Illegal access to TalkTalk customer data behind rise in scamming
Friday 27 February 2015 10:15:42 by Andrew Ferguson

We are all used to the inbox full of 'invoice' spam that seems to be the current favourite doing the rounds, but TalkTalk customers may have been targeted in more personal ways by email or phone it seems following illegal access to some customer data including account numbers, but TalkTalk does highlight that no financial data was accessed due to this being encrypted.

TalkTalk is being a little coy about the exact nature of scope of the illegal data access, but it would be no great surprise to eventually learn that this may have been an inside job or even the result of carefully crafted phishing attacks that have let outsiders have access to the information.

The old adage of trust no-one is never more true and certainly if someone phones you out of the blue and asks you to visit a website to install some software even if they seem to know a lot about you or your account with the firm they say they work for do not trust them. Tricksters and fraudsters are an age old profession and unfortunately the Internet of Humans means the number of people they can easily reach has increased massively in the last decade.

Comments

Posted by Spud2003 about 1 year ago
Data was(is?) still being stolen up until at least the 15th of Feb -

On the forums they say the source has been found and stopped, but they've been investigating their call centres since the beginning of Dec 2014. So they're basically claiming to have solved the stolen data problem in the last two weeks. I don't believe them ...
Posted by AndrueC about 1 year ago

Been working for me and keeping me 99.9% spam free for over a decade.
Posted by Spud2003 about 1 year ago
@AndrueC

The TalkTalk forum sub-section dealing with this is called "Scam Calls" - so I'm guessing most of the criminality is happening over the phone.
Posted by jtthedevil about 1 year ago
Had these calls a couple of times. They are able to give all your details, name, address, postcode etc. so there's a leak somewhere and its not at my end. Usually they are trying to get remote access to your computer. If I have the time, I usually try to keep them on the line by playing along with them. last one was 20mins before he finally got fed up of my lack of 'computer skills' to carry out what he was trying to talk me through. The call ended with a mouthful of abuse and swearing. From his end. Well that was 20mins he wasn't going to be trying to scam anyone else :-)
Posted by SteveToplek about 1 year ago
Find out who they want, keep them talking, then without giving details say "can I give you a phone number", which they never refuse to take .... and give them a premium rate number (lots of chat no's in the local rag).