New Fire TV box streams 4K Ultra HD content
Thursday 17 September 2015 18:22:46 by Andrew Ferguson

The killer app that is binge watching of TV series looks set to grow substantially with the launch of the Amazon Fire TV with 4K Ultra HD for £79.99.

The new Ultra HD set-top box promises to stream a growing library of Amazon Prime content that is available in 4K resolution and Amazon are also increasing the amount of their content available in 1080p resolution and by using the same HEVC codec used for the 4K content the HD streams may not need much more bandwidth that current content. The general rule is that for pre-recorded 4K content a reliable 20 Mbps to 25 Mbps connection is required and with 8GB of storage space the Fire TV will buffer a fair amount of shows and films to avoid buffering issues.

The new Fire TV includes an Ethernet port for the most reliable connection, but also supports dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi, and has a microSD slot with support for up to 128 GB so you can expand the storage on the device.

Comments

Posted by FlappySocks about 1 year ago
I just upgraded my TV, and whilst I don't need this set-top box as it has Android built in, I was pleasantly surprised how much 4K content there is now. Stunning picture quality, and no buffering using my FTTC connection.

Hope the BBC start doing 4K soon.
Posted by Dixinormous about 1 year ago
Excellent.

The more kit is made the cheaper it will get and more widespread. 2016 may be the year 4k starts to come into its own.
Posted by trevorasansom about 1 year ago
Important to my family,as my wife has hearing disability, are there any sub titles? Amazon Prime did not when I last enquired
Posted by brass4thing about 1 year ago
Won't this need to be HDCP 2.2 compliant and have HDMI 2 in order to access new 4k content a year down the line? As I understand it, all equipment from the TV downstream will have to be.
Posted by Sam234 about 1 year ago
@trevorasansom On the current Prime service (I don't have 4K) there is a closed caption option on at least some of the content.