Bucks and Herts publish more information on broadband improvements
Wednesday 26 March 2014 14:41:02 by Andrew Ferguson

If you live in Buckinghamshire or Hertfordshire and are still waiting for superfast broadband or even just better broadband than you have now to arrive then an update on the Connected Counties website may prove useful.

For once rather than try to publish a map that is hard to figure out (and sometimes impossible for those who are colour blind), the Bucks and Herts project is listing the exchange name and the actual cabinet number. If you do not know your cabinet then use the BT Wholesale checker and enter your telephone number or full address, then you will be given your cabinet number along with what BT Wholesale services are available.

Bucks and Herts has three phases underway currently, Phase 1 which covers 70 cabinets spread over thirteen exchanges should complete by September 2014 and Phase 2 which has a rough window of June to December 2014 covers eight exchanges and 59 cabinets. Phase 3 still needs its survey work carrying out, but cabinets on the following exchanges are thought to be involved: Aston Clinton, Aylesbury, Brill, Buckingham, Finmere, Haddenham, High Wycombe, Lane End, Long Crendon, Northwood, Radnage, Steeple Claydon and Winslow.

Comments

Posted by csimon over 3 years ago
That's the way to do it! Is this really the very first time this has been done?? It doesn't need complicated maps and shading that is difficult to interpret and can't even be anywhere near accurate, just a simple list with rough plans and current status. Everyone then knows where they stand. Superfast Cymru need to see this.
Posted by rolandrat over 3 years ago
Interestingly for me if Im guessing correctly some of those cabs with a number and a 'T' on the end, certainly around me in Northants indicate ex-TPON or indeed TPON cabs, im still waiting to hear what or when things will be done on my ex tpon cab as BT still appear to be ignoring them in my area even to the extent that just last week they stuck a fibre cab next to the 92 cab in this bunch of cabs https://maps.google.com/maps?t=m&ll=37.06250000000001%2C-95.677068&spn=81.2960015641661%2C109.43723223557421&output=classic but it will not serve the two ex-tpon cabs.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 3 years ago
If I get time I will try and find my data on old TPON areas and see how things line-up.

Aylesbury does not ring any bells as a TPON area
Posted by TheEulerID over 3 years ago
On a visit to my parents, who live in the outskirts of Stone, I set out to find their cabinet, which is to be enabled in the 1st phase. I found it about 1km away, in the opposite direction to the exchange (which was relocated in the 1960s). That extra 1600m round trip explain why their ADSL syncs at 10mbps to an exchange 800m away.
Posted by WWWombat over 3 years ago
Maps can give you a big-picture overview, especially ones like North Yorkshire which are coloured with actual coverage rather than shading the entire county.

But the details on the Bucks+Herts website have to be the best I've seen anywhere. It gives a very good idea of the gradual progress on each phase, and even manages to give an idea of scale.

Who'd have thought there'd be so many cabinets to do in Aylesbury, Wycombe or Stevenage?
Posted by rolandrat over 3 years ago
Corrected link http://goo.gl/maps/TIWmf
Posted by FatOldSun over 2 years ago
Parts of Aylesbury are TPON. A large area on the east of the town, including industrial estates and Fairford Leys are on TPON networks and unable to get fibre. I'm on cabinet 32T and frustratingly it's cabinets 33T and 34T which are being enabled for fibre this month, although I don't know where those are.