Sky line rental to increase to £16.40
Friday 17 October 2014 11:29:15 by Andrew Ferguson

Last week we warned that the voice line rental which is a requirement of a Sky broadband service was set to increase on 1st December, this week we can announce that the rise will be £1 from £15.40 to £16.40 per month.

The package listings have all been updated and we expect existing Sky customers to receive notification of the price rises with the pre-requisite 30 day notice period of the change. We are sure an unknown proportion will want to exercise their right to change due to the price rise, but given that almost all the other operators have already increased their prices it may prove difficult to match the pricing and keep all the features. Fingers crossed when the new migration starts working in 2015, it will prove easier to move between the full LLU services and other providers.

Sky has also released its latest financial results, which reveal the popularity of the various free broadband promotions that have just ended, and that is a growth of 75,000 broadband customers to a user base of 5,322,000. 96% of the user base is on a LLU service, with an increased proportion using full LLU.

Posted by NilSatisOptimum over 2 years ago
The cabinet I connect too started taking orders lask week, not very impressed with what sky offer fibre wise, looks like I will be getting openreach fibre sooner than I thought
Posted by otester over 2 years ago

I assume you mean BT Retail fibre.

With Sky you get what you pay for, the service is good.
Posted by StevenageNeil over 2 years ago
It's not often I agree with comments here but "With Sky you get what you pay for, the service is good." I couldn't agree more.
And before the arrows start flying, we are talking about fibre.
Posted by uniquename over 2 years ago
As otester hints, Sky fibre is Openreach fibre :).
Posted by generallee94 over 2 years ago
Line rental sucks, specially when providers are now making more than £10 a months profit off of it... Oh and Line Rental Saver was a great money saver for all of about 12- 18 months.. now its save about £2-3 a month on average..
Posted by Blackmamba over 2 years ago
Hi Sky fibre to the FTTC is using old CN20 equiptment when you are receiving your slower downloads you can see this on Thinkbroadband maps on the post codes
Posted by TheEulerID over 2 years ago

Whilst I'd agree that ISPs are making money out of the difference between OpenReach wholesale costs and retail prices, it's not £10. You are neglecting VAT. Sky will get $13.67 a month net of VAT, whilst the wholesale price is £7.17. That's £6.50 per month.
For an ISP to make £10 profit (actually mark-up, as it neglects other costs), they'd have to charge £19.17 per month including VAT.
Posted by rscott over 2 years ago
@Blackmamba - not sure what you mean with 'Sky fibre to the FTTC is using old CN20 equiptment' ?
They're using exactly the same equipment as any other fibre provider. The speedtests may be skewed slightly because they've only relatively recently started offering an up to 80 service.
Posted by trashcooky over 2 years ago
As a pensioner I dislike any contract change especially when it means having to dig deeper into my small pocket. However, having been with Sky for many years (previously Virgin) I feel they have responded to complaints about their historically poor customer support and their services compare favourably with others on cost and I find the reliability reasonable too. As a consequence I will just have to suck it up and dig deeper as I don't see any real competition out there that isn't offered on the bait and trap principle.