18.7 Mbps average speed for UK broadband reported by Ofcom
Friday 03 October 2014 11:44:05 by Andrew Ferguson

As a collective of well over 20 million fixed line broadband connections the UK has recorded an average of 18.7 Mbps in May 2014 according to the latest research from Ofcom, which used a weighted analysis of 956 connections to derive a UK wide figure.

The relative speeds of the technologies is no surprise, Ofcom indicates a speed of 42 Mbps for Virgin Media in May 2014, and looking at our speed test results we show a figure of 41.6 Mbps as the median for cable services, and looking at more recent data it has continued to climb with our speed test revealing a result of 45.4 Mbps. Virgin Media started to boost speeds in February 2014 when it started its latest speed upgrade programme to ensure that it stays at the top of the speed tables, and this crown is safe until such time as the FTTH/B providers become more widely available.

Ofcom has observed that the gap between rural and urban broadband speeds has narrowed slightly, this will largely be down to the lag in take-up of the commercial FTTC services and the roll-out via the BDUK process starting to deliver in volume during 2014. The problem is that particularly with the large projects that large areas like Conwy in Wales still appear to be missing out as the Superfast Cymru project is so large that it is taking time to crawl across the Welsh countryside. Though one should not draw any firm conclusions on the Ofcom data due to small volume of data from rural areas.

Comments

Posted by csimon over 2 years ago
I get 2.67% of the average UK speed! 0.5Mbps. Superfast Cymru still can't say when they will be coming, seems like they don't plan things properly and it's all done randomly.
Posted by professor973 over 2 years ago
Figures can be twisted to prove anything you wish. For example, one road death in three is drink or drug related, so we should be banning sober drivers. I expect the above was equally selectively weighted.
Posted by professor973 over 2 years ago
Cont... The 6.1Mbps true UK figure here seems much more a realistic average. http://www.computerweekly.com/news/2240231870/UK-broadband-lags-as-global-average-speed-hits-4Mbps
Posted by comnut over 2 years ago
well, its the parts that are 1Gbps and 100 Mbps that are a making this figure...

Posted by professor973 over 2 years ago
Average should be a mean of ALL, not just a little jiggery pokery on a sample of 956.
Posted by comnut over 2 years ago
play with the broadband maps, you can leave out certain things to make it look better.. :/

its like asking how long is the UK coastline??
how do you measure?
- by road length?
- by walking round? (a lot longer!)
- around each small rock!!! lol :D
Posted by professor973 over 2 years ago
Around the high water mark with a long piece of string !
Posted by simont1952 over 2 years ago
In my area we have been lucky enough to be upgraded. However the bad news for me is that the telephone line I share back to the green cabinet is made of Aluminium and so we experience a significantly degraded performance - 3.5Mbps. My neighbours on copper lines get up to 22Mbps.

Openreach have insulated themselves from any way to get them to take action. I cannot complain directly nor refer them to the ombudsman for failure to deliver a good service.

Has anyone any suggestions as to how to get action?
Posted by gerarda over 2 years ago
Although this is the usual statistical nonsense from BTOfcom and Samknows, there has been a bit of progress as someone seems to have told Ofcom that, as they state in the report, longer line lengths between the street cabinet and customer premises result in lower speeds over FTTC connections.
Posted by mdar5 over 2 years ago
@simont1952
Basically pay BTOR or an approved subcontractor the going rate to get it done yourself.

Sadly you would then see from the huge quotes the true cost of doing such work and have an insight into why BTOR don't rush out to do it themselves free of charge for the end user.

Posted by chilting over 2 years ago
Average figures have no relevance to reality on the ground. It is the inconsistencies that need to be addressed.
Take for example East Street in West Chiltington, post code RH20 2JY. The road is only 1km long. The residents at the village end can get very nearly 80 Mbps but the residents at the other end are lucky if they get 1 Mbps.
Posted by 69bertie over 2 years ago
I got am email from Onlincolnshire singing the praises of faster speeds (quoting these figures) but to me all their hype might as well as be on another planet. What does gall is that those getting the faster speeds are usually ones that already have a healthy speed range already, like heading off to the 10mb/s speed range already. I would be very happy with even just 8mb, let alone 40/80 mb's. As it is, I shall continue (along with my 150 or so neighbours) to plod along with my paltry 1.47mb. Faster speeds....you're having a laugh! Sadly through taxation, I'm the mug paying for it!
Posted by Plankton1066 over 2 years ago
Yet again deliberate obfuscation,take a non-representative sample and then quote an average and don't mention the mode or median.
Posted by Fellwalker over 2 years ago
Average is pointless to the person getting under 1Mbs. What is necessary is an increase in the minimum speeds. I'd sack whoever commissioned the survey - for wasting time and money.
Posted by Fellwalker over 2 years ago
Just re-read the article, and thought I should comment on the tbb figures. Most of tbb speed checkers are computer literate, and will have done what they can to improve their speeds. For virgin with its own cables tbb's speed test data is probably representative , but for Internet over telephone lines, I doubt it. Several of my friends have well under 2Mbs connections, but they'd never run a speed test. My guess is that we're the test run by all, the picture would not be as rosy.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 2 years ago
So encourage more people to run our test :-)

