Record customer growth at Virgin Media rewarded by price rises
Wednesday 11 November 2015 10:45:20 by Andrew Ferguson

The Virgin Media results for Q3/2015 showed a record level of growth adding 55,500 customers to take the cable broadband customer base to over 4.6 million, alas that good news is tempered by the news that price rises are on the horizon for lots of customers with the new prices taking effect in February 2016.

The inflation busting price rises which work out at 5.4% on average don't affect the broadband-only customers, but apply to those taking a double or triple play package. The size of the price rises is bound to upset many, but in the face of the growing data usage across the network and the expansion via Project Lightning (expected to deliver coverage to an extra 250,000 by the end of 2015 and more in subsequent years) may be behind the rises.

• Voice line rental to rise £1 to £17.99
  • Big Connection and Big Easy bundles to rise by £3.99 per month
  • Big Bang, Big Kahuna and Big Daddy bundles to rise by £3.99 per month
  • Other bundles to rise by between £1 and £3.99 per month

The slightly confusing element is that many people are on deals or retention offers so listing the new package prices for everyone is too difficult, so keep an eye out for the notification letter of the letter which should also detail your right to walk from the contract.

The price rises on the voice line rental are always a little odd, as the voice lines do not involve Openreach, perhaps highlighting that other costs are behind the rises, e.g. impact of the minimum wage on low paid call centre staff and other costs of doing business in the UK.

Comments

Posted by generallee94 about 1 year ago
Will this be affecting new customers... I've not yet seen anything on there webpages change and I've got an order in progress which was placed on Monday... they can sure shove £3.99 increase up there arse.
Posted by LT38 about 1 year ago
As per usual right ontop of a supposedly free speed upgrade coincidence or what eh?.
Posted by markieb about 1 year ago
I'm on their broadband only and had several price increases last year alone.

lost my £4.00 loyal customer discount this year as well, so I'll be paying over £40 a month for broadband only from Virgin.

I'd probably dump them if I could get FTTx here :(

These price increases sure do seem to coincide with their free speed increase offers.
Coincidence? I think not :(
Posted by generallee94 about 1 year ago
I have a feeling they might be covering the cost of BT sport too, and from something I read they have lost a considerable amount of TV customers over the last quarter... That may be due to prices increasing and folk opting to have Broadband only services.

They do make it worse for themselves though really, the announce increase then offer discounts to counter it and in most cases give more on top too.
Posted by generallee94 about 1 year ago
I heard of someone in the last few days who called up a month ago when his BB50 Only was being increased to £30.75, he got a £2 discount meaning he would be paying 25p less than he did before, he then thought about cancelling for another provider all together and Virgin then offered him an additional £6 discount... so now he pays £8 less than a new customer...
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) about 1 year ago
People using comments to do things like 'call me for a deal' get the comment rejected.
Posted by comnut about 1 year ago
As I always say, stop moaning and go elsewhere... At least so we can find out your experience.. :)

A lot of people I know have been messed around so much by 'ISPs that use a BT line' that they will NEVER go back there...

If you buy cheap, you get cheap service... :P
Posted by tmcr about 1 year ago
Sounds like time for my annual call to the retentions team...
Posted by generallee94 about 1 year ago
@comnut - I agree on your comments regrind g"buy cheap get cheap" that why I'm with one of the what some would call "premium ISP's", however your comment don't stand here....

You can pay £40 or £100 here... it's not making the performance from Virgin any better... and others will tell you the same.

"A lot of people I know have been "relieved" by ISP's that use BT line's, that they will never go back....."
Posted by neilfreeman about 1 year ago
the comment " don't affect the broadband-only customers" is not correct. I've been broadband for over 5 years and since ofcom regulated the telecoms market in 2009/2010, annual increases of £1.50-£1.75 inline with with providers landline increases (even though i have no landline) Anyway, i phoned them i'm not paying it, get it removed. retention's dept said no. I said 30 days notice notice then. 2 days later a phone call with an offer that was a monthly decrease and saving of £9.25 off the Vivid 200 package.
Posted by Sauzee2142 about 1 year ago
This is the second rise since September with Virgin!
Posted by generallee94 about 1 year ago
So a quick break down of the price rises (Bundles with Phone)

Broadband +£2.49
Line Rental +£1.00
TV +£0.50

I think its about time regulators step in and apply the same price increase system that was enforced on mobile providers, one price rise a year allowed based on RPI...

The average retail pricing for an entry level fibre connection now has risen above £35 per month and close to £40 (Based on Sky, BT, Virgin,TalkTalk)

I can almost say that another increase next year is imminent with the attitude ISP's are having towards the IPBill.

Maybe it's time for a petition.
Posted by rainman100 about 1 year ago
Line rental from all providers seems to go up a £1 year on year, that is well above inflation. Still if they keep it at that in 20 years time rises will be below inflation. And what about these contracts , line rental 12 month broadband 18 month. Can any one tell me of a provider that does 12 month contracts on each ?.