Relish chosen to bring superfast broadband to 99.4% of Swindon
Thursday 19 March 2015 14:40:24 by Andrew Ferguson

Swindon is providing a perfect opportunity for alternatives to BT to show what they are really capable of as UK Broadband (Relish) has been given approval to go ahead with a £1.9 million project to go ahead with installing 16 masts to ensure coverage at 99.4% of homes in the Swindon council area.

4G LTE Performance with Relish from trial in Swindon
Click image for full size version

The map above includes Chiseldon (cluster of tests in southern part of the map) which has been taking part in the trial with the Parish Council keen to promote the 4G LTE solution now they've experienced speeds of 38 to 40 Mbps after previously having just 1 to 2 Mbps. The dense area of tests in the west area of Swindon when zoomed in shows more of what the superfast 4G LTE solution can provide.

The largest part of Swindon that has been calling out for superfast broadband has been the new build estates in the north near the Orbital Retail Park, and while some homes have access to Virgin Media cable the majority of the growing community are still on ADSL2+ with speeds ranging from 1 Mbps to 17 Mbps with the average running around 10 Mbps.

As things stand currently the combination of BT and Virgin Media means 81.5% of households have the option of a superfast service at 30 Mbps or faster (74% have the ultra-fast 152 Mbps option), so boosting this to 99.4% will be a significant leap so long as the speeds are a decent way above the bare minimum 24 Mbps threshold. A quick calculation puts the cost of the project at around £119 for every property that will gain access to superfast broadband and does not already have access.

Posted by Mitchy_mitch about 1 year ago
I've been using cotswold wireless for 17 months now and it's been pretty much perfect. Even when Relish expand their network in the town, i think i will stay with CW. Hopefully relish will allow other isp's to use their new masts. Time for people to move their phones over to voip and embrace the technology. It's the best we are going to get for the time being. Also no outages in the past 17 months for me. I also think in theory the 4G LTE is capable of 100Mbps.
Posted by fastman about 1 year ago
be interesting to see a what the connection rate is and what actually people get in reality when thata the only horse in town
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) about 1 year ago
Will also be interesting to see how much extra coverage Virgin Media does with its £3 billion expansion over the next few years. New build roads that are now adopted by the council will be prime targets, particularly with VM so surrounding many of the areas.
Posted by WWWombat about 1 year ago
So Sweet neon has some form of exemption that allows state aid for wireless?
Posted by WWWombat about 1 year ago
Interesting choice by the spellchecker there for 'Swindon'!
Posted by michaels_perry about 1 year ago
It amazes me that when new areas of housing are being planned that no one ever thinks of providing a modern infrastructure for the new occupants and businesses! The need for improvements of water, electricity, gas, schools, transport services is ignored and they completely forget about laying in fibre before building starts - it's far cheaper to do then that it is to do later.
Joined up thinking? I don't think so.
Posted by clinkadink about 1 year ago
Tell me about it. I live in Taw Hill, part of the "new build estates in the north near the Orbital Retail Park". Been here for 5 years now on a 6 meg connection. It costs a tenner a month plus BT line rental. £25 for 6 meg is painful. I cannot understand why fibre wasn't put in first. They keep saying 'fibre coming in the next 6 months'. I have given up waiting and got myself a unlimited 4GEE data sim for £20 month. With that I get between 18 - 25 meg, even whilst out and about. When my contract is up with Sky/BT, I will not be renewing it. 4GEE is superfast (compared to what I am used to).