New FTTC speed variant on its way in January
Wednesday 16 December 2015 13:04:19 by Andrew Ferguson

It has been a long time since Openreach launched a new product and while the technology behind the new product is not changing it may provide a nice intermediate price point for some providers.

As of 16th January 2016 there will be a new wholesale product with a FTTC (or FTTP if that service is available) of 55 Mbps download connection speed and 10 Mbps upload speed. The existing 40/2, 40/10 and 80/20 products are continuing and while no reason has been given for the launch our suspicion is that the aim is to try and tempt people to upgrade without going for the full price increase that jumping to the 80/20 product carries with it.

Openreach product Monthly wholesale cost (ex. VAT)
GEA-FTTC and GEA-FTTP 40/2 £6.90
GEA-FTTC and GEA-FTTP 40/10 £7.40
GEA-FTTC and GEA-FTTP 55/10 £8.40
GEA-FTTC and GEA-FTTP 80/20 £9.95
GEA-FTTP 110/15 £13.15
GEA-FTTP 220/20 £15.61
GEA-FTTP 320/30 £29.61

The above pricing only covers the port cost and getting the data back to the handover exchange, on top of this there is the wholesale costs as incurred by BT Wholesale, TalkTalk, Sky or whoever is picking up the data from the handover node. The 80/20 product usually carries a £10 to £15 price premium at the retail level, so squeezing in a product that might just be an extra £5 per month could result in significant upsell.

As for which retailer requested the new speed point, our betting is that it is BT Retail who will target this at BT TV Total Entertainment where live streamed UHD content can need 44 Mbps of bandwidth (pre-recorded UHD streaming is generally a lower bit rate).

Comments

Posted by rtho782 8 months ago
Excellent, both my lines are about 47 down, 7 up, so perhaps this will save me some cash.
Posted by dparr59 8 months ago
My BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test
is 61Meg down & 12Meg up.
I started on the 80/10 but speed ended up near 55Meg than 70Meg , So dropped down to a 40/10 from plusnet.
Might have another look in jan when it launches.
Posted by David-Park 8 months ago
I'm with Plusnet up to 38, they say I can't have up to 76 due to my line length from Cabinet and all I can get is 30 Mb in fact I get 32 Mb.
So I'm wondering would if I desired get this up to 55 Mb.?
Any line lengths been quoted for availability?
Posted by ian72 8 months ago
@david if you only get 32Mb now then you won't get any more on the new product - the technology is identical just a slightly higher cap, if below the cap it makes no difference to you at all
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) 8 months ago
Might make a difference to the upload if on the 40/2 product and PlusNet was to launch a 55/10 service, but with respect to download there would be nothing gained.
Posted by leexgx 8 months ago
on FTTC if you can only get 32mb what be the point of paying £10 more for a 80/20 that you cant get as your not on a Fiber connection (near fiber) best to just stay on the 40/10 product

you need FTTP (or virgin) to get advertised speeds
Posted by Kr1s69 8 months ago
@Andrew

This makes sense for BT retail as they provision the UHD service using the 80/20 openreach service, even if you buy the 40meg broadband product. If they switch to the new 55Mbps they can save £1.55 per month.

Also, they're really bad at capping connections to 40Mbps, I regularly see transfers above the cap. I don't know if the cap is disabled when viewing TV, which would leave more than 40Mbps for other devices.
Posted by leexgx 8 months ago
unless its just a UHD thing

if you pay for 40/10 or 40/2 they set the VDSL line sync to 40/10 or 40/2 (even if you can get 80/20 as i can get) makes the line very stable as noise margin is high
Posted by ZenUser27 8 months ago
So I can get 80/20 with a max of 104/35 so no point in moving up? Will they be offering the other FTTP products if someone can get FTTP?
Posted by ZenUser27 8 months ago
I will assume so! lol
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) 8 months ago
If you have native GEA-FTTP available, then the other products are already available, only the 55/10 is new.
Posted by jrawle 8 months ago
Once again all the emphasis on downloads. I get around 48/16, but would be happy to drop to 40 download if I could have the faster upload. We really are stuck in this country with the legacy of poor asymmetric broadband, despite providers continually pushing cloud storage and video calling.
Posted by ZenUser27 8 months ago
Andrew I do but I can't find anywhere I can even enquire about it.
Posted by FINCASTLE84 8 months ago
Perfect for me. At present I get 43/12 with PN so this will be an ideal compromise, always assuming that PN will offer it.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) 8 months ago
In terms where to enquire - that's down to the retail provider you use.

Remember that the pricing shown here only applies to native FTTP areas, not the fibre on demand areas.

The number of households with both FTTC and native FTTP available is very small.
Posted by gallafent 8 months ago
Ho hum, with a fairly short FTTC line here I was hoping for a bit of a bump up at the top end (e.g. to 85/35, just for example ;) — I'm surprised BTW hasn't decided to offer e.g. 100/33 or similar, just to be able to say they have a widely available “up to” 100Mb/s service available, given the boasting by the primary competition with its 200Mb/s service! Perhaps they've just thrown in the towel at the top end …