Thirty one communities across Devon and Somerset to get broadband gift in New Year
Monday 09 December 2013 09:42:47 by Andrew Ferguson

While the arguing over value for money and the BDUK process continues the roll-outs are starting to become more widespread and Connecting Devon and Somerset has announced another 31 communities that should see a superfast service going live by the end of March 2014.

Bishop's Hull, Bridford, Chilton Trinity, Christow, Combe Florey, Comeytrowe, Corfe, Cotford St. Luke, Crediton, Dunchideock, Exminster, Hatherleigh, Hemyock, Newton St. Cyres, North Tawton, Nynehead, Okehampton, Okehampton Hamlets, Petrockstow, Ruishton, Sampford Arundel, Sandford, Shillingford St. George, Shobrooke, South Tawton, Stoke St. Gregory, Thurloxton, Trull, Wembdon, West Buckland and West Monkton.

Next wave of 31 places in Devon and Somerset to get superfast broadband

With these 31 communities added to the seven previously announced (areas of Holsworthy, Bradford-on-Tone and Sticklepath have already ‘gone live’, whilst Moretonhampstead, Bishops Lydeard, Monkton Heathfield and Creech St Michael will be upgraded by the end of the month) this takes the number who will be able to order a FTTC based service to some 44,000 premises.

The news release has re-iterated a commitment to ensure a minimum of 2 Mbps to all premises within the programme area. As always we asked about those premises that are 'blessed' with an Exchange Only line, and at this stage of the roll-out these premises are missing out. It is likely that the political pressure to get the roll-outs running at speed after a summer of constant criticism means that those premises needing a little more work may have to wait till later in the roll-out.

Comments

Posted by Mike_IG over 3 years ago
Pretty sure Kennford should be on this list as well. I hope so anyway as that's my exchange and is down to be connected by March 2014 (cabinet has already been installed and has had blown fibre done apparently.
Posted by Mike_IG over 3 years ago
also when I put my postcode into the kitz site adsl checker (I believe it gets its info from samknows site) it says fibre available in certain areas, yet if I just do a search for the exchange (or even other post codes right by mine) it says fibre due from March 2014.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 3 years ago
Are you sure you are not confusing the WBC ADSL2+ upgrades which Kennford is due soon.

What exactly does the BT Wholesale checker via http://www.thinkbroadband.com/btavailability.html say for your telephone number.
Hi Andrew,

The BT wholesale checker still currently only lists that WBC ADSL2+ is coming soon nothing about Fibre.
(samknows and kitz site info has only just changed the part to say that FTTC is coming on 31/3/14 in the last few days).
Kennford is definitely down for fibre though and both there whereandwhen site and CDS site has Kennford down as March 2014 to get it.
Posted by Mike_IG over 3 years ago
If you are talking about the Kitz site checker issue then along side FTTC it says RFS date 31.3.14 if I put in the exchange or my phone number, yet if I put in my post code it comes up as available in some areas.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 3 years ago
Suspect its on the todo list, but council/bt holding back about shouting too much as its one likely to slip into the next quarter.
Posted by Mike_IG over 3 years ago
I've just looked at the 31 communities on the list and noticed that Dunchideock and Shillingford St. George are both on the list, these are served by the Kennford exchange for their phones so I'd be surprised if Kennford is not supposed to be on the list. Unless fibre is coming to those places from nearby Exeter instead.
Posted by Mike_IG over 3 years ago
Just seen an updated list including postcode list on the CDS site and they have postcodes in Kennford listed as due to be completed by Spring 2014 like the others so I guess they missed Kennford off the list by mistake.
Posted by petesilver over 3 years ago
I live in Exminster but on the kennford exchange and get an appalling down load speed of about.9kbps but I am not holding my breath as I am sure there is no chance of any improvement in my lifetime !!
Posted by Mike_IG over 3 years ago
Pete, thats the same as me, pretty sure you will be connected to Kennford cabinet 2, that's already had a fibre cabinet installed so you should be able to get fibre at some point.
Posted by petesilver over 3 years ago
I am not convinced anything will happen, not even my ISP (Eclipse) seems to know whats going on.
Mike_IG you mention Kennford Cabinet 2 where ever that is? all I know I am as far from the exchange as you can get and when I moved here over 15 years ago they couldn't even offer me BB because of the distance and its taken 15 years to get from dialup to under .9kbps. Such wonderful progress :).
Pete,

Put your telephone number into the BT checker

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html (if you can't do the telephone number then do the address one instead).

It will come up saying which cabinet you are connected to, if it comes up Kennford cabinet 2 then that cabinet is going to be fibre enabled.

If you put your postcode into http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/cds-checker/ then it will tell you if fibre is due by march 2014.
Posted by fastman over 3 years ago
petesiler you isp will have no view - nor should they have as this is becuase this is between openreach and Local authority - CP service provider will only know when every service provider is advised in am equal and equivalent manner when and what service is available
Posted by petesilver over 3 years ago
Thank you for all the info, it does seem that I am cabinet 2 which if what you say will be FTTC next year, now my next concern is where is Cabinet 2 as I suppose it will be copper wire from there and as I am as far from the exchanged as you can get, the distance from C2 will determine what speed I am likely to get.
Thanks for all your past info and help it is much appreciated.
Hi Pete,

The cabinet is in Exminster on the corner of the main road and Days-Potter lane so you will see a vaste improvement in speed.
Apparently the area was down to be upgraded to FTTP but they had issues and had to scale it back to FTTC so it could of been even better. I estimate I'm around 900-1000m away so still far but should get a nice speed boost from the 2.5meg I currently get.
I've been told that the cabinet is pretty much ready to go live and should be ready to accept orders very soon.
Posted by petesilver over 3 years ago
Thanks Mike_IG all your info has been a great help.
I live in Milbury Close which must be about 1/2 a mile but it must improve on .9kbps I hope.
Just one more question to get this do I have to re-negotiate a new supply contract with my ISP ?
Pete,

Small world I'm just a little bit further on at Gissons.
If you want fibre you will have to sign up for a contract to get it, usually 12 or 18 months you will often have to pay a connection fee with them as well as a BT engineer has to go to the cabinet and to your house.
I have a feeling you are getting your speeds mixed up as .9kbps is slower than dialup, what does the thinkbroadband speed checker come back as saying?

mine for instance comes back as 2.6Mbps, I'd imagine yours maybe 0.9Mbps.