Posted by brusuth over 2 years ago
Everyone should share the test asking friends, family, followers if they are getting good or bad speeds.. I just did on my Facebook.
Posted by gerarda over 2 years ago
@fellwalker Ofcom have as usual deliberately exclude very slow lines in order to increase the reported average
Posted by Blackmamba over 2 years ago
Hi Broadband Watchers.
Good thinking A/S the more people who state their speeds on your map the better because this gives the speed to the GPS post code position also the speed from the ISP they are using. From this a traffic light system can be used using two out of five code. red amber green. 15 meg--30 meg .
Posted by noppix1 over 2 years ago
My Virgin line was contracted at 60meg and it never worked right, in fact it would just stop for no reason and you-tube was a total waste of time(bufffffer). The main problem with Virgin is the upload speed! There top package only offers 10Mbit upload, This is useless in this day and age. I have a CCTV system with 5 HD 3MP CCTV cameras running.
Posted by noppix1 over 2 years ago
Now one camera can eat up 16Mbit alone on the network side(at full pixel change using H264) and when trying to move the data out of the loacal network it all goes to pot even on my FTTC line (18.5Mb up). VM only seems to think that we all need mega download speeds but this is no longer the case. My network would need a 1:1 line to satisfy my needs.
Posted by noppix1 over 2 years ago
I just had a look at the above posts and I feel some what like tw4t now. My main point is that VM are trying to claim the super fast award by giving users a fast downstream with no upload and unless you are educated in computing you would not have a clue when the downstream has a problem. With new tec the needs of the average internet user are changing fast and the ISP`s are not following the demand.
Posted by Blackmamba over 2 years ago
Well done A/S I hope you are still dropping off at aprox 90 days on thinkbroad maps results because they are showing better average results over the ones that are taken daily or weekly.
Posted by fastman over 2 years ago
simon how far from the cabinet are you if you are greater that around 1.3 km you will will see probably little or no ability or beinfit form FTTC -- (lots of stories around aluminum most not true -- majority doe to distance / pyhsics
Posted by 69bertie over 2 years ago
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) 1 day ago
So encourage more people to run our test :-)
-------------
I'll let you into a little secret. I do try using the TBB speed checker but it quite frequently hangs during the test. Mainly I suspect due to the slow speed shown that on the few occasions it has managed to complete. Maybe it has problems believing it!
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 2 years ago
Try http://labs.thinkbroadband.com/ispa
Posted by roughbeast over 2 years ago
We need that HS2 cash to be spent on a nationally owned ultra-high speed network to all properties, just as we have for electricity and water. ISPs can provide the services. The years of construction work will have a knock on effect to employment and the supply industries. Many fewer expenses-paid business trips are really needed with a good internet network. Long rail journeys will become increasingly unnecessary. The railways can be left for freight, essential workers and leisure.
Posted by phil917k over 2 years ago
Such average speed figures are probably about as useful as information on average earnings when you're in a minimum-wage job - just not relevant to the problem. In my case, the problem is being stuck in the city of Exeter on a satellite exchange where all around appears to be getting FTTC and no sign of upgrades coming to a cabinet near me anytime soon :-(
Posted by comnut over 2 years ago
If you want good upload speeds, you will have to PAY MONEY for it...

That means *leaving* the major ISPs, who have *plenty* of people happy downloading only...
Posted by Blackmamba over 2 years ago
Hi Phil.
I hope you have recorded you speed on Thinkbroadband .map at least once a month or weekly pulling down the results on your exchange area.
Posted by Blackmamba over 2 years ago