1.9 million superfast premises passed by BDUK project
Saturday 07 February 2015 11:20:34 by Andrew Ferguson

The Department of Culture Media and Sport has announced a figure of 1,908,725 premises already passed and able to get superfast broadband using public money via BDUK projects may be of little comfort to the few million still not able to get superfast broadband, but the project is continuing and thus every week more people gain the option.

Cumulative to end of: Premises with superfast broadband service made available BDUK funding (£) Number of premises covered per £million of broadband delivery programme expenditure
December 2012 254 £434,735 584
March 2013 16,638 £6,767,185 2,459
June 2013 38,343 £6,767,185 5,666
September 2013 111,968 £10,347,568 10,821
December 2013 273,731 £14,182,547 19,301
February 2014 370,000 n/a n/a
March 2014 508,801 £58,586,408 8,685
June 2014 888,113 £72,437,233 12,260
September 2014 1,383,777 £99,766,011 13,870
December 2014 1,908,725 £252,084,918 7,572

The BDUK update from the DCMS makes it clear that this 1.9 million figure excludes those who cannot get superfast (i.e. a speed of 24 Mbps or faster) and also importantly does not include premises where there is an overlap with an existing superfast service, e.g. Virgin Media cable. In areas where overlaps with existing services exist projects should be adjusting the gap funding so that less public money is used on those cabinets.

The sums of money published by the BDUK represent the money from central Government, so do not include any funding from ERDF, local councils and of course the contribution from BT themselves. This means that the level of public funding broadly doubles, but this will vary from council to council and cabinet to cabinet.

Of course the percentage getting superfast speeds is not the whole story and while no official figures are available from the DCMS we have looked at England, Scotland and Wales and the table below shows the current expected spread of speeds for the FTTC/FTTP services that have been deployed both commercially and via the BDUK process.

thinkbroadband.com analysis of FTTC roll-out speeds
Speed England Scotland Wales
Under 2 Mbps 2.9% 5.2% 2.5%
2 to 4 Mbps 0.6% 0.6% 0.8%
4 to 10 Mbps 1.1% 0.9% 1.5%
10 to 15 Mbps 1.9% 1.6% 2.7%
15 to 24 Mbps 1.8% 1.7% 2.9%
Superfast (over 24 Mbps) 91.6% 89.9% 89.5%
Superfast (over 60 Mbps) 29.5% 28.3% 19.6%
Ultrafast (native GEA-FTTP) 0.75% 0.0002% 0.001%

It needs to be highlighted that this excludes any ADSL/ADSL2+ or cable speeds and is purely a picture of how VDSL2 appears to be performing across the landscape and is not a study into how close the USC is to becoming reality. Obviously the picture does not translate as a speed template to every cabinet or exchange, since there are variations in the distribution of premises. The gap funded roll-out is the only reason there is some GEA-FTTP in Scotland and Wales and while the coverage is very small it is growing.

Comments

Posted by chefbyte about 1 year ago
I would of been in those stats but my cab was missed off and i now site in a broadband oasis in the middle of town while all around me users are enjoying superfaqst speeds and im still on 8 megs
Posted by rcho about 1 year ago
I could have almost copied and pasted you comment and it would have applied to me. My cabinet was missed because they would have to do a little bit of work to it apparently. SO the max I can get in my area is about 8.5 meg.
Posted by WWWombat about 1 year ago
Are those sync speeds or download speeds?
Posted by fastman about 1 year ago
you have hit the nail on the head -- you are probalby on a small cab where the price per premise is high -- you have 8 meg and there are probably better cabs that cover more premises and take more people from Sub 2 met - > 24 m/bps which is answer to the bduk exam question
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) about 1 year ago
Given FTTC has minimal overheads, so 80 Mbps sync becomes 76 Mbps maximum throughput, it makes little difference at the lower end.

Download speeds of course will vary according to the ISP chosen too and which product a user buys.

