Virgin Media announces it is turning up the speed dial
Friday 28 February 2014 00:03:17 by Andrew Ferguson

Virgin Media is keen to retain its crown as the fastest major broadband provider in the UK though it has to emphasis the major, as Gigabit speeds are available to probably around 40,000 homes in the UK. The speed upgrades today mean that BT, Sky and TalkTalk will not be able to beat Virgin Media in a download speed battle.

Over the course of the next twelve months Virgin Media will upgrade existing customers as follows:

• 30 Mbps customers will be upgraded to a 50 Mbps download with 3 Mbps upload
  • 60 Mbps customers will get 100 Mbps download and 6 Mbps upload
  • 120 Mbps customers will get boosted to 152 Mbps download and 12 Mbps upload

We have been seeing some speed tests from Virgin Media that look very much like the 152 Mbps product, so it seems the network and product is ready to go. The upgrade will be offered to customers who can decide to remain on their existing speed if they so wish, but the upgrade we are told will not incur any need to recontract or a change in pricing.

In addition to the new products, the downstream traffic management is being removed as of today, but the upstream management will remain in place. The fastest service with 152 Mbps speeds mean that people should be able to download a HD movie in around four minutes, or alternatively stream multiple films to different rooms in the home.

Obviously we have asked about the effect that running the network faster may have on congestion and was assured that as well as boosting the speeds they are upgrading the network. In the last year alone peak Internet use has grown by 55% on Virgin Media and a whopping 1000% since the launch in 2007.

While it is normal to bemoan the state of UK Broadband it needs to be pointed out that with these upgrades, some 12.5 million homes now have the option of a 152 Mbps product.

Update 9am Virgin Media has now released the press release onto its website, we have also updated our package listing for Virgin Media to reflect the speed increases.

Comments

Posted by Keyholder over 3 years ago
They cant get their current service right. What use is it to current ( and NEW )customers having faster speeds when Vermin media cant produce what they advertise now!!

They can advertise fast download speeds all they want, Their UPLOAD speeds are shockingly poor which is coming everyday use more and more, due to social media freaks.

This is where BT shine and make Virgin look like that brown stuff on the bottom of BT'S Shoe.

VIRGIN, NOTHING BUT HEADLINE GRABBING AGAIN!!!
Posted by OnFire over 3 years ago
The news here is that Virgin Media are increasing their upload speeds (albeit only slightly), and removing downstream traffic management. Is there a link to the press release?

Posted by Keyholder over 3 years ago
what?? you call an xtra 75kbs upload news ??

Max upload rate will be a "Traffic Rate 12600000 bps" currently its "12000000" bps so considering Vm operate on a 10:1 ratio the 120Mb down service should be getting this anyhows.

so its no news really.

the 60Mb is going to 100Mb but staying at a 6mb upload rate, which is pathetic. you can get that on an infinity 38Mb package

And virgin are supposed to be bringing out a 1gbps service soon in 2015 - 2016, yeah right.
Posted by OnFire over 3 years ago
60Mb/100Mb download is going from 3Mb to 6Mb upload. 30Mb/50Mb download is going from 2Mb to 3Mb upload.
Posted by farrina over 3 years ago
Virgin Media are very good on spin, less so on actually producing the goods promised.

Their "Insane" Bolt fronted publicity from 18/24 months ago promised a doubling of upload speeds (in my case from 3->6) needless to say I am still waiting .....

In fact I am just arranging for FTTC with Plusnet, which given I am only 100m from the CAB (finally gone live) will I suspect leave Virgin for dust ....
Posted by dalmore over 3 years ago
Keyholder:
Just to let you know that my VM service is fantastic. I've had very few problems over the past 10 years and they have been sorted in a professional and timely manner. I would recommend VM to anyone. looking forward to the 152/12 free upgrade.
Posted by markieb over 3 years ago
Every FREE speed increase I've ever had from Virgin was swiftly followed by a price increase, I had 2 price increases last year one as a result of not taking their landline service. I find that disgusting considering they advertise that you don't have to have a landline from them to get broadband, but then penalise you for not taking it.

