The power of words means Virgin Media told off over advert
Wednesday 22 January 2014 09:36:33 by Andrew Ferguson

Voice line rental is one of those annoying things in life and the copy writers over at Virgin Media will be hating January even more than most people today, since the ASA has upheld a complaint about a direct mailing that included a booklet of offers.

The offer including a variety of half price for 12 months deals, but the half price part of the promotion did not apply to the voice line rental, though this was stated on the reverse of the booklet in a footnote.

Virgin Media cable broadband is of course available without paying voice line rental but the price difference for a 30 Mbps connection including line rental (£15.50 + £15.99) and a 30 Mbps connection (£25) on its own is just £6.49.

Posted by tmcr over 3 years ago
I've had this argument with Virgin/Telewest/etc. for years.
The only use the phone line gets is PPI claims companies calling me or me calling 150 to report a fault. It's a waste of sixteen quid a month.
Unlike ADSL and traditional means of supplying Internet connections, VM does not use the phone line for it's cable broadband.
But, when I asked about taking the phone off they quoted me the silly £25 for broadband, which is a heck of a price hike of the same service if you take a phone line.
The words Rip and Off come to mind.
Posted by Kushan over 3 years ago
I personally think Virgin is missing a massive trick when it comes to unbundling their services from Line Rental. Does the phone line really make them THAT much money these days? They could easily undercut all of their competitors just by dumping the phone line requirement and dropping broadband prices.
Posted by jrawle over 3 years ago
Until fairly recently, Virgin charged the same price for broadband irrespective of whether you took their phoneline or not. They must have realised they could make a load of extra money by charging for a phoneline most people will hardly use, but that will allow them to advertise a lower price for broadband. I don't think they should be able to quote prices that are unobtainable. Broadband alone is £25 or broadbamd and phone is £31.49. Broadband for £15.50 doesn't exist.
Posted by 2doorsbob over 3 years ago
@tmcr £25 is still good value without a phone line. Bt infinity is £23 for up to 38 meg unlimited and you still have to pay for a line on top , you could also log your details with the TPS service to stop sales calls
Posted by tmcr over 3 years ago
@2doorsbob - Been TPS registered for years, thats another story.
EE offer me basic broadband for £2.50 a month, Virgin pushed me up to 30meg that I don't need. I'd go EE if I had a BT phone line, but don't, and don't need one really. I don't need 38Meg either.
Just seems expensive to me when they advertise same for £15.50 with a phone line.