Posted by rcho about 1 year ago
"Are those sync speeds or download speeds?"
In my case, connection speeds.
I would take a wild guess there are maybe 80-120 on my cabinet, whether that's a tiny, small or medium number I have no idea.
There's also a disadvantage that my cab is probably the last one in the chain as I live on the coast.
The sad fact is I'd take out 38/76 immediately but it looks like it will be years before that happens now, if ever.
Posted by Blackmamba about 1 year ago
Hi Andrew staff.
As above which ISP gives the max speed on a post code say at a range of 1 mile will it make a differance if it is business or residual will they use range A or B.
Posted by fastman about 1 year ago
the will use the openreach speed at a network level
Posted by gc01 about 1 year ago
What is the current minimum sync speed at which FTTC will be provisioned ? I though it was either 15Mbps or 5 Mbps - so do the first two rows (under 2Mbps and 2 to 4Mbps) represent congested networks ? I would imagine anyone who pays a premium price for FTTC and gets 2Mbps or less throughput is not likely to be happy.
Posted by gerarda about 1 year ago
They seem to have dropped the minimum as I upgraded from 0.5mb to 2.1mb. I got an introductory deal so it wont cost me any more before the BDUK upgrade arrives. However I am not telling the neighbours as I suspect a bit more congestion on the line might destroy the small benefit I got.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) about 1 year ago
@gc01

Nothing at all to do with congested networks at all. Openreach for the under 2 Mbps VDSL2 estimates often does not offer the service at all.

The figures we have worked are there to help people understand the extent of the NOT superfast.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) about 1 year ago
@gerarda since your line is your line and 2 Mbps is well below the 15 Mbps commit rate you should not see congestion on the Openreach element. What you might see if the cable bundle fills up is crosstalk.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) about 1 year ago
@blackmamba

Gone over this before, but the Range A and Range B are not something the ISP picks when providing the service.

Three FTTC products, GEA-FTTC 40/2, 40/10 and 80/20. The congestion element and difference between business and residential only kicks in at the backhaul from exchange to the Internet, i.e. outside Openreach control.

Choice of ISP will not affect the connection speed in a postcode. Openreach DLM decides all of that for the ISP.
Posted by burble about 1 year ago
@chefbyte, @rcho.
Our local cabinet was upgraded last year, even with this and paying the FTTC premium, 8meg is not achievable for me.
Posted by gerarda about 1 year ago
@ andrew that's what I meant - the crosstalk could be horrendous on a 3.5km run especially if 30 or 40 neighbours decided to take up the service.
Posted by Blackmamba about 1 year ago
Hi Andrews staff
Thanks for your reply.
Posted by WWWombat about 1 year ago
@gerarda
You upgraded onto 2.1Mbps with FTTC?

If so, what further BDUK upgrade are you expecting to arrive?
Posted by WWWombat about 1 year ago
@andrew
Asked about throughput vs sync speeds because it matters near the boundaries. It also matters when congestion rears its head.
Posted by gerarda about 1 year ago
@wwwombat
We are part of the SEP
Posted by Blackmamba about 1 year ago
Hi Wombat
I think you are correct over the boundaries issues (Surrey target 15 meg on post code) this is at a range of a mile plus if a ISP has congestion on is back haul it is likely to record a low result plus on it,s provision date has a fault on its location.
Posted by chilting about 1 year ago
I feel duped by the BDUK scheme, I was promised 8Mbps but could only get 5.5Mbps when I signed up and now because of crosstalk this has fallen to 3.5Mbps. Mind you at least I get some benefit, we still have people on dial up on our exchange. Why WSCC BDUK has just left the job half finished, with its total reliance on the BT network, is nothing short of incompetent.
Posted by AndyCZ about 1 year ago
Who promised you 8Mbps?
Posted by Blackmamba about 1 year ago
Hi Chil
On Thursday my daughters line was changed from EO to CAB 1 exchange Copdock her line lenght from the exchange was 1.5 miles she was with Plusnet speed 4 meg down this was covered by BDUK. After checking the window on speed 2.7--- .3 FTTC this was on a 50 pair overhead cable from the Exchange and serves the small village at 1.1 miles from Exchange. It will be very cheap to provide overhead fibre and power to this location and fit another unit with the claw back money. The exchange has only 580 customers.
Posted by chilting about 1 year ago
Hi Blackmamba
Yes, I can see that small changes make all the difference and don't cost a fortune. In our case we have another fibre cabinet just 500m away. It would be very easy just to intercept our cable, that feeds 30+ properties, and with the aid of 2 or 3 telegraph poles connect us to the other cabinet but WSCC BDUK won't consider this because it would be overbuilding.
Posted by chilting about 1 year ago
@AndyCZ
It was predicted by BT wholesale. This was the lower estimate, the top clean estimate was 13.7 Mbps. The prediction now is in the range of 1.1 to 3.8 Mbps.
Other customers on the West Chiltington exchange who are further away from their cabinet are predicted speeds of 0.4 to 1.5 Mbps on FTTC. I am not sure if they have ordered the "upgrade".
Posted by astateoftrance about 1 year ago
So looks like we will be getting FTTP here, making me in the top 0.001%.... shame that's not financially speaking :)
Posted by Blackmamba about 1 year ago
Hi Chil
If you are 500 Mtres from a Cab (FTTC with a fibre node ) it would be cheaper to provide fibre direct to your home this could be in the program keep your speed test on thinkbroad map remember Openreach checks this forum and their Web/page.
Posted by WWWombat about 1 year ago
@gerarda
Wow. Didn't realise the SEP plans were that advanced yet
Posted by WWWombat about 1 year ago
@chilting
WSCC still getting muddled over overbuilding?

