TalkTalk increases voice line rental twice in 2014
Monday 03 November 2014 15:29:40 by Andrew Ferguson

The shift of income from broadband to voice line rental for providers is increasing as TalkTalk have announced the second price rise of 2014 for its voice service that is a requirement for its broadband services. The price for new customers will be £16.70 with immediate effect and we have updated our listings and offer pages and once we learn what date it will take effect for existing customers we will update this article.

The last price rise was in March 2014 when line rental went from £15.40 to £15.95. The wholesale costs of full LLU which is what TalkTalk use can be seen in our August news covering the BT price rises that take effect on 1st December 2014.

Update 4th November Lifting the link that someone posted in the comments to make it clickable leads people to details of the price rises. The price rise will apply to existing customers too from 1st December, so we presume letters are already out in the post informing people and giving them the pre-requisite 30 days notice and right to exit contracts penalty free, though finding a cheaper bundle may prove harder. Some other changes include the old Plus Broadband with calls package rising from £15.50 to £18.50 but you gain a £5 discount against TalkTalk Mobile SIM. Those customers on the partially unbundled broadband service, i.e. just broadband via AOL or TalkTalk will see a £5 a month increase. The incentive to pay within 24 hours of getting your bill has been reduced from 15% to 10%.

Posted by zyborg47 about 1 year ago
Getting stupid now the price of line rental. It will not be that long before it is £20 a month and for what? I know I am thinking of going back to line based broadband, but seeing the line rental going up all the time, maybe I am better of with what I have got.
Posted by TheEulerID about 1 year ago
It's highly misleading to call it "voice line rental". The implication is that voice is a significant component of the cost. It's not. There's less than 50p per month between the of the wholesale cost of MPF and WLR/

It's about time this myth was put to bed, and SPs had to emphasise the full cost of their packages, not misleading broadband prices.
Posted by stator about 1 year ago
It's time one of the consumer groups made a Super Complaint to trigger an investigation into Landline charges, which seem to be going up unreasonably.
Posted by bicbasher about 1 year ago
TalkTalk's website has the price rise for existing customers from December 1st.
Posted by Michael_Chare about 1 year ago
Is line rental a loss leader so that revenue can be recovered from phone call charges?
Posted by Blackmamba about 1 year ago
I thought the land line (rental) was for maintaining Openreach Equiptment E and D sides.
Posted by TheEulerID about 1 year ago

The Openreach wholesale products MPF, WLR and (sort of) SMPF products are to cover the costs you identify. However, what we are talking about here is how SPs decide to partition up their total cost package, which is only loosely mapped to the underlying costs.
It's pretty obvious that SPs are advertising unrealistically low headline broadband prices and recovering some of the costs from what they care to call "voice line rental". It's not helped that fixed line voice revenues are in long term decline.
Posted by Blackmamba about 1 year ago
Hi Euler
The ISPs package their products by offering up to speeds eg 40/80 meg down then provide the customer with 20 meg down they do not notice this because the service is quite adequate this is more apparent since the ports on the FTTC are all the same this also is highlighted on the Post Code locations.
Posted by TheEulerID about 1 year ago

That might well be true, but I don't see it's relevant to what SPs charge for line rental. In any case, the FTTC products use the relevant GEA products, but they still have to have one of the relevant OR wholesale products as well.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) about 1 year ago
So customers don't notice when given 20Meg if they sigh up to an estimate of 40 Meg. You sure? Or you confusing line length with peak and off peak factors.

Almost worries me for a poster who appears so linked to the Surrey roll-out
Posted by TheEulerID about 1 year ago

I suspect most broadband customers don't look too closely if what they get meets their requirements. If you were previously on a long line with a sub-2mbps service and were constantly bothered by buffering on video feeds and the like, a jump to even 10mbps will be a revelation.

Provided things like iPlayer work without being affected by other users in the house, they might well not look any further. Not every broadband user goes poking round looking at speed tests or sync rates.
Posted by TheEulerID about 1 year ago
Of course, those very same customers might become discontented a few years down the line if they, say, want multiple 4K streams, but they might not notice or care too much now.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) about 1 year ago
Well I hope this is not an official position on speed which some may take it as given the level of detail the user is posting.
Posted by Blackmamba about 1 year ago
Hi Broadband Watchers.
The speed information and detail I have placed on this forum is my own interpretation having been trained on long lines and OLD exchange Equiptment thus trying to get ALL customers above 15 Meg in Surrey. The Black Mamba is also tied to Saffron so everybody knows who I am.
Posted by dragon1945 about 1 year ago
Talktalk keeps upping the price but I am still only just scraping 2 MB.Mobiles don't work here so I am dependent on the landline.I can't take advantage of TT TV as we have to have a sat. dish to get any sort of reception.(No cable here).TT said I can get 38 MB if I pay £10 per month more for Fibre. I don't believe it. Really? Fibre cable ends about 2 miles away. Nearest 2 miles ancient copper cable.The phone drops connection frequently and the line is noisy. I used to ask TT to do something about it, but they want £50 to send an engineer round to check my PC.I used to build PC's for a living!

Posted by chefbyte about 1 year ago
ah well they will get my extra fiver as im stuck without FTTC and no VS even though both cabs are 100 feet up the road, Been offered WiMax and they cannot get a signal and I refuse to take phone line as well with TT
Posted by craigboard about 1 year ago
I think the price of land line rental is getting too much now its every year it increases in a time where the cost of connecting to the Internet should be coming down not up. I get a feeling that we as land line rental payers is getting ripped off and we are actually paying for BT Sport.
Posted by Blackmamba about 1 year ago
Hi Dragon.
Check the distance from your Master Socket to your CAB FTTC then you will know if TalkTack can provide the service you require. If your line is noisy from the Master Socket report it and get a Referance number it's all in your hands to get a better service.
Posted by BBSlowcoach about 1 year ago
Sorry I'm late getting in here guys - been away from the PC recently - Bliss!!

To Dragon, as a PC builder you should have no worries re the TT engineer visit charge. It is only applied IF they find a fault in the home. No fault, no charge and the 'problem' is then escalated to Openreach for resolution. Only the TT engineer can escalate to Openreach, hence the need for a TT engineer visit. I had 3 such TT engineer visits over time and no charges!