43,000 new broadband customers at Virgin Media
Thursday 06 November 2014 09:26:29 by Andrew Ferguson

With some 56% of Virgin Media customers (2.5 million) on a 50 Mbps or faster package Virgin Media is always keen to sell on download speeds and this appeal means the operator has added 43,000 new cable broadband connections in the last quarter (Liberty Global News). The old Virgin National ADSL network is still around but shrinking at just 97,000 customers left.

While Virgin Media makes great stock of its speed lead, we are seeing the speeds for Virgin Media customers drop after a peak earlier in the summer, it may be that the return of students to university is leading to new heights of usage on the network, but they are still the fastest of the major broadband providers, but if operators like CityFibre (via retailers Sky and TalkTalk) and Hyperoptic continue their expansion plans DOCSIS based services may find others claiming the speed crown in their advertising. As things stand now FTTC based services from Openreach are demonstrating a higher upload performance, which for home workers and those uploading to cloud storage services is becoming more important.

Posted by Kebabselector about 1 year ago
I'm about to be a customer, the only reason is Openreach and lack of FTTC. I'd welcome an increase in uploads if Virgin try to get away from the eye catching download speeds - but as it stands the 3mb is much better than my .7mb upload on ADSL - so anything is an improvement.
Posted by Dixinormous about 1 year ago
I would be a customer if I could but sadly my options are Openreach or Openreach. Satellite no good, no WiFi or viable mobile options even.

Give VM some credit, though. They were delivering to some areas in 2008 and network-wide by 2009 faster than BT's median FTTC sync speed.
Posted by hungryhorse about 1 year ago
VM's cable broadband has been a major improvement for me when compared to the unreliable BT infinity product, dogged by numerous corroding joints along the aluminium line. The only thing I miss is the higher upload speeds, which is limited to 3Mb on VM. Even 3's 4G service often provides far greater upload bandwidth, which has been useful when backing up files on to the cloud.

Here's hoping VM will announce increases in their upload speed?
Posted by Dixinormous about 1 year ago
Work is in progress to leave FTTC flailing like the last-decade technology it is in both downstream and upstream directions.
Posted by bazbo4 about 1 year ago
You must be absolutely mad to use Virgin,they hike price's, try catch you out to make forfeit payments. Customer service is absolutely dire,i was told to write a letter to head office, nobody could or would deal with my problem, they basically breached contract by adding on more every month to what I originally signed for. BEWARE, better still don't use them.