Nasareth hamlet watches as FTTP arrives for Christmas
Tuesday 15 December 2015 09:13:51 by Andrew Ferguson

The small rural community of Nasareth in Gwynedd should be starting to see FTTP via the Superfast Cymru project arrive in their area and is just one small part of the 45,000 premises across Gwynedd that have seen improved broadband made available via the project.

"It seems tremendously appropriate that a community with the name of Nasareth gets superfast broadband at Christmastime! The hamlet has joined the ever growing list of rural communities in Wales that can now start accessing superfast broadband.

As the roll-out continues we will see more and more communities, like Nasareth, being able to realise the many benefits of receiving superfast broadband speeds.

For those households and businesses that can access superfast broadband, I would urge them to sign up with a service provider – why not make it your new year’s resolution?

Ed Hunt, Superfast Cymru programme director

We have tried to confirm which premises in Nasareth have the service option and believe it will be those on cabinet 3 of the Penygroes exchange but cannot see WBC FTTP available for order yet, once visibility appears we will add it to the 1.9% of premises in Gwynedd that can order a FTTP service.

How fast is broadband and how much superfast is available in Gwynedd
Core broadband statistics for Gwynedd

With superfast coverage at 24 Mbps or better of 71.8% (69.1% at 30 Mbps or better) this part of Wales is some way behind the overall target but the Welsh 96% fibre based target is a nation wide target, rather than a uniform target in each local authority. Fibre based services started to arrive in Q1 2013, hence the large jump in the average speed for the area which is easier to pin down as there are no Virgin Media cable services.

Posted by csimon 10 months ago
Just want to ppoint our misleading spin again from Superfast Cymru. I very much doubt that this community is getting superfast broadband at Christmastime. Christmas next year maybe. I'm still waiting after 5 months for my FTTP installation. According to Superfast Cymru, I "got it" in July.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) 10 months ago
@csimon is that five months since the BT Wholesale checker said you got it, or just the project team?
Posted by ian007jen 10 months ago
No FTTC or FTTP for Bethlehem yet?,-4.9147147,15z?hl=en

Posted by jumpmum 10 months ago
Although 71.8% doesn't seem high it is a huge improvement on the 0% ( Zero) before the BDUK scheme started. This may lead to the FTTP % in Gwynedd being higher than the sub 2Mb% which is impressively low at 2% at present.
Posted by csimon 10 months ago
@andrew Five months since checker said available, I placed the order on July 30th after Superfast cumru said it was available. "being able to place an order" and "getting superfast" are two completely different things.
Posted by csimon 10 months ago
Clarification - I asked SFC what the latest timescales were (as it had been slippoing 3 months every 3 months for a couple of years, so I was emailing regularly) and at that time they actually said it was then available (I had heard nothing even though I'd registered for updates - seems they only do mailshots once per month, although I've still not had that mailshot). So I checked via BTW and sure enough it was available so then I placed the order.
Posted by QUANGO1948 10 months ago
I live in Wales and I thought that superfast broadband
would have arrived as a Christmas Present, In my dreams. I think I will be in my coffin before it arrives, been waiting ten month so far. Happy Xmas to all involved with Superfast Broadband.