Vodafone Connect fixed line broadband rolling across UK now
Thursday 13 August 2015 15:38:20 by Andrew Ferguson

Vodafone re-entered the fixed line broadband market back in June 2015 and has three packages available to existing Vodafone mobile customers (price will be £5 per month more expensive once eventually available to non Vodafone mobile customers). After a three month soft launch period the operator has now started the rapid roll-out across the UK.

"Available at speeds up to 76 Mbps, Vodafone’s nationwide fibre optic, business-grade network reaches exchanges which pass around 22 million premises across the UK. Combined with the plug-and-play Vodafone router, the service delivers speed, reliability, unlimited data and cutting-edge features which let customers share, stream and shop to their hearts’ content."

Vodafone on roll-out

The 22 million premises is referring to the footprint of the Openreach GEA-FTTC network which underpins the up to 38 Mbps and up to 76 Mbps products. The ADSL2+ service is based on what was the old C&W LLU network with various updates and expansions, hence their description of a 'nationwide fibre optic, business-grade network reaches exchanges', which is pretty much what Sky and TalkTalk have already.

The difference Vodafone appear to be offering is a more tightly integrated control of the Vodafone router to do things like boost wireless speeds by adjusting QoS parameters for a single wireless device, better control over time limits for parents and guest Wi-Fi network support. Most of these functions appear is a variety of broadband routers, but by creating a mobile based app it should make it easier for people to exploit the features.

The promise of an easy switching service would be more appealing if Ofcom had not changed the rules in June, so now it is the case that pretty much every migration should only ever need you to contact your new provider.

One downside in a digital world is that it says you can sign-up online but this appears to really be a registration of interest form, rather than a full sign-up system.

If Vodafone wants to play with the big operators there is a steep hill to climb to gain the a couple of million customers to be considered a big player.

Posted by TheEulerID about 1 year ago
It's difficult to see how there's room for more than four major retail operators in the UK market. To a large extent, functionality is dictated by the unerlying technology. What that means (for the vast majority) is ADSL, VDSL2 or DOSIS3. Only the former has any real infrastructure competition, and really that only competes on price or content. That won't change with G.FAST.
So, unless Vodafone decide to bet really big on infrastructure competition they are just faced with a long, slow grind of retail packages. Maybe, just maybe, they'll make a bi bet with Liberty Global (Virgin Media).
Posted by generallee94 about 1 year ago
to a point, what Vodafone have done here is brought another LLU network to the market... I know the C&W LLU network has been available on the market for years but it wasn't used by any major providers, Vodafone is a bit bigger than some of the small providers that used the C&W LLU network, Tesco & Xilo where ones that I know certainly used it but not sure they do anymore.

SO Vodafone is bring an new infrastructure to the market (in a sense)
Posted by Blackmamba about 1 year ago
Hi broadband Watchers.
As Vodafone has taken over (C&W network ) they will have to give a good service for the money that has been spent or they will loose their customers very quickly and go the same way as C&W ISP,s did.
Posted by baby_frogmella about 1 year ago
Hi Black
Many moons ago, Vodafone used to provide a top class ADSL1/2+ connection running as a BT white label service. I have high hopes for their FTTC service (using their own backhaul) and may jump ship to them if they offer a static ip address.
Posted by Blackmamba about 1 year ago
Hi Babe.
I hope they provide a good service because they have the old (C&W) backhand)
In Haslemere on code 01428 I have just in the last few days seen a line working in Elstead area on Thinkbroadband map which has fibre to the post code. The person next to my old exchange worked for (C&W) so we were always talking about BT and it's workings he worked on the provision of fibre in London plus the rail network.
Posted by leexgx about 1 year ago
"I have high hopes for their FTTC service (using their own backhaul)"
FTTC is virtual unbundling (even the backhaul at the BT exchange is just paid for network capacity now) as the cost to do real unbundling costs more then virtual unbundling (as all your doing is pressing a button to change routing and phone service number, old LLU some one had to physical goto the exchange and mess with wires)
Posted by AngeOuDiable about 1 year ago
Personally I'm impressed with the service. Was with Voda last time they did home broadband, and was really happy with the service until it was sold off to PlusNet.

Switched back to Voda Ultrafast a month ago and I'm really happy. I'm approximately 1.2km from the cabinet and getting average speeds of around 38-39Mbps. The average for my postcode area is around 27.9Mbps, so running 1/3 faster than the average is good for me. Once or twice when I've done a speed test, I've briefly hit a 76Mbps peak, although this is the exception to the usual speeds.
Posted by AngeOuDiable about 1 year ago
My only issue with the transfer is the reliance on BT Openreach to connect the line. BT disconnected my service at 00:30 and didn't connect me to Voda until 19:20. Otherwise, it's been an absolute joy :)
Posted by Blackmamba about 1 year ago
Hi Ange.
Please remember the contractors only work between (0800----2000 hours) if the work required a Cab change.
Posted by AngeOuDiable about 1 year ago
Hi Blackmamba,

Yes, I appreciate that, as Voda informed me that it would take place any time between 07:00 and 19:00. So my expectations were managed - it's just a small niggle, nothing more. I'm delighted with the service and would recommend them to anyone considering a switch. They also saved me money on my PAYM mobile at the same time.