BT introduce additional Youview 'Extra Box' option
Monday 02 June 2014 16:33:38 by John Hunt

BT TV customers can now add an additional YouView box to their BT TV package allowing them to watch in multiple rooms at the same time. This has been a feature of the standard pay-TV services for some time with both Sky and Virgin offering multi-room options. The extra box will allow you to watch and pause both live and catch-up TV as well as access all your existing content with one exception of Sky Movies.

The extra box is limited to one per household and you need to have a broadband speed greater than 34Mbps. This means that you must be a BT Infinity customer to be able to get one. A minimum 12-month subscription applies and is charged at £5 per month with a £99 one-of cost. This compares favourably to Sky who charge £11.25 per month for an extra box, although a non-recording Sky Multiroom HD box does not incur any one off fees. Virgin charge £6.50 per month for a non-recording box and an extra £5 a month for a TiVo, with a £49.95 or £99.95 activation fee depending on the recording capacity.

Posted by jroadley over 2 years ago
Do see myself moving over to BT, just waiting for fibre to go live (This month - hopefully) - then it will be bye bye SKY.
Posted by adslmax over 2 years ago
youview box is totally rubbish in my view
Posted by acpsd775 over 2 years ago
hmm so im guessing my next bill will have a £5 extra charge on it then as ive been doing this for the last 2 month since adding BT Youview with a second box i already had, knew it wouldn't be long before BT would pick up on the fact that people can already do this free and start charging for it
Posted by doowles over 2 years ago
The youview box is excellent in terms of features and usabilitity but it is so horribly slow. I gave up with it eventually as it was frustrating to use.

Shame really as the catchup EPG option is brilliant!
Posted by acpsd775 over 2 years ago
@doowles the new BT G4 box and the retail box its based on are not bad TBF, i have a TT branded one (used for multiroom) which i agree is slow and kinda a bad experience but the new BT box its a lot faster & more responsive and an all round better experience much better and faster than my old virgin box though still not on par with sky where speed in concerned
Posted by zyborg47 over 2 years ago
I think I will give it a miss, Still nothing the big providers can offer me to change to them.
Posted by cyberdoyle over 2 years ago
tough for the millions who will never be able to get 34 Mbps due to line lengths. I wonder how long its going to be before they realise they can't join the digital revolution because their connections are so poor?
Posted by Yorkie71 over 2 years ago
"you need to have a broadband speed greater than 34Mbps"

Posted by ValueforMoney over 2 years ago
Wow 34Mbps, so much for BSG and BT Group. I guess I need to convert more of my TV licence fee to fund more broadband.
Posted by colinbarrett over 2 years ago
I'm suspicious of BT's stipulation for a minimim 34Mbps connection speed in order to support the additional facility. We access our online / on-demand services via a Humax Foxsat HDR and also an Apple TV unit, and even with them both streaming HD content together the bandwidth used is nowhere near that on our Infinity 1 (average speed 36Mbps) connection!

I think it's a ruse to get people to sign up for Inifinity 2 (well, those fortunate enough to have access to fibre, anyhow).
Posted by t99del over 2 years ago
Shan't be buying one of them then
still only running 3Mb, and declared not financially viable to run fibre to the village.