TalkTalk warns users over recent cyber attack on their website
Thursday 22 October 2015 22:21:35 by Andrew Ferguson

The outage of the TalkTalk website appears to be over and the reason for it has been revealed in the form of a cyberattack. TalkTalk has published a note detailing what it can say for now as a criminal investigation is underway and has advice for TalkTalk users surrounding personal data. As yet exactly what information was accessed is not clear but always best to be careful.

"We are very sorry to tell you that on Thursday 22nd October a criminal investigation was launched by the Metropolitan Police Cyber Crime Unit following a significant and sustained cyberattack on our website on Wednesday 21st October. The investigation is ongoing, but unfortunately there is a chance that some of the following data may have been accessed:

• Names
  • Addresss
  • Dates of birth
  • Email addresses
  • Telephone numbers
  • TalkTalk account information
  • Credit card details and/or bank details

We are continuing to work with leading cyber crime specialists and the Metropolitan Police to establish exactly what happened and the extent of any information accessed.

We would like to reassure you that we take any threat to the security of our customers’ data very seriously. We constantly review and update our systems to make sure they are as secure as possible and we’re taking all the necessary steps to understand this incident and to protect as best we can against similar attacks in future. Unfortunately cyber criminals are becoming increasingly sophisticated and attacks against companies which do business online are becoming more frequent."

TalkTalk on website hack

The TalkTalk note contains advice and highlights that TalkTalk will never call and ask you to provide bank details. For many of our visitors the advice will be almost routine but it may be worth checking with family and friends that they are all up to speed on what has gone on, since if forewarned they will hopefully be more on their guard.

Comments

Posted by chefbyte about 1 year ago
Posted by unobroadband about 1 year ago
Mass emailing, with the amount of people affected, will take hours, if not days - so they could be well within the process of doing it.
Posted by Saurus about 1 year ago
Wonder if this is a follow-up attack from the ones that happened to both Scan and Aria the other day?
Posted by AdrianPH about 1 year ago
" Posted by chefbyte about 10 hours ago
I find it strange that they have not emailed me yet to tell me about this but I suppose they are busy."

Perhaps they have more than one customer?
Posted by melb about 1 year ago
Credit card and bank details Details - Not encrypted ?? Arghhhhhh. I'm with TalkTalk, and I hope that through this breach I can get out of my contract.....
Posted by Spud2003 about 1 year ago
Doubt in melb, I asked them to release me from my contract after the data breach at the beginning of the year but they stonewalled - eventually I jumped ship after a package price rise meant I could apply penalty free early contract termination.
Posted by Fenris about 1 year ago
Just got emailed by talktalk, but learned about it last night from news sites. I'll be so furious if my credit card number and back account details are in the hands of the hackers!
Posted by arfster about 1 year ago
Sooooooo - two previous breaches in the past year, and they still have credit card details in plain text?
Posted by alegeek about 1 year ago
@Melb according to the latest update on MSE, requests to leave are being done on a case by case basis.
Posted by jroadley about 1 year ago
I imagine getting out of that 18 month contract early will be easy today.
Posted by normsland about 1 year ago
Anyone know of a Talktalk reseller who does call packages? Just wondering because I want to leave Talktalk but don't want to loose our phone number. Thanks
Posted by ZenUser27 about 1 year ago
Andrews and Arnold
Posted by TheEulerID about 1 year ago
Why should you lose your telephone number if you move from TalkTalk (or have to use a reseller)? Fixed line operators are all required to support number migration to a new operator at the same address (up to the gaining operator whether they support it though, but it's in their interests to do so).
Posted by ChrisAO about 1 year ago
Fuel Broadband is a TalkTalk reseller.
Posted by Somerset about 1 year ago

Correct?
Posted by uniquename about 1 year ago
Do AAISP have call packages on their LLU stuff? They don't on BT Wholesale - where they don't even have a "call" service except using VOIP. Though they do have a basic £10 line only product.

LLU anyway is on their very expensive unit-based system.
Posted by uniquename about 1 year ago
@normsland
Pulse8broadband. They don't do call packages as such but their line rental is £13, (I added Caller Display so mine is £14), and call charges at 1ppm peak with no call setup charge. 0.8ppm off-peak. At say £7pm for an Anytime package elsewhere that's 700+ minutes.
Posted by DrMikeHuntHurtz about 1 year ago
This is why you pay a bit more instead of being a cheapskate.
Posted by ZenUser27 about 1 year ago
Zen are good for service and support. Just be warned that should you move within a contract period (say first 12 months) you can move and take a new contract but you must also pay off the old contract as well.

It's something I just went through and it sucks. They never mentioned that in the sales hype!
Posted by maxwild about 1 year ago
I am an exTiscali customer. After the initial uncertainty which gave rise to the earlier comments above, it now appears that this incident has been much less serious than first thought. We all give out more detailed information each time we buy anything on line or, "worse", buy by credit card over the phone.
I am staying with TalkTalk as they offer such good value for money coupled to reliasble broadband.
Posted by baby_frogmella about 1 year ago
@maxwild
hear hear! Likewise I will also be staying with TalkTalk.
Posted by Royf about 1 year ago
I have been happy with talktalk and I shall also stay with them. It seems that bank details and account details were not taken so there should not be any problems, but it is always good to be careful on line as there are so many scams that can get any of these details without you knowing.
Posted by Teefenn1 about 1 year ago
@uniquename
You incorrectly implied that AAISP's LLU is only available on their (expensive) unit based system. I have their Home::1 package, which is a flat rate £25pcm allowing 100GB download per month. The same is also available for fibre for £35 pcm.