls as normal.

We’ve been working hard to fix the issue and are glad to report that nearly every customer affected is now reconnected, approximately two hours after the problem started.

We apologise to any affected customers for the inconvenience.

There is no evidence at this stage to suggest that we were subject to a malicious attack.

BT statement on outage

Posted by TheEulerID 9 months ago
My BT Broadband is working. is working too.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) 9 months ago
Have looked at live speed tests and volume and speeds look fine too.

Also no obvious big drops on Linx traffic stats which you'd expect if a few million people went offline.
Posted by TheEulerID 9 months ago
I would suspect a data centre problem as some sites appear to be up, some down. It also sounds like it's preventing authentication of connections (so I hope my router stays up).
Posted by ZenUser27 9 months ago
My speedtest just now is working, nothing else is. My landline is also dead which due to FTTC is good because it dosen't need it to run ) I don't think?)
Posted by generallee94 9 months ago
Broadband is affected, however not until the PPP session tried to authenticate so connections that remain connected shouldn't have an issue... unfortunately I was unaware o the issue until I just changed a socket and found the PPP wasn't authenticating :(
Posted by generallee94 9 months ago
Is BT's cooling off period 14/30 days from connection or ordering?
Posted by TheEulerID 9 months ago
It seems to be fixed now.
Posted by tazz_uk 9 months ago
Home broadband is up Business Broadband down...
Posted by TonyTek 9 months ago
Some of the services such as Synology and LightwaveRF also stopped.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) 9 months ago
Some parts may be fixed....
Posted by tazz_uk 9 months ago
3 business connections down in Berkshire
Posted by tallmattuk 9 months ago has reports from all over the country that both business and home broadband is down. My friend's broadband in sussex is down and the BT online chat agents have been unavailable the last hour. @Andrew - think it may be much more serious than you think
Posted by tazz_uk 9 months ago
^^^ Agreed
Posted by tazz_uk 9 months ago
All connections now back up as shown in my tbb graphs too
Posted by mark2004 9 months ago
BT Retail called Openreach for help.

Openreach then told them that if it's a problem with your equipment that they will charge them £150 call out fee.
So please check your router and the Ethernet cables first.
Also try using the master socket.
We can book in for 3 days time, if we show up....
Posted by lcman 9 months ago
Just to put things right.

It did affect people's broadband.

I live in NE Scotland and was without internet connection from about 15.00 for about and hour and a half.

Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) 9 months ago
When an ISP website is down then things are more complex, as a surprisingly large amount of people go to websites not by typing in the browser URL bar, but from the search box on their browsers home page, which for many is the ISP home page too.

Plus seeing the spike in BT people testing connections, was and still is masking the percentage down.
Posted by 961a 9 months ago
Off in Scot Borders from 2.15 till 5pm

Major faff as router all green lights throughout
Posted by dgmckenzie 9 months ago
Well I can get to my website/mail server in the US without a VPN (via Germany).

Unfortunately I can't get these pages when it is on at the moment
Posted by ricardian 9 months ago
Our island (Stronsay, Orkney) had problems this afternoon. Subscribers had blue light on their router but not connectivity with error messages about "proxy". Now seems to be back to normal but some sites are glacially slow
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) 9 months ago
Instant Survey:

Do those who had an outage have BT Parental Controls turned on or off?

Do those who had no problems do you have BT Parental Controls turned on or off?
Posted by TheEulerID 9 months ago
Turned off, and I didn't lose service. Good thinking on your part.
Posted by GMAN99 9 months ago
Turned off and I did lose service
Posted by ggremlin 9 months ago
own connection, filters off, hh5b, bt 'domestic' fttc, no problem.
but on the same cabinet,
bt business hh5a fttc failed
Posted by leexgx 9 months ago
seemed we was lucky at work as the one we use did not go off (stayed connected all day)

seems they broke the authentication services again

the website failing mite of been DDoS from so many users hammering the page to find out whats going on (downdetector hit 18k reports)
Posted by gsmlnx 9 months ago
Not just BT customers but BTW customers are affected too e.g. Plusnet, AAISP, ZEN.
Posted by mdar5 9 months ago
Interestingly around that time although I'm on a Gigaclear connection I found certain websites totally non responsive and would not load.
I did at one point wonder if GC had suffered a rare failure but a check of which loaded as usual proved the connection was working.
Posted by ribble 9 months ago
I'd guess a couple of core routers failed in London
Posted by fiddler 9 months ago
Still patchy here in West Wales - Hub4 needs restarting every 15 minutes or so and even when connected, pings are about half a second.
Posted by ahockings 9 months ago
Trying to set up some new software for a business in Teignmouth today and it couldn't access the licence server.
Browsing all over the place.
Whole of the UK it seems.
Posted by warweezil 9 months ago
Boss and his father are both on BT. Both connections connections were down this afternoon (West Wales SWMF exchange).
Posted by radiomarko 9 months ago
ahockings - no problems with my Infinity connection in Teignmouth today, extraordinary! Maybe some gateways only.
Posted by dilbert2k 9 months ago
Business broadband down in North Wales from approx 14:15 to approx 16:45 this afternoon.
Posted by TheGuv 9 months ago
Didn't notice the problem with my connection - given the reports it sounds more like a problem in the core than anything else.

I'll bet Ol' Dido was hoping it was the pesky kiddie scripters that knocked off her company striking again. :-D
Posted by trolleybus 9 months ago
We are covered by Critical Care; I accept these were exceptional circumstances that such cover goes out the window but being totally unaware of the major outage found it frustrating that it was impossible to get through to BT to say we had lost our service.
Posted by PhilipVirgo 9 months ago
Hence the need for dual sourcing with an alternative supplier not dependent on BT. I switched to a Vodafone mobile hub, which was how I found that it was not just me that down. Hence also the need for national policy to be based on avoiding monopoly dependency.
Posted by rkimber 9 months ago
No connection for about 2-3 hours here in Ceredigion. Judging from the comments, outlying areas were the worst hit areas. Perhaps they are able to give urban areas priority when such things happen (?).