Free fibre broadband from Plusnet for six months
Friday 17 July 2015 08:31:25 by Andrew Ferguson

Plusnet has changed its unlimited fibre broadband offer from £5 per month for six months to FREE for the first six months. The free offer applies to both the low cost and rural area pricing, so that after the six months the majority will pay £14.99 per month and those outside the low cost areas will be pay £22.49. The free broadband offer is scheduled to end on 27th August 2015.

The fibre service is an up to 38 Mbps download and up to 2 Mbps upload product, and requires voice line rental to be paid at £15.95 per month, though this increases to £16.99 per month on 2nd September 2015. The phone service includes free evening and weekend calls to 01, 02 & 03 UK landline numbers and free calls to other Plusnet customers.

While Plusnet does not offer its fibre service directly where Openreach native FTTP is the superfast broadband option available (service is normally provisioned using FTTC - VDSL2), existing Plusnet customers can upgrade, or you can join Plusnet on an ADSL2+ based service and migrate products subsequently.

Posted by David-Park about 1 year ago
I joined Plusnet earlier this year product is good but I found Customer Service lacking, they do seem to be doing a lot of promotions can they cope with lots of new customers?
Posted by zhango about 1 year ago
I had a chat to them on the phone and the guy couldn't answer my question but was going to phone back although he didn't.
Posted by ZenUser27 about 1 year ago
Look at the customer forums.. There will be planet of people leaving to make room for you but no is the answer they can't there have been speed problems for a very long time now.

And they cut support from 7.30am till 10.30am it used to be 24/7 (still is for business customers)
Posted by AndrueC about 1 year ago
I think the speed issues are configuration related though rather than capacity. People find that if they trigger a gateway jump they eventually get a full speed connection.

I've been lucky for the past couple of months because my connection is stable and the last gateway I ended up on is giving full speed 24/7. It is a bit annoying though that the issue is still ongoing after so many months.
Posted by mdar5 about 1 year ago
Plusnet is now just a low cost pile em high sell em cheap supplier for what is merely another commodity we buy.
Forget personal service or them answering difficult questions - it's now take it or leave it - like something from Tesco.
Your average customer is now only interested in paying the lowest price possible but will complain loudly when they get the sort of service such a price commands (ie rubbish).
BB is now a mature market so there are no "new customers" so growth can only be achieved by short term offers to attract users from other ISP's:

This is all standard market cycles.
Posted by adslmax about 1 year ago
38/2 is pretty rubbish
Posted by JNeuhoff about 1 year ago
The article is a bit confusing here.

Are you really talking about fibre broadband here, or (more likely the case) about a copper VDSL service?
Posted by chrysalis about 1 year ago
mdar5 got it in one.

Plusnet are now taking the stance they dont care if their network deteriorates, because these constant all year round offers gives them a constant supply of new customers.

The performance issues have dragged on since january 2015 and the stance they taking is burying their head in the sand.

Sadly TBB only published multi threaded speed test results which has completely hidden the issue.
Posted by BREWERDAVE about 1 year ago
I'm currently happy with my PN service -getting ~ 16Mb down with ADSL2+.Also due to some sort of internal exercise they have decided that my Exchange is really Market 2/3 rather than 1-and backdated the change to July 2014,with the result that I'm getting free b/band now (and a rebate for last year)-so I'm not changing til next Summer.
Will have to see what sort of deals appear in 2016 especially as Sky are keen to take my business!!!
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) about 1 year ago
@chrysalis Only multi threaded so far...
Posted by momist about 1 year ago
Like BREWERDAVE I'm happy with Plusnet. Just doen a speed test at 10:30pm - busy period - and got this:
Suits me, I see no reason to go to fibre.