Gigaclear races past 10,000 premises passed mark
Wednesday 21 October 2015 12:44:45 by Andrew Ferguson

The Gigaclear Gigabit FTTH roll-out has reached an important milestone of having passed 10,000 premises (i.e. fibre rolled out to a pot on the edge of home or business) and is reporting take-up averaging out at 40% across the 36 communities in some 5 different counties where the service is available.

"We have made fantastic progress this year already delivering ultrafast broadband to more than twice the number of properties than we did last year. The additional networks currently in construction and our significant pipeline of new networks clearly demonstrates the huge level of demand in rural areas for the unique service Gigaclear provides. The FTTP technology we deploy is more scalable than any other broadband infrastructure, future proofing these areas of the UK."

Chief Executive of Gigaclear, Matthew Hare/div>

The take-up levels eclipse most of the published take-up data for Openreach superfast services but this may in part be down to the locations where Gigaclear is delivering service which tend to be the slower areas and with the level of community engagement in the demand led roll-out areas awareness of the new service will also be extremely high, plus it is hard to not notice a FTTH roll-out in an area with its attendant construction work and it is likely that even if Gigaclear was just offering a 50 Mbps solution take-up would be similar as people are looking for anything that is better than the nothing or 4 Mbps they currently receive.

Posted by AndrueC about 1 year ago
Take-up in slow- and not- spots was presumably always going to be higher /in percentage terms/. Unfortunately even 90% of 'not very many people' is not as attractive to accountants as '10% of 'a helluva lot of people'.
Posted by WWWombat about 1 year ago
Takeup of 40% is the kinda minimum I would have expected.

On their commercial roll outs, don't they demand a takeup/interest level of something like this before they even start?

Their BDUK work obviously doesn't apply this registration/commitment, but I don't think any of that has gone live yet. Except Northmoor, maybe.
Posted by mdar5 about 1 year ago
On the commercial roll out - and I'm one, they say 30% signups minimum.
They told me they find more sign up once it is there and installed.
It requires a lot of effort by a local committee of interested persons to get the required numbers: I know I've been on it.

As I've previously said on here the reality is that a lot of people really do not give a toss about broadband and even if they get 50% that still leave at lot on perhaps 2 to 4Mbps who are simply not interested in SFBB
(despite what some on here and elsewhere seem to think)
Posted by Michael_Chare about 1 year ago
I can only agree with mdar5's comments. Getting the intial 30% to sign up is hard work, and can, I suspect, be a little frustrating for the organizers when the target is nearly met and some people don't want to make a commitment.
Posted by Blackmamba about 1 year ago
Hi Broadband Watchers.
It could be the 70% are very contented with their service or it is to exspencive to change or bad PR.
Posted by themanstan about 1 year ago
I'm fairly certain that most people consider a pint with friends down the pub or spending time with their kids more critical to their lives than BB...
Posted by ZenUser27 about 1 year ago
400 houses for residential. I know as I have been down that road too.
Posted by leexgx about 1 year ago
yep same here there is a business that i do work for and they seem quite happy with 2mb down and 0.6mb up (has FTTC with 40/10 to 80/20 possible as FCCT cab is less than 100 meters away)

i always have to plug a USB wireless card to get and connect to my phones data hotspot, anything done that requires a download

another location they are using 4xADSL (so thats 4 phone lines as well) line bonded to make 4x0.8mb ish connections (maybe 2-3mb/s as adsl lock could go as low as 600kbs)
Posted by fastman about 1 year ago
especially If the "supposed arrival" subject to the 30% take up has excluded your village from being covered under the BDUk programme which is increasingly happening -- its a phras called conditional white
Posted by comnut 12 months ago
The true fact is, many people do not use computers or internet that much!! One to three pages max with a friend I know...
The rest is just 'boasting' they have a supercar that will go 200MPH!! Do tell where you can actually go that speed... LOL

The same with internet..
Posted by comnut 12 months ago
And some who work with computers, do not use one at home..
Posted by ZenUser27 12 months ago
Agreed comnut - my internet is over 400mbps and I can get that easily from loads of places but not really used that much. Like a 200Mph car which you can only use on the autobans but not really anywhere else
Posted by mervl 12 months ago
Consumer choice is about giving the right to complain to (the usually vocal minority of) people that can't get what they want, and giving the right to (the usually silent majority of) people to refuse to have what they can't see a need for when they can live with what they've got and have other priorities. All the lecturing in the world won't change it. We all develop a deaf ear to what we don't want to hear.
Posted by JacktheMac 12 months ago
I’m sorry, but I think some of the above comments are plains stupid.

We have fought long and hard in our village to get service that’s better than 1Mbps and doesn’t require four or five router reboots a day. BT don't give fiddlers fart about connecting us, whereas Gigaclear see a compelling commercial case. To leap from a barely functioning service to 50, 100, 200, or 1000Mbps is something those of us in rural areas value highly.
Posted by JacktheMac 12 months ago
"my internet is over 400mbps and I can get that easily from loads of places but not really used that much”

That’s like saying 'I have tap water but don’t drink much'. When you have to get it from an unreliable well, you dream of water on tap...
Posted by fastman 12 months ago
jack the mac questions would you have been covered under BDUK or not

wonder who told you - you needed that - I assume don't need any of that -- you need about 35/40 mbps at max