I'm predicting yet another price increase shortly before or after that supposedly FREE upgrade.
Posted by themanstan over 3 years ago
The main issue is VM does not increase coverage in any "significant" way.
Speed increases given do not really improve service markedly as the majority of web based things normal families do is amply dealt with by 30Mbps connections.
The promise of increased bandwidth across the network will be interesting, will it deal with areas where the contention is maxed out.
I can't see VM substantially growing their customer base with simple speed increases.
Posted by stator over 3 years ago
I agree markieb. Virgin Media regularly whack up their prices for existing customers. Fed up with being ripped off I shall be changing to ADSL when I move house. It's now cheaper to get a Landline + ADSL than it is to get VM Broadband only. Their price gouging has got worse since Library took over.
Posted by AndrueC over 3 years ago
themanstan - Perhaps given their debts all they want to do is retain the customers they have. This might be good enough to do that.
Posted by pcoventry76 over 3 years ago
Not availabe in my area I was told, and I was told that new customers will be on 120 until upgrade is done HOWEVER I rang up retentions and he said he would put me on 152 now so that when it does upgrade i would be ready - but it's done!

STM has been off here for months aswell :)
Posted by stator over 3 years ago
AndrueC Is that a joke? If they wanted to retain customers they wouldn't be charging existing customers higher prices, even discounting special offers.
Posted by pcoventry76 over 3 years ago

That's the 152 product! provisioned @ 168mbps!
Posted by Chrismb over 3 years ago
LOL at Virgin upload speeds.
Can anyone remember the last time Virgin added new coverage to existing properties?
Posted by pcoventry76 over 3 years ago
Well not everyone is using upload and it's a shame STM is staying on there but.. and do yo mean new speeds to existing properties? if so yes mine was 120 in november 2012.
Posted by dan_ghtm over 3 years ago
pcoventry76 - It was me who you spoke to in retentions and changed your speed. I was really surprised that worked but glad your enjoying
Posted by pcoventry76 over 3 years ago
Nice one Dan, thanks for coming on here - I was surprised too but it did work and as I said you are a star! if I still lived where I said i'd have bought you several pints :)
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 3 years ago
If in a speed test mood try http://labs.thinkbroadband.com/ispa
Posted by _mike_ over 3 years ago
Retentions also gave me an early upgrade :) http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1393593949490547255
Posted by GrumpyBugger over 3 years ago
I rang and asked for the upgrade and got told no because it is not in my area yet....

Bit annoyed to be honest as it's advertised all over their website now
Posted by _mike_ over 3 years ago
@GrumpyBugger did you speak to retentions? Complain about January's price increase. Retentions reduced my bill and gave me 152Mb.
Posted by GrumpyBugger over 3 years ago
How do i speak to retentions ? :)
Posted by pcoventry76 over 3 years ago
I had a letter saying I could leave before 4th march so I did actually call up to see if they could do me 152. it worked im now looking to add TV aswell. Dan was great he works where I did for a while, great team. I'm glad that I got through to his office
Posted by _mike_ over 3 years ago
@GrumpyBugger if you have a Virgin phone, 150, option 5, then 3 ("Thinking of leaving us for any other reason").
Posted by GrumpyBugger over 3 years ago
Thank's mike, not sure what to say to them as i'm not thinking of leaving lol ...
Posted by _mike_ over 3 years ago
You say that you're unhappy with the price rise and ask if they'll do anything about it? Shortly after, put forward the suggestion of upgrading to 152Mb, but not before they've looked at reducing your bill.
Posted by GrumpyBugger over 3 years ago
Ok spoke to retentions, got through to the snottiest woman, told me again nope, you are not getting it til it's in your area, spoke about the price increases, we only recieved the letter 2 weeks ago, i was told tough it's too late to talk about them, you had til february 1st and spoke to me like utter crap, they have now lost me as a customer. Told them to cancel the whole lot
Posted by dan_ghtm over 3 years ago
Grumpy Bugger - I work in the department. You don't have to pretend to be leaving. It's our job to stop you from leaving so we don't care that you don't really want to. You could see if your area is ready but just ask them to change it now so you don't have to later on and like pcoventry76, it might just be that it changes straight away. His area wasn't due until later
Posted by GrumpyBugger over 3 years ago
Hi Dan,

Honestly i got told literally tough wait til your area is done and tough about price increase and tough if you cancel £300 charges as we are still in contract, i was spoken to like dog excremement on her shoes, they have now lost a customer.
Posted by GrumpyBugger over 3 years ago
Hi again Dan,

Still very upset at the way i was treated on the phone, wish i hadn't rang now, who do i speak to now about getting the charges dropped ?
Posted by Keyholder over 3 years ago
@ dalmore about 7 hours ago
Wow. Do you work for virgin.. i personally know VM call centre staff who wouldnt come out with as much crap as you just did!!!