Look at @gerarda... Gets an FTTC upgrade through BDUK phase 1, which takes him over the 2Mbps threshold, but not over the superfast threshold.

Will still be included in the SEP project, targeted with a further upgrade aimed at beating the superfast threshold.

All that sounds precisely the kind of overbuild that is acceptable. Is that the kind of thing WSCC are stopping?
Posted by gerarda about 1 year ago
@wwwombat

To be accurate I got an FTTC upgrade from the commercial rollout two years ago, although only when openreach dropped its minimum speed requirement could I order one, but most of the area remains a notspot. Hence the SEP money
Posted by gerarda about 1 year ago
@wwwombat

Suffolk signed their SEP contract in October, although there has been deathly silence ever since.
Posted by Blackmamba about 1 year ago
Hi Broadband Watchers.
My understand of commercial CAB,s and the plant off that unit tax payers money can not be used to get it above 2 meg on post code.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) about 1 year ago
@blackmamba - care to rephrase that last post as it makes no sense to me.
Posted by WWWombat about 1 year ago
@gerarda
Ah, right. I stand corrected.

As for Suffolk's SEP plans: I've been watching for some mention of the new plans, as it sets a ballpark timescale for future SEP projects. I didn't think I'd heard anything yet...
Posted by Blackmamba about 1 year ago
Hi Andrew Staff
If I said a VBA unit which is the equivalent unit which was used on PCM on junction routes can not be paid for by tax payers money on a (commercial FTTC ) to get the line in the SFB window (24 meg) but could be used on BDUK CAB,s by using the claw back money. (The PCM regenerator was in the cable pair and was powered from the exchange over a extra pair from the exchange this produced 30 junctions.) I think you may see why I have been trying to get customers to take up the service on all Cabs in Surrey so the money can be spent on the long lines.
Posted by WWWombat about 1 year ago
@blackmamba
Be careful...
You need to be sure whether the "rule" you state is because of the cabinet state, or is merely because the project is limited to an intervention area that was devised years ago with assumptions that turned out to be wrong.

A lot of projects are going into phase 2 with revisions to the Intervention Area because old assumptions have turned out to be wrong.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) about 1 year ago
@blackmamba Next post makes some sense once you figure out the acronyms. So where is your campaign to get everyone in Surrey to buy the FTTC services, I thought you were just obsessed with Hindhead.
Posted by WWWombat about 1 year ago
I wonder about projects for the claw back funds... It obviously doesn't make sense to re-invest in dribs & drabs, but it makes sense to keep going with more work while the teams are present to manage it.

I wonder how they'll go about it.
Posted by WWWombat about 1 year ago
It sounds like Surrey could do with a new OMR.
Posted by gerarda about 1 year ago
@wwwombat The last official Suffolk update was
Posted by Blackmamba about 1 year ago
Hi Andrews staff
I think you would have been obsessed with the problems on Hindhead Cab 12 when it has taken 9 months to get a card changed out in the FTTC which had been faulty from the day of opening. I still think there is a problem on the post codes. I should know about the 22 of Feb as the the SKY/o2 results drop off.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) about 1 year ago
If you are working officially for the Surrey project and want to pay for access to longer term speed test data then that can be discussed.

Remember you cannot presume that Sky and O2 results will drop off, unless you are FORCING people to NOT test. People have a free choice of provider etc.

Your attempts to work from the public map will be doomed to failure or mis-interpretation.
Posted by Blackmamba about 1 year ago
Hi Andrew Staff
I am not working for the Surrey project and I am not Forcing people not to test or chose a differant provider on all my action I have tried to keep the customers mind open if you wish to check my remarks look on Grayshott Web Site. I will not fail from your result on Thinkbroadband map. I do think it is a very good tool and we did find the Cab Card fault from it only after a second customer ZEN had troubles At no time have I said your results are in correct or your remarks.
Phil Elisha. EX. BT. Surrey Area.
Posted by Blackmamba about 1 year ago
Hi Andrews Staff
I have calculated that the SKY/O2 will start dropping off aprox 22 FEB after 4 months results . I have checked two other sites.