How has your fibre cabinet faired in the recent weather?
Tuesday 18 February 2014 10:47:03 by Andrew Ferguson

Many of the rural areas in Somerset that have been flooded in the last few weeks are those without cabinet based broadband, but as the Thames and other areas started to flood where superfast broadband solutions are available this got us thinking as to how well do the cabinet based solutions cope with flooding? Given the mains powered nature of the cabinets and the large number of connectors within them we suspect not very well.

So while the priority for those whose home or business has been flooded will be getting life back to normal, for others who escaped the flooding but the box delivering their FTTC service did not escape the complaints may be different.

So do you have FTTC based broadband or Virgin Media and how did it cope with the flooding? We would love to hear from you, and if a cabinet went offline due to flooding how long is Openreach taking to fix the problem.

We are 100% sure comments will arise that FTTH/FTTP would have avoided this problem, and while a GPON network with its passive infrastructure will probably still work, there will still be major cleaning needed of fibre splitters and manifolds if the enclosures water seals failed. Some FTTH deployments that use point to point architectures still rely on a powered cabinet for switching hardware, so the same issues with regards to water and electronics would apply.

Posted by Chrismb over 3 years ago
I live in one of the non flooded parts of Somerset (which I should add is the majority!) so have been fine.

Ignoring flood/wind damage, what happens to FTTC in a power outage? I've got UPS at my property, but will the Cabinet and Exchange keep running too?
Posted by JttB over 3 years ago
I too live in one of the non-flooded parts and my connection has goty faster :D

I know thats not connected in anyway, but I am happy about it.
Posted by ribble over 3 years ago
@chrismb. The cabinets have batteries which should last 4 hours+. The exchange may have a standby generator which with a big of luck may run automatically if the mains supply is lost, failing that batteries should keep it going for a while.
Posted by Unknown101 over 3 years ago
The batteries last just over 5 hours and will be changed by Openreacj regularly until the power company can get the power back on to the area, but if it is flooded the fuse box in the dslam will just switch off.
Posted by Unknown101 over 3 years ago
Exchanges do have UPS for some equipment and they have diesel backup generators that will kick in just as the batteries are being de-pleated so you shouldn't notice it, if you've got a ups system for your equipment at home and using a laptop or a desktop again with a UPS you'll be able to use it. Also landlines will be fine as long as it's not one of those cordless ones dect ones unless that's on UPS too ha ha!
Posted by FINCASTLE84 over 3 years ago
Here in Dorset, SP6, my fibre cab is fine & now that my new modem is matched to the cab (same manufacturer) I'm getting my best ever results, an increase in D/L speed of 40%!
Posted by michaels_perry over 3 years ago
There appears to be a complete lack of response from anyone directly affected by the flooding so one wonders whether that could be because they have no broadband connection?
Power outages can cause unexpected telephone loss, even if there are meant to be back-up battery or generator systems. We had a 15 hour outage ten days ago and had no phones at all after 2 hours, so the batteries may have gone flat that soon. It only cam back after the power was restored - but then BT had internet access problems that lasted a further 18 hours!