Superfast Broadband Nation to be helped with TV advert
Monday 15 December 2014 19:09:05 by Andrew Ferguson

A new advertising campaign by the BDUK (Broadband Delivery UK) is set to try and push the levels of take-up for superfast broadband.

The advert campaign follows on the heels of a £3m campaign to boost demand for vouchers as part of the ConnectedCities scheme and is trying to highlight how widely available superfast broadband services are.

The advert is meant to encourage people to go to the website gov.uk/gosuperfast which links to Openreach, Virgin Media and KC, but does miss out mentioning the increasingly numerous alternative superfast options that are popping up. The measure of how long the site has been in development is given by the 78% of UK homes and businesses can get superfast broadband, and the DCMS has already declared the 80% mark broken.

The advert is pushing the boundaries we believe with the term Superfast Nation, since if this was an actual broadband provider there would need to lines of caveats scrolling past about availability and that it may cost more than standard broadband. Some acknowledgement that the job is not complete and the building work is on-going might help to avoid the predictable social media backlash.

The UK as a Superfast Nation is very much a task in hand, and while an increasing number of local authorities are hitting the 90% with the option of a superfast (fibre availability is higher) target, we are three years from the 95% target and it might be 2020 before we are a fully superfast nation if the spending and building manages to continue.

Comments

Posted by George99 about 1 year ago
The greed of some of the investment companies that own new estate builds and the building management companies that provide maintenance are proving obstructive to the implementation of FTTP superfast broadband.

Posted by JNeuhoff about 1 year ago
@George99:

"I will publicly identify who has been obstructive and how"

Why can't do that now?
Posted by TheEulerID about 1 year ago
One thing that could be done of course is to leaflet areas as they are enabled by BDUK. It can be done relatively cheaply by area (very cheaply if the number of VM envelopes coming through my door is a guide) and it could give clear, ISP neutral information.
They might want to delay a month or two to avoid adding to the initial rush.
Posted by George99 about 1 year ago
@JNeuhoff: I will give the process one last chance.

I've spent the last 18months wading through syrup, and have made a lot of progress but the building management company is being difficult about allowing acesss to buildings for the last stages of the fibre survey.

The building management company has been obstructive every step of the way thus far.

Once the fibre supplier calls time, so will I and the knives will be out.
Posted by chilting about 1 year ago
"The advert is pushing the boundaries we believe with the term Superfast Nation"
Posted by chefbyte about 1 year ago
Sat in a broadband oasis here in Grimsby with every one around me able to get it except my Cab, this advert is just another knife in the back for me.

Makes me wonder why i got 100K signatures in the past to get ADSL into my region now.
Posted by George99 about 1 year ago
Why only virgin and BT mentioned, what about Hyperoptipc and Gigabit ....why were these suppliers. It mentioned?
Posted by mikejp about 1 year ago
chilting - "The BDUK site Better Connected Sussex offered me "Superfast" broadband. I signed up last July, my current speed is about 4Mbps - hardly superfast!!!"- not forgetting those in the village not far from you who according to West Susssex County Council's recently published maps will not even get 2Mb by 2017.....
Posted by Gadget about 1 year ago
@Chilting - and what speed did you have before you signed up for the superfast service?
Posted by chilting about 1 year ago
@Gadget
About 1.5Mbps on ADSL2. When I signed up the BT wholesale checker quoted a top speed of 13.7Mbps. It now only quotes a top speed of 2.9Mbps.
I am 1.8km from my fibre cabinet and 5.6km from the exchange.
I have another fibre cabinet that serves some of my near neighbours just 650m away.
Posted by fastman about 1 year ago
george which development is that

Posted by George99 about 12 hours ago

If I don't get progress here in Gidea Park, Kidman Close, Romford then I will ultimately move. And before doing so I will publicly identify who has been obstructive and how. so so who have you spoken to -- who is the developer ?

Posted by fastman about 1 year ago
George -- enabling PCP 54 would be easierst and less disruptive process
Posted by WWWombat about 1 year ago
@George
Pragmatic suggestion: Don't go shouting about how bad things are until *after* you've left the house. And perhaps not even then.

Otherwise you'll find yourself with reduced value for the house. Plus the risk that, if the new owner finds these comments *after* they've bought the house, they'll come after you for not making known any material facts that affect the value.
Posted by George99 about 1 year ago
@WWWombat: I rent and the landlord has fully supported my efforts to get a service installed. The estate is owned by an investment company - who were also not helpful to begin with. They have now seen the light.

There are apparently a number of "Directors" of the estate who deal with the building management company and the building management company is refusing to let us communicate with them, not will they identify who they are?

@Fastman what's PCP 54?
Posted by George99 about 1 year ago
@Fastman. RM2 6GH
Posted by fastman about 1 year ago
george can you pm me at Fastman2 please
Posted by PhilCoates about 1 year ago
What was the purpose of the 'Public Consultation' exercises that were run? Did this not include an assessment of the likely uptake of Superfast if available? Mine did - and it isn't.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) about 1 year ago
The consultation is a part of the process needed to get EU State Aid approval, i.e. to stop people building a white elephant with public money.

