Christmas Day moves online
Friday 27 December 2013 10:42:27 by Sebastien Lahtinen

Christmas Day is traditionally seen as a family day but as we all live our lives online, interacting over social networks with friends who may live far away, we find ourselves using the Internet more and more on what were once seen as holidays reserved for the family, away from e-mail, and other online attractions.

As early as Christmas Eve, consumers were placing orders online in anticipation of early post-Christmas sales prices with John Lewis seeing an increase of 13% compared to the previous year. Internet orders were up 19% on 2012 for Christmas Day. Traditional stores are of course closed during Christmas Day, but increasingly more and more are opening on Boxing Day for the sales with some shops opening as early as 6am.

Sky Broadband analysed usage across its network showing a significant increase in Internet traffic compared to last year:

"Perhaps due to the increased number of connected devices in the average UK home, [Sky Broadband] saw usage almost double this year from Christmas 2012, with a steady increase in traffic on the day between 8am and 10am as families logged on to spread some Christmas cheer. The Sky Broadband network then saw traffic drop between 1pm and 3pm as families across Britain downed their tech and tucked into their turkey. Post lunch data traffic then started to increase again, reaching a peak at 10pm, as the family dispersed and the socially connected updated their Twitter feeds and Facebook status with well-wishes and reports of the day with a range of mobile devices being connected to the network throughout the home.”

Sky Broadband

Of course much of this traffic will no doubt be from activating and downloading updates for new tablets and phones received as Christmas presents too.

Posted by mike41 over 3 years ago
Even at holiday times, TBB keeps us up to date. Many thanks to Seb and the team, and best wishes for a peaceful and prosperous New Year.
Posted by Michael_Chare over 3 years ago
I made one distress internet purchase just before Christmas. A replacement for a disk drive that is failing.

I was a bit slow to notice that the cheapest supplier (Pixmania) for the drive I wanted are actually French, and the drive is on its way from somewhere just south of Paris.

Internet shopping is becoming increasing international. I am quite used to ebay stuff coming from Hong Kong, and one computer part that I wanted actually came from Australia.
Posted by adslmax over 3 years ago
xmas is banned next year. I hate xmas!
Posted by kenb over 3 years ago
I have Sky broadband on the Shrivenham exchange which has their equipment in. ADSL2 not fibre but services is usually excellent with download at 15Mbps or better.

The service from xmas day ownwards has been appalling. Downloads are painfully slow, ping times at 500ms or worse, and as for upload forget it as 0.06 Mbps.

Strange how the Sky press release didn't include these facts. Perhaps because Sky think this is acceptable service as no mention of problems on their service status page!

Posted by drteeth over 3 years ago
Now you know why many people avoid Sky. You get what you pay for.
Posted by UKSTEVE over 3 years ago
I liken Sky to Easyjet - no frills and cheap if know what you are doing.

Having said that, I've migrated three lines from O2 to Sky and they have made `mistakes' - once placing me on the wrong tariff (to my detriment - compo = £25) and once deliberately misquoting the MAC code when the service in the flat we rent out was utter crap).

They may be cheap, but at the end of the 12m, I shall be weighing up my options.

+Steve :0
Posted by forsaken over 3 years ago
As far as ADSL2+ I wouldn't say they are no frills. Correct me if i'm wrong but the have G.INP and Nitro in use and thus for ADSL2+ are probably one of the more advanced for the price point. Their routers are a bit basic though. Gigabit ethernet, dual band and a USB port would be nice!
Posted by forsaken over 3 years ago
Also waiting for them to start doing static IP's!