TBB - but the upgrade we are told will not incur any need to recontract or a change in pricing. -

So what about the price increase we just had ??? or was that just a kick in the balls for good faith.
@andrew

Sure thing, here's the first http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1393599082220425955
@dan

If I decide not to get the TV I might do what I suggested and try to get another line in new order should also be 152.
Posted by Keyholder over 3 years ago
@ Andrew - Heres mine - http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1393599030240319955

Speeds there but service is poor. Gamings pointless, someone with 300ms ping can kill me yet i cant hit them with a 34ms ping? Youtube constant buffering even on 240, having to refresh webpages all the time, skype its like talking on a mobile with no signal, Thank god ive only took out BB ( 12 months ) and thats it, soon as its over i wont be back to virgin ever again. I only came back this time after 6 years due to cheap BB, yeah monkeys at the other end!
Posted by Dixinormous over 3 years ago
Surprised adslmax hasn't ordered this yet.
Posted by pcoventry76 over 3 years ago
mines just fine, even watching 4K videos on youtube is no problem.
Posted by Dixinormous over 3 years ago
Ah no need to be surprised he has now.
Posted by pcoventry76 over 3 years ago
hes ordered it? I guess he would have jumped a lot of waiting as new customers get it - but he's not been away more than a few weeks he wont be seen as a new customer i dont think
Posted by pcoventry76 over 3 years ago
clearly not, i have read the other thread. What a waste it seems
Posted by adslmax over 3 years ago
Posted by Dixinormous about 3 hours ago
Surprised adslmax hasn't ordered this yet.

I just signed up 152/12 because I am happy to hear traffic management is removed from download only.
Posted by flipdee over 3 years ago
Rocking cable and fttc, should call you broadbandmax now.
Posted by pcoventry76 over 3 years ago
so the guys has FTTC for his kids and cable for him, and? leave him be.
Posted by k2150 over 3 years ago
Virgin put up their prices but so did BT in January 2014. I now pay £43.66 per month for Unlimited BT Infinity 2 with phone line. In real terms I get around 74 Mbit/sec down & 18 Mbit/sec upload speeds after overheads. I don't use the BT phone line, so Virgin's 152 Mbit/sec down 12 Mbit/sec up broadband only for £37.50p per month looks good, particularly if they've removed stm on downloads.
Posted by adslmax over 3 years ago
If BT FTTC Cabinet get fill up, the speed could be less due to crosstalk. Virgin Media doesn't.
@k2150 They have, and some people (me included) are getting it for £28.50
Posted by adslmax over 3 years ago
Mine is £23.50 for first 6 months then £28.50 for the remaining 6 months with a 12 months contract for 152/12 service. Good deal.
Posted by timmay over 3 years ago
So when will we see BT launch a 120~160Mbps service?
Posted by joe_pineapples over 3 years ago
Not too bothered whether Virgin can truly deliver the quoted speeds for everyone or not. As long as it looks like they can to joe average deciding on his next broadband provider, it might prompt Sky into lowering their fibre prices. At least that's what, as a Sky customer, I'm hoping :).
Posted by timmay over 3 years ago
@joe_pineapples

Ditto. £35.40pm (inc phone that I don't use and is only needed to get BB) for 40Mbps is too much.
Posted by magicuk27 over 3 years ago
just got upgraded but my area is March anyway!
Posted by mpellatt over 3 years ago
Just got upgrade from 60/3 to 152/12 for just £1 more than I'm paying, done immediately. Could have taken 100/6 for a £7 pm reduction. New 12-month contract in both cases. Excellent :-)
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 3 years ago
Don't forget your speed tests to show the world that it is available

Posted by pcoventry76 over 3 years ago
don't fret! Im doing computer android and Ios tests all the time :)
Posted by FirstNetServ2 over 3 years ago
My result :)

Posted by comnut over 3 years ago
if you geeks and torrenters want better upload speeds, go to a specialist provider!!! >:(
most of us are very happy just downloading... :)
Posted by comnut over 3 years ago
wish I could afford 150.... :(
but I should get 50M in a few months!!! :) :)
Posted by comnut over 3 years ago
sorry Andrew, but speedtest.net allows you to choose any server in the world to test the speed..
Posted by pcoventry76 over 3 years ago
@comnut yes but the TBB ISPA tester is just for that - so the odd test won't hurt you.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 3 years ago
And we know our server can cope with the new Virgin speeds and the results are used to help inform the UK broadband picture.
Posted by FirstNetServ2 over 3 years ago
from my experience it carnt cope. on your sites test its hard to get over 100Mbps but on almost every other EU based speed test ive been able to get almost full speed.

Could be a peering issue too maybe?
Posted by pcoventry76 over 3 years ago
"it's hard to get over 100Mbps"

is it?

