Berkshire lets people know which cabinets are under consideration
Monday 17 March 2014 12:31:01 by Andrew Ferguson

The Superfast Berkshire project is another part of the UK where the roll-outs using public money is getting underway and even has calculated a coverage level of 91.6% as the percentage of premises able to get a superfast service (exceeding 24 Mbit/s) once the project completes in September 2015. What is of particular interest is that the latest coverage page actually includes a list of 65 cabinets that are under consideration, i.e. between February 2014 and April 2014 the survey work will be under taken to determine suitable cabinet locations and the individual costs for the power supply.

Bracknell pops out at the top of the list and cabinet 100 and 109 appear to be around the area of Peacock Lane where the satellite imagery suggests lots of new build activity and some Virgin Media coverage. Cabinet 35 looks like it may actually be an example of a cabinet missed out in the commercial roll-out that serves what looks to be a lot of commercial premises, we think this cabinet is at the junction of Skimped Hill Lane, High Street and Market Street.

The cabinets in Goring, Mortimer and other parts of West Berkshire are more in line with the accepted perception of the BDUK process as a rural broadband project. There will be people in Mortimer who know they are on a different cabinet plus there are a good few hundred properties (e.g. RG7 3SW) that are close to the exchange that are on exchange only lines and thus will be waiting on later stages of the project. The Mortimer exchange does offer BT Wholesale ASDL2+ and the example postcode is able to get 8.5 Mbps to 19 Mbps according to the checkers.

Hopefully Berkshire will soon be able to confirm cabinets and projected go live dates, the length of time taken to announce everything is frustrating but with value for money a key consideration and thus pressure to keep staff costs down, both BT and councils are not likely to have hundreds in each county walking the streets to get the planning done in the shortest possible timeframe.

Comments

Posted by ValueforMoney over 3 years ago
Hallelujah, and no one has died, now for some cot estimates to be published. Power is the big variable, one assumes BT has no commercial need to keep power costs confidential and power companies have some obligation to put their charges on record.
Posted by sdcol over 3 years ago
If PCP 35 is at the junction of Market St and Skimped Hill lane per the link above, it is right outside the Telephone Exchange. Not sure how or why this is being funded by BDUK......

Posted by TheEulerID over 3 years ago
The junction of Market St and Skimped Hill lane is actually the location of the BT Telephone Exchange. As for why it isn't enabled (if that is actually the cabinet), commercial areas often have a low density of customers compared to residential districts. I think in that are of Bracknell, there are several different network companies offering (leased line) services.
Posted by piixma over 3 years ago
Does anybody know how to find the location of a listed cabinet?

I live in Sunninghill and would love to know if BT ever intend to supply FTTC.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 3 years ago
The Ascot exchange has had FTTC for a while which covers parts of Sunninghill.

What cabinet is listed when you check broadband availability via https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Posted by piixma over 3 years ago
Hi Andrew,

No cabinet is listed when I search. However, I suspect that is because I could only do an Address search as I don't have a landline.

Thank you for providing that link though, it is very informative.

Regards
Posted by dragon1945 over 3 years ago
I am in Berks,but my phone line is from Egham Sy.Talktalk said I could have Fibre but there is none within 2 miles. Their rep said I would be connected at the Exchange,but couldn't see that you won't get Fibre speeds on 50 yr.old copper cable.Phone calls and Broadband drop out.My PC is modern and checked AOK by an Engineer when Talktalk said the problem was with my gear.They tell me I can expect 18MB if I pay £10 a month for Fibre-but if the last 2 miles are the old copper, I think I will still get dropped calls and lose my BB connection.
Posted by ccxo over 3 years ago
@ piixma, have you tried any neighbouring properties, you could all be on Exchange only lines, if no cab appears for either phone or address search.

@ dragon1945 best to post in the forums, as your questions can be answered better their- this news item is a few pages old.