More information on new Virgin Media ultrafast products
Friday 04 September 2015 12:05:21 by Andrew Ferguson

The information missing from the recent announcement about Virgin Media moving customers to 100 Mbps, 200 Mbps and 300 Mbps tiers starting in October 2015 was what will the upstream speeds be and now we can reveal that the 300 Mbps product will feature a 20 Mbps upload, and the 200 Mbps service a 12 Mbps upload.

Speed test from Virgin Media ultrafast cable broadband
Sample Virgin Media 300 Mbps download, 20 Mbps upload speed test

Virgin Media always over provision the cable modem connection speeds, which means that when conditions are right it is possible to get speed test results nailed to the sold speed or sometimes even slightly above.

Speed test from Virgin Media ultrafast cable broadband
Sample Virgin Media 200 Mbps download, 12 Mbps upload speed test

We will of course keep an eye on the profile of speeds from our speed test as the upgrades take place, as this will give a good idea of how the roll-out is progressing in terms of what proportion of customers nationally have been upgraded. Plus doubling the speed of something like 4 million to 4.5 million broadband connections will have a major impact on regional averages.

Comments

Posted by generallee94 11 months ago
LMAO!
Posted by generallee94 11 months ago
Just noticed how the uploads in the tests are more than the quoted comments, maybe they are higher than you think...

Virgin 3mbps upload product doesn't test at 3meg or above... its about 2.8!!
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) 11 months ago
You might test at 2.8, but variations on OS/AV/firewalls and network can mean others test at more e.g.

A variation of 0.1 to 0.3 Mbps when you go four times faster quickly becomes a variation in the 1 Mbps region.
Posted by generallee94 11 months ago
I know the differences in test results, and you last point is what I was getting at... and factoring in that most of Virgin's network is currently using 2 upstream channels on modems and each of those channels can achieve around 25-30meg (estimate) and those channels are shared with the neighbourhood,

It is possible that the 300/20 could actually be 300/30 and 200/12 could be 200/15 or even 200/20! but the speed is being held back by congestion maybe... specially when you look at the pattern of 300's result!
Posted by cks22 11 months ago
So is there any mention of what the new 100 Mb uploads will be?

My normal upload clocks about 2.8 but the past few weeks it seems to have gone up to a massive 3.1.
Posted by generallee94 11 months ago
Also I must make a correct myself regarding the 2.8Mb/s result on 50/3 service, I was confusing myself with the last generation 30/3 service.

The test result for the 50Mb/s service is as follows: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/143937859599339228827.png
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) 11 months ago
Location of where the test was done and it matching what we were whispered would be the upload and that this was not the only test hitting the criteria e.g.

Yes they might change the upload to 15 Mbps, but they might change it to 10 Mbps. We shall have to wait and see who is right.
Posted by Dixinormous 11 months ago
'It is possible that the 300/20 could actually be 300/30'

Nah.

Max Traffic Rate 337920000 bps

Max Traffic Rate 21504000 bps
Posted by Dixinormous 11 months ago
'factoring in that most of Virgin's network is currently using 2 upstream channels on modems and each of those channels can achieve around 25-30meg (estimate)'

Most of the network has 3 or 4 channels serving a neighbourhood, of which many modems are bonding 3. I have no doubt 4 will come at some point in the not too distant.

The channels deliver 18Mb, 22.5Mb or 27Mb depending on plant conditions.

What's impressive about these tests is that they were done on 8 channel modems. Speeds will be more stable when VM are providing CPE that bonds more channels. 24x8 is most common configuration now.
Posted by Suspishio 11 months ago
The shape of the 20 meg upload graph could be consistent with buffering in the router before transmit.
Posted by generallee94 11 months ago
@Dixinormous - It's my understanding that the only connections that are allowed to lock more than 2 upstreams channels are ones part of the Hotspot trial,

I'm sure it's not network dependant as I have two Virgin connections both using SH2's and both sharing the same network yet one connection locks 2 upstream and the other 3...
Posted by generallee94 11 months ago
You may also be getting 3 upstream channels as you are on a trial also.
Posted by Dixinormous 11 months ago
Didn't disagree that 3 upstreams isn't normal, just that many modems are bonding them. They have the WiFi sharing configuration.