Posted by noppix1 over 3 years ago
Virgin media are pathetic, they dissolved my contract last month due to contention issues. I`m now on BT infinity 2 and will never look back. Virgin can keep there upload speed increase They have not been able to provide any decent service in my area for the last 3 years.
Posted by FirstNetServ2 over 3 years ago
@pcoventry76

its probably different per location. but i stand by my statement.

Posted by Dushyant over 3 years ago
Looking forward to this, I've been very happy with my VM connection. Although I am in a congested area so prime time speeds are slower.

But to be honest I don't expect 152Mbps at prime time. I've also got a Sky FTTC line, combined I'll have 200Mbps throughput!
Dush Good idea! I'm getting another one put in to make mine 304/24
says it all here

"It will start rolling out the faster connectivity in March to "millions of customers", the ISP said, although it added that if you want your speed bumped, you'll have to get in touch and let it know."

Posted by adslmax over 3 years ago
Posted by pcoventry76 about 3 hours ago
Dush Good idea! I'm getting another one put in to make mine 304/24 (impossible boding together with virgin media)
Posted by JonasT over 3 years ago
They can't even provide the 120Mbits in my area for more than 18 months with no fix in sight, Why do they not focus on fixing the issues with over utilization that is effecting thousands in my local area over promising more than they can deliver.
Posted by JonasT over 3 years ago
Sorry for double post but check my 120 Mbit connection speed out now, at 11.40PM you would think the connection would have picked up some by now http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1393717145871759355
Posted by pcoventry76 over 3 years ago
@adslmax, is it? ignition has in the past told me of a good bit of kit that does it. as have many others.

I've ordered the second line so we will see.
Posted by markieb over 3 years ago
What I don't understand is why the hell am I paying £39.25 for my Virgin 120/10 Broadband with 3 price increases over the past year and a half and others are mentioning prices of £37.50 and lower for the new 152Mbps.
That just ticks me off big time.
Makes me feel that Virgin only care about getting new business and screw existing customers who have been with them for years.
Posted by pcoventry76 over 3 years ago
have you rang up and asked? that's what we all did. You dont ask you don't get and VM have said if people want the new speed they are to ring and ask for it, which seems mad for a call centre.
Posted by markieb over 3 years ago
Last time I rang I was told they could do nothing about my price increase, but then tried to convince me that I could pay less for my broadband if I took a landline I'd never actually use. Of course with the cost of broadband and landline combined I'd be paying even more. Doesn't take a genius to figure out they were just trying to screw me again for even more money.
Granted that was end of last year, and my virgin panel says my area will only be available between June-August.
Is there any point trying now for a speed bump and price reduction?
Posted by FirstNetServ2 over 3 years ago
" Is there any point trying now for a speed bump and price reduction? "

Why not? my date says august - Jan (2015) and i called and got the update almost instantly and i was already paying next to nothing. Broadband only £23.50
Posted by pcoventry76 over 3 years ago
I would go on as a new customer and if it offer you 152 then call up. 0845 454 1111 option 5 then 3 i think. They tried that with me, a landline. Mind you I am thinking about TV too but I still dont want something I wont use that's why im with VM
Posted by OnFire over 3 years ago
The bad news is that Virgin Media will still throttle P2P and Newsgroups to 75% of line speed at peak times.

Posted by Dushyant over 3 years ago
75% of 152Mbps is 114Mbps. FTTC still can't touch that speed. I think that's a reasonable compromise.

Multi-billion revenue corporations do not reward loyalty. They have no concept of morality. It's about negotiating, bargaining power and competitive constraint. Just call up and get a better price. If they don't give a good deal, move elsewhere.
Posted by Dixinormous over 3 years ago
AIUI The P2P is not shaped by line speed but by capacity on the downstream group, with a maximum allocation of 25% of the downstream group shared between all customers so it can go well below 114Mbps and, indeed, with the current network the maximum shared between all P2P / NNTP users on a single network segment is ~100Mbps.
Posted by pcoventry76 over 3 years ago
most people use port 443 and never get throttled. and this is true Dushyant but while that's spring them to give me what they do for the price they do I am all for it :)
Posted by tmcr over 3 years ago
Nobody has mentioned the higher speeds will be tied to a new 12 month contract? At least that's what I was told.
I called to complain about the price hike, got my package re-vamped and a better price, I don't really need the faster speed but was sent a new contract and given to understand I'd need to start again if/when my speed increases.
Posted by pcoventry76 over 3 years ago
I was not told of a new contract when i upgraded. I will see if one arrvies and if so that's fine.
Posted by pcoventry76 over 3 years ago
The gent who upgraded me has replied above as you can see, So if he sees this maybe he can clear this up once and for all.
Posted by leexgx over 3 years ago
the speed limiting on NNTP works (unless VPN is active)its more likely virgin TM is based off IP address then what traffic is,
p2p rate liming i have found never works(have encryption set to enable) and slow speeds is due to the P2P swarm it self nor virgin(lack of peers)
i am not to bothered about upload speed as DOCSIS is not very upload friendly as at the local level can get congested very easy on upload (its annoying when tech support gives out free profile speed upgrade in a area that cant handle it and ends up trashing the network on that node)
Posted by adslmax over 3 years ago
Posted by pcoventry76 1 day ago @ ignition has in the past told me of a good bit of kit that does it. as have many others.

