Half price fibre and free ADSL2+ from SSE
Thursday 16 April 2015 10:04:27 by Andrew Ferguson

SSE may be better known for its gas and electricity packages, but its new broadband offers that run until 16th September 2015 have turned up the competition level a notch or two.

All three products carry an 18 month contract. As is normal voice line rental is required and is priced at £12 per month, or if you want to add free anytime UK calls (including 20 other countries) the line rental rises to £20 per month.

Comments

Posted by broadband66 about 1 year ago
Locked-in for 3.5 years!
Posted by fabrettitd about 1 year ago
I was just going to say - 3.5 years!? Suddenly the incentive dies..
Posted by zyborg47 about 1 year ago
A little bit long, but at £10 a month for two years if the service is ok, that is a hell of a saving. If there are problems, and they are not providing a decent service, you can get out of that contract.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) about 1 year ago
Where is the 3-5 year lock in from? Telephone and broadband contracts over 2 years are NOT allowed.

I think someone may have mis-read my original wording so going to alter the text to avoid any scope for confusion.
Posted by rtho782 about 1 year ago
Actually decent pricing, but I'd rather see a more interesting product. Can't we have broadband over power lines? :D
Posted by fabrettitd about 1 year ago
Sorry that's how it read to me. And one assumes just like a "12 months free on 18 month contract" or something that was 2 years free and then 18 months. They could argue as the 2 years is free they aren't asking for more than 18 months but in affect they have you connected for 3.5 years.

The 2 years being the condition you do the 18 months after.

They CS is rubbish anyway - you get what you pay for. And if UKIP force the prices down on energy companies this will struggle
Posted by alexdow about 1 year ago
Re broadband over power lines, I recollect that Scottish Hydro tested something along those (power)lines, several years back. Around Aberbrothwick/Arbroath possibly.

I think there were problems at the power line interfaces such as transformers etc - and that did not involve the higher frequencies involved with today's broadband varieties.
Posted by adslmax about 1 year ago
3.5 Yearts contract (no thanks) just spoken to SSE say 2 years free fibre up to 76Mbps but after 2 years price going up with a 42 months contract
Posted by oliver341 about 1 year ago
What is the traffic management policy on SSE? I can't find the information on their website.