It's academic anyway. The 300/20 product is not going to be released on 2 upstream channels or 8 downstream channels as things stand.
Posted by generallee94 11 months ago
Well from what Virgin is saying they will be releasing it over 8 downstream channels!!

It would be very expensive for them to give out now equipment "free of charge" to all its existing customers.
Posted by generallee94 11 months ago
As far as upstream speeds goes they released 120/12 and 152/12 to customers with only 1 upstream channel so can't see why Virgin wouldn't see it fit to release it to those with only 2.

Anyway, how's Virgin supposed to reach its target of killing peoples evening entertainment with over-utilisation if they don't saturate there networks!
Posted by Dixinormous 11 months ago
120/12 and 152/12 were never released on 1 channel.

VM had some problems after releasing 100/10 on a single channel so 120/12 didn't happen until upstream bonding.

There was the odd fault where people had a single channel though.
Posted by Dixinormous 11 months ago
Virgin aren't upgrading people by default, you have to ask, and have said nothing about releasing 300Mb on 8 channels. I can assure you they have no intention of doing so. Selling 75% of a bonded downstream group to a single customer is a really bad idea.
Posted by smitherz87 11 months ago
To my knowledge upstream has been on 2 channels for a long time. Alot still have 2 upstreams modulating on QAM 16, Majority will migrate to 3-4 on QAM 64. All dependant on the local plant schedules. Not sure if the current CPE is able to do 16 downstream channels in the near future as long as the modulation doesn't change then deffinately new CPE will be needed. To be fair 300Mbps isn't maxing the current setup with DOCSIS 3.1 likely around the corner its not a suprising upgrade. How smooth the network segments will run is dependant on how your local plant is run.
Posted by generallee94 11 months ago
I suppose we'll see how it all pans out.... what will be interesting too is if they do the rollout like previous ones where a new customer will get new speeds straight away and existing customers can call up for a manual upgrade or wait until Virgin throws out the configurations network wide!
Posted by generallee94 11 months ago
I might get a connection up and running again with Virgin on a trial and see if they have fixed the local utilisation issues when these new speeds are publicly available!
Posted by djfunkdup 11 months ago
So the first post you make says:LMAO! and you end the thread by saying:I might get a connection up and running again with Virgin... ;)

Man you got to love the internet lol
Posted by generallee94 11 months ago
What's your point.... this post did make me laugh... however I want to see first hand if Virgin have and will deliver on any of there promises...
Posted by comnut 11 months ago
All you **upload moaners** please note that VM is mainly for *normal* people (like my gran )that only want big downloads... They have only just got comfortable with internet, the rest will take a lot longer!!

go and find another company that will give you better uploading, wish you luck with price!! :)
Posted by generallee94 11 months ago
I'm not moaning about the upload, I was merely speculating that it could of been higher then 300/20 based on the test samples provided, however a trialist seems to have confirmed that Virgin are setting the configurations for a 300/20 service.

I do have to ask why you think Virgin Broadband is only for grans though... the adverts seem to boast a lot of Young family household activities, one of which is uploading video's online, be interesting as 4K is becoming the new norm and uploading a 4K video just yesterday can say it is no joke of a size!
Posted by roughbeast 11 months ago
I invariably get 160Mb/12.5Mb on my 152Mb/12Mb connection with Virgin Media. Network upgrades accompanying their roll out of higher speeds should ensure that more of us get more than we paid for.
Posted by roughbeast 11 months ago
generallee94 The speed you get with VM is sometimes higher because the modem configuration always allows for overheads. So my 152Mb connection is supported by a 168.9Mb config level. That is why I get 160Mb rather than 152Mb.
My modem is configure for 12.6Mb upstream. I always get 12.5Mb. The 200Mb product will have a similar upstream configuration so you are not going to get 20Mb on a good day.
Posted by comnut 11 months ago
As for those wanting 200M download.. do tell what website would be able to provide that!!
Just how many distros do you want to get??