So if no one responded and a county went ahead, they could be breaking EU rules.
Posted by PhilCoates about 1 year ago
Andrew

Do you know of any data available that gives an idea of the level of response garnered?
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) about 1 year ago
Off top of my head no.
Posted by mikejp about 1 year ago
There seems to have been a second 'Consultation' this year with suppliers that has resulted in alarming maps published by my County showing large swathes of West Sussex that will NOT see 15Mb 'within 3 years' and somewhat more worrying, significant areas that will not see 2Mb in the same period. Where that leaves the 'USC' I know not!
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) about 1 year ago
@mikejp There will be vast swathes of everywhere without 15 Mbps, because people do not live spread out equally across the maps.

I thought large parts of West Sussex had fixed wireless available too, or has my geography failed me.
Posted by mikejp about 1 year ago
Andrew - you will know from previous exchanges that the coverage of Kijoma is not as 'widespread' as their website suggests, and they have an unfortunate reputation for not answering enquiries, so I prefer to rule that out.

We all knew that there would be areas that would not receive 15Mb, but it is the size of these areas that has come as a shock - the county is predominently 'white' meaning 'not', with 'occasional' patches here and there of 'will'/'can'.

Posted by mikejp about 1 year ago
There is no solution in sight yet from County for the again surprising number of 'Not 2Mb' patches on the map. Are there any rumblings from BDUK or anyone as to how this USC is to be achieved in the timescale?
Posted by WWWombat about 1 year ago
@mikejp

The ONS has a classification known as a "built up area", which defines all man-made communities down to hamlet size.

From the 2011 census, they defined 5,500 such areas in England & Wales.

The land area used by BUA's amounted to just under 10% of the total. Meanwhile the population within the BUA's amounted to 95% of the total.

Conclusion:
Even when BDUK has hit the 95% target of properties in 2017/18ish, they'll still likely have only hit 10% of the land area. It is no wonder that coloured maps look predominantly white.
Posted by WWWombat about 1 year ago
There is an ONS map that illustrates the principle. See page 7 here:

All the white areas hold 5% of the population... and there is a lot of it
Posted by mikejp about 1 year ago
WWW - as I said,I knew about the 'areas' and the "95%" rule but I suspect a large number of Clapham Omnibus passengers did not know what it meant, and I'm pretty sure come 2017 there will be a lot of belly-aching.

So - no ideas how how to fix the 2Mb question, then?
Posted by WWWombat about 1 year ago
The 2M question depends on the way WSCC ran the consult, and whether they allow the 2M phase to be delayed to the end of phase 2.

Some have consulted from a "post-phase1" perspective (where the USC contract term means there is no 2Mbps question), while some have done it from a "current" perspective (so 2Mbps hasn't been done yet).

Others are doing the consultation in a way that includes every possible "at-risk" area, allowing them to suck additional post-codes into the definition for state-aid in future; this overcomes the inflexibility that some counties have had in phase 1.
...
Posted by WWWombat about 1 year ago
Moving the 2Mbps phase beyond any superfast phases in SEP would allow them to re-allocate a good chunk of the 2Mbps budget back into superfast coverage ... so it is a tempting step for a CC.

North Yorkshire have pushed their 2Mbps phase back 12 months+, allowing £2m to be re-budgeted (though their phase 2 isn't the full SEP project; SEP will be phase 3 there); Suffolk seem to have refused to push the 2Mbps phase back into SEP.

Council meetings (or minutes) are the best guide to how they really see this.
Posted by cyberdoyle about 1 year ago
Funny choice of backing music for the advert. The Who. "Won't Get Fooled Again" Very apt for this superfarce.
Posted by mikejp about 1 year ago
ww - not being into 'politics' and funding, most of that is lost on me, I'm afraid, but thanks for posting it - I'm sure some will follow it. For my simple mind, can anyone clarify exactly what the 'latest' BDUK policy is for the UK in terms of speeds and dates?
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) about 1 year ago
Some point in 2015 90% coverage at superfast speeds

In 2017 coverage at 95% at superfast speeds.

Beyond 2017 work to explore alternatives for final 5%.

If 2 Mbps is crucial then its source satellite in the mean time, which some areas are endorsing as official 2 Mbps solution.
Posted by PhilCoates about 1 year ago
Andrew - which is a terrible shame. It was windy here in Staffordshire last night and we had no Satellite BB at all. Similarly if it rains badly or snows.
Posted by gc01 about 1 year ago
I notice that the youtube video of the ad has comments disabled - probably standard procedure for government videos in case of negative comments. The only thing I see in the video relating to use of superfast is the gamer, which is hardly a great endorsement. Or, are the clips of football etc. supposed to be a reference to more television ?