Line rental increases at Plusnet
Tuesday 10 June 2014 10:40:55 by Andrew Ferguson

A day of good and bad news, we have just finished updating our PlusNet package listing to reflect changes in voice line rental and add their new up to 38 Mbps fibre based broadband package.

Voice line rental for new customers has increased from £14.50 per month to £15.95 per month, and the option for paying 12 months line rental in advance is now the equivalent of £12.99 per month (annual price £155.88) a rise of £2 per month. There are also some changes to the cost of out of bundle calls, the call set up fee is 15p and calls to UK landlines are at 9p per minute, which means a 3 minute phone call to a UK landline will cost 42p. The anytime call bundle remains the same price at £5 per month.

For those looking to buy a fibre based broadband service there is a new option, with the introduction of an unlimited usage up to 38 Mbps download (up to 9 Mbps upload) option at £14.99 per month.

Update 11:30am We have checked via @PlusNet on twitter and they claim the cheaper fibre service does offer up to 19.5 Mbps upload speeds, which would mean it is based on the GEA-FTTC 80/20 product, which makes its lower price point very surprising if actually correct.

The price rises in voice line rental are at a time when the wholesale cost of the basic rental is coming down, and either reflects the increasing usage of the inclusive call elements or as many believe the pricing of broadband is so keenly watched that almost all providers want to avoid broadband price rises and people simply blame BT when the voice rental goes up, even though their cut has gone down.

We believe PlusNet is unique in the UK with its differential pricing on the fibre services and with the increasing roll-out in rural areas via the BDUK projects this will become more noticeable. The price of unlimited fibre extra in the expensive areas is £27.49/month.

Comments

Posted by KellyD over 3 years ago
> unlimited usage up to 38 Mbps download (up to 9 Mbps upload)

You might want to correct that. It's up to 19.5Mb.
Posted by haydnwalker over 3 years ago
I signed up yesterday - so hopefully I've got my Line rental at the old price...
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 3 years ago
@KellyD PlusNet being different, so have fixed it for now. Await the first user reports and speed tests
Posted by zyborg47 over 3 years ago
Line rental keeps going up every year, it would not be so bad if you got something useful for it.
Posted by mdar5 over 3 years ago
You do.
'Line Rental' is made up of two components.
1 Payment for receiving a voice service.
2. Payment for the rent/maintenance/upgrades/systems/backhaul etc for your physical line to your address.

In effect the headline price of BB is being kept down by lumping some of its real costs into the "line rental" payment.

You'd be happier if all of this was dumped on to BB prices?
Posted by zyborg47 over 3 years ago
so what if you don't have broadband? I know with plusnet they just don't supply phoneline, but Bt does and they keep putting their line rental up. Also what about if you don't want the voice service? If i went for fixed line broadband, I would not want a voice service, but i would still have to pay for it.
Posted by gsmlnx over 2 years ago
I'm an FTTP user but must have a fully working BTW phone line in order to get my FTTP (T&C's of the contract). Now that is stupid and "doesn't do you proud".
Posted by chrysalis over 2 years ago
something is seriously wrong when a landline to landline call costs 42p for 3 mins LOL, a PAYG mobile phone is less than half that price.
Posted by FINCASTLE84 over 2 years ago
I've just renewed my Plusnet telephone annual package early to avoid the price rise. At the same time I also renewed my fibre unlimited 80/20 at £14.99 per month. Plusnet are exceptional at offering deals to retain their customer loyalty.
Posted by BREWERDAVE over 2 years ago
I, too, renewed my Plusnet ALR @ £137.88 pa and ,by using their Customer Retentions team, I got a very good unlimited ADSL2+ deal for 24 months on a Market 1 exchange BUT I had to phone. If I hadn't my b/band cost would have risen by ~ £120 per year.