Youtube D/L is still limited by them to about 50M..
Posted by comnut 11 months ago

generallee94:
I am NOT talking about any particular ISP - What I AM talking about, is those people who find it difficult using a computer, never mind Internet or even managing to find their way to this webpage!!!
I am sure you know the type, those that just say 'my Internet' or even 'my google' when describing their computer!

These are the major customers of most ISPs, whose understanding of 'download' is about as clear as most 10 year old's knowledge of brain surgery... :P :)
Posted by comnut 11 months ago
have a look at this..

you will see not many offer more than 20M upload - it depends whether you want content more than *reliability*

VM may not be 100% reliable, BUT *unlike* BT, the 'buck' stops there..:)

Go find a ISP that uses BT lines, with a nice big upload.. but when your download starts to falter, and the company blames BT, BT blames the company, etc, etc...
Posted by chrysalis 11 months ago
why do they over provision with all their capacity issues? incompetent capacity management?
Posted by chrysalis 11 months ago
Dixi VM will oversell, time and time again their rollout differs from their trial capacity management, corners will be cut. The bottom line rules all.
Posted by comnut 11 months ago
'over provision' is a bit like 'bakers dozen' - when egg sizes were unreliable, to ensure proper weight..
Posted by generallee94 11 months ago
@comnut - as many on here may agree, having a downstream bandwidth of 300Mb/s is not really required in many house holds, however despite that there is benefits to have DSL based services such as BT's,

Unfortunately based on your comments on this story I do believe you don't have the knowledge required to understand the differences between DSL and DOCSIS... this is not intended to cause any offence.

The final comments on upload and these new service tiers are as follows, Bravo Virgin for levelling the playing field with there biggest competitors (BT) by matching there service tiers 300/20.
Posted by comnut 11 months ago
generallee94:
*where* did I actually mention those acronyms??? :)
Posted by comnut 11 months ago
*please* note, I am speaking to the 'other' people as well... :) :)

Hmm, I sure wish the 'Happy family' in the adverts was true...

Based on some comments I doubt if they know how to maintain active directory effectively...

and people forget, this site is about the *whole* UK...

you may be in the middle of wales, where you feel *lucky* to get 4 M!!!
and then you get a call from a mate in the south, saying how great virgin is.. (who are they, you grumble...)

and then someone will say "FOUR MEG????? I'm lucky to get 0.5M!!!"
forgetting to say he is in Islay, scotland..
Posted by roughbeast 11 months ago
Comnut. With 300Mb I will be able to download a 2Gb file in 30 seconds. That means I can cane the network so briefly no one will notice.

At 152 Mb there are plenty servers that download at that speed. With torrents the sky is the limit . Your download speed is a combination of all the speeds of the uploaders.
Posted by block860 11 months ago
Utilizes Active Queue Management to significantly reduce network delay as data traffic grows in the home network, dramatically improving responsiveness for applications such as online gaming...docsis 3.1 sounds good to me
Posted by comnut 11 months ago
roughbeast:
Of course, you are taking about **download**... :)
I wonder if the 'uploaders' have any clue about torrents....
I dont do it myself, so DO correct me... :)
Youtube does limit speed itself, I got only 30Mb download, but did a distro at 100 Mb...
Posted by comnut 11 months ago
Dear thinkbroadband...

Do tell us how, without any fancy stuff like DOCSIwhat, is it possible for a switch / hardware improvement/ new protocol/ whatever to increase the upload and stop people saying "20Mbps is not enough"..
Me, I want a car that can can go at 200 MPH, to get me to work faster... :E

seriously though, do tell us, there is so much 'snake oil' out there... :)
Posted by comnut 11 months ago
I guess most have given up on the article, its now 'over the page'.. this list of UPLOAD speeds may interest..:)