Finger trouble at Openreach leads to incorrect emails
Wednesday 25 June 2014 14:39:01 by Andrew Ferguson

No idea of how many people are affected, but enough people have emailed us or are talking about strange emails from Openreach in the last 24 hours on our forums that we chased this up with Openreach. The emails from Openreach were to people who had registered their interest in hearing when fibre based broadband from Openreach was coming to their area, initially the exchange name was omitted with a second email correcting that. For those who live in area where FTTC services are not currently available this was the first sign of hope that they had got, but before people get too excited check your email (and junk folders) for a retraction.

Unfortunately it seems a new bulk email system and the testing of the system at Openreach has led to some people being sent emails when there has actually being no change to the fibre based broadband plans for their area. We understand that Openreach has learnt from its mistakes and hopefully there will be no repeat of this mistake.

If there are people who have received the original email and no apology email has arrived but they can find no other evidence that FTTC (or maybe FTTP) from Openreach is coming to their exchange then do get in touch and we will pester Openreach to confirm the situation for you. The Openreach website has a where and when section but this often does not feature exchanges from the various BDUK projects until they go live, and also does not give cabinet level information.

Posted by Dixinormous over 2 years ago
Mention of 'up to' 100Mb was interesting also. This is something an automated system wouldn't have been responsible for.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 2 years ago
Part of the human mistakes I believe. A bit like the BBC Breaking News snafu earlier today
Posted by adslmax over 2 years ago
Metion of 'up to' 300Mb also on it too.
Posted by AndrueC over 2 years ago
/We understand that Openreach has learnt from its mistakes and hopefully there will be no repeat of this mistake/

I wouldn't bet on it. I remember my exchange 'going live' for two days back in Dec 2011. I was even able to order it. The cab actually went live four months later.
Posted by Peter7959 over 2 years ago
Yes, your analysis of the 3 emails is accurate. I contacted my BT as a potential new customer for fibre and they had no idea what I was talking about. But I always had doubts about whether my rural cabinet would be enabled, even though other cabinets on my Wendover exchange have been sporting fibre stickers for some months
Posted by michaels_perry over 2 years ago
The 'we have learnt from our mistakes' fiasco again. They don't ever mean it and go on making the same old mistakes again and again - a bit like politicians and managers!
Posted by Cliffy1 over 2 years ago
Unfortunately I too received one of these and then later a retraction. I've actually just been in correspondence with my MP about the situation as I live in Bucks but work to a Bedfordshire exchange. It's ridiculous that the smaller villages on the outskirts of larger projects are being ignored as many of us work from home and would find FTTC very appealing and be willing to pay.