I've ordered the second line so we will see.

Madness but it your money, why not!
Posted by pcoventry76 over 3 years ago
Well sorry but haven't you done the same? So clearly you embraced the madness too!

Posted by adslmax over 3 years ago
pcoventry76, I would not to have 2 x virgin media cable in my property. What the point of that? One for FTTC and one for Cable is more than enough.
Posted by Dixinormous over 3 years ago
VM won't install 2 connections to the same property anyway so it's not really an issue.

Regardless for the general 'home' user there's little point in 2 Internet connections but each to their own.
Posted by chrysalis over 3 years ago
so confirmation 10:1 ratio is all but abandoned on VM whilst FTTC is 4:1, and VM keep congesting their customers with the obsession of wanting highest marketed speeds.
Posted by markieb over 3 years ago
Can confirm it took about 5 minutes on the phone with the press 5-3 dept. and my line was upgraded immediately.
Had a price reduction too from £39.25 down to £33.50
Can't believe how painless the whole process was :)
Am really pretty chuffed.
Posted by adslmax over 3 years ago
FTTC are 50:1 connection ratio the same as ADSL/ADSL2+. Business are 20:1 on FTTC.
Posted by pcoventry76 over 3 years ago
@telford. I see no difference?

@Dixinormous your outdated information let you down. I've had 2 lines in one address before when I had lodgers. I've an order going through right now for one also
Posted by pcoventry76 over 3 years ago
@telford yes but for us who don't have the luxury of an FTTC line too then this is the alternative. and only alternative
Posted by AndrueC over 3 years ago
@adslmax: Where did you get that figure from? Last I heard contention ratios went out the window when 'max' connections came into play. I thought that these days CPs just measure performance and adjust route capacity as/when certain criteria are met.

You could calculate the effective ratio at any given time but I didn't think it was used as a target any longer.
Posted by chrysalis over 3 years ago
guys I was talking about download:upload ratio not contention ratio.
Posted by block860 over 3 years ago
called em now save £6 a month n now get 160 meg on speedtest.net and free superhub 2
Posted by roughbeast over 3 years ago
As one of those who have upgraded, by request, I can only say that I have always been very happy with the VM product. I have never been traffic managed even when using P2P heavily. I get 160Mb/12.2Mb 24/7 with 9ms latency and jitter no higher than 1. The TV, especially with TIVO, is even better then Sky.
I just now downloaded a 1Gb test file in 51.5 seconds. I maxed out at 20MB sec.(160Mb)

Obviously I would like a faster upstream. I'm fully expecting 15Mb in the not very distant future. When we get over 200Mb download in due course, no doubt a proper 20Mb+ upstream will accompany it.
Posted by block860 over 3 years ago
virginmedia is awesome.. even av 4 mobile phones on contract, call em n u get the odd one not being very helpfull but call straight back n u will get someone awesome who helps all they can, bt workmen on my rd but i got a superhub 2 yesterday for free so im happy to stay n did not check bt prices(even though im back on 12 or 18 mth contrac again. 160 meg download with 12 meg upload yet i stil dont get host on ghost xbox live so i would prefer virgin to make gaming/latency better rather than more speed
Posted by celsworth over 3 years ago
My first call about 3 days ago was less than stellar. I got an unhelpful woman who would reduce my £39.50 for 120Mb down to £37.50, end of story. 152Mb wasn't even mentioned. In exasperation I eventually downgraded to 100Mb for £30 instead of taking the £2 pricecut to save some more money.

Today, after suffering awful contention since downgrading I phoned back up to cancel my downgrade using my 7 day cooling off period. Much better result! Very helpful woman who, pretty much unprompted, said "oh we can do much better than £37.50 for 120, we can do you 152Mb for £34". woo!
Posted by Ultraman1966 over 3 years ago
I called up yesterday as I only had my 30Mbs connection activated on 1st March but was told my upgrade to 50Mbs will have to wait till...erm 6 to 12 months time. Yeah, they just had to flick a switch but they won't do it because I was 1 week early signing up.