Posted by petesilver over 3 years ago
Sorry Mike I did mean .9mbps , if your in Gissons your that much nearer the Cabinet.
At the moment my line has been capped at 1mg as it was the only way I can get a stable download but this was at the change in the upload speed which is only .275mbps.This has been a success and I always have a stable download speed.
As I am not with BT but Eclipse (although its a bt line) I presume I can get them to still get BT to connect it (at a price I suppose)
Pete,

I also used to get 1meg but there was an issue on my line where the internet would go down if the phone rang, it turned out to be linked to the upload as well but before it was worked out they changed pretty much everything including overhead line and I ended up with 1.5meg, now I'm with AAISP and on the talktalk backhaul I get 2.5meg.
When you say you presume you can get BT to connect it do you mean you want to move over to BT infinity (there name for their fibre service) or still stick with Eclipse, either way it will be fine. cont..
Posted by Mike_IG over 3 years ago
looking at the current pricing Eclipse look like they are £21.50 a month for 10gb usage, £25 for 20gb, £29.50 for 50gb with no setup fee BUT they have a 24 month contract. BT is £15 a month for 40gb usage or £23 for unlimited usage (both £30 connection fee) BUT the contract is only 12 months.
Posted by Mike_IG over 3 years ago
either way you would just order via the ISP you want and an engineer gets booked by them.
Posted by petesilver over 3 years ago
Thanks Mike that's everything I need to know, I know Eclipse are more expensive but they are a great isp and if I ring with an issue you actually talk to who knows what is going on and most times i get an instant answer, still fingers crossed and I will see what happens next year....Merry Christmas
Pete,

The cabinet is now live and able to accept orders, that's my christmas gift for you (told you it would be very soon)

my estimated speeds are between 59-43meg (clean) and 49-26 (impacted) so higher than I was expecting.

Merry Christmas
Posted by petesilver over 3 years ago
Thanks Mike I have checked and you are quite correct, I just can,t believe it as it all been so quiet, not even Eclipse knew until recently, so I will definately be going down that route but think I will leave it until all the holidays are out of the way. As you said its a nice xmas present.
Posted by Mike_IG over 3 years ago
Well I'm connected up today and currently getting 50meg download and 14meg upload so well happy with that. I was the first connected on the cabinet though.
Posted by petesilver over 3 years ago
Hi Mike I hope your new connection is going well I hope to be on line in a couple of weeks :)
Hi Pete,

I've had 5 resyncs since I got it and the 4th one caused BT's DLM to put on interleaving and dropped my sync down to 44meg which is a little annoying but hoping it will stay there for a while (all been in the early hours where the weather has been horrible).
Posted by Mike_IG over 3 years ago
What I will say however is to check your phone line when it's done, I just checked to make sure I had a dial tone but you really need to ring the house on a mobile (or dial 17070 and listen to what number it reports the line to be) as the kellys engineer who was sub contracted by BT managed to do someone wrong and I basically ended up with a completely different phone number and only found out a day later when someone ended up calling me on my mobile asking why I wasn't answering the home phone.
Posted by Mike_IG over 3 years ago
It sure is nice to finally join the 21st century on broadband. I'd recommend it to everyone, although after you join I think I will have to get an armed guard on the cabinet to stop anyone else joining so that no cross talk from other connections slow down my connection. :)
Let me know how you get on when you get it.
Hi Mike
Just had it installed seems ok getting what isp advised 25meg thats ok for me anything is better than .9 but i suppose now I have to wait for it to settle down, and sort out all these ruddy cables somehow, anyway its thanks to you I got to know about it.
I hope yours is going ok
Hi Pete,

Glad to see you're all sorted. Mine has resynced once a day for the last 4 days which has taken off another 2 meg from the download, 1 of the resyncs did knock my upload down to 7meg from 14 which was a little worrying but thankfully the resync a day later put it upto 11.
Posted by Mike_IG over 3 years ago
Hopefully we wont lose to much speed in the upcoming year due to crosstalk. I know I shouldn't complain as I have 42 meg at the moment which was more than I was expecting but I started off at 51 so I've lost almost 18% off my speed already so it is a little annoying and I know if I had just got it now and got 42 meg I would be happy.
I doubt many people have upgraded to fibre yet though as it wasn't due to go live until March 2014 and I've seen no mention of it in the village.
Hi Pete,

I don't suppose you know if you had any issues around 13:30-14:15 with your connection?, mine went down 4 times during this time and the 4th resync made the DLM kick in and knocked my speed down to 35 meg (the previous ones actually put my speed backup to 48meg), so just wondered if you knew if you had any issues at that time.
Posted by petesilver over 3 years ago
Well I was on about that time, every thing seems to be quite stable at the moment, nothing much has changed since it was installed. I do speed check now and then but it all stays the same, still its early days yet. Of course I am not online all day just now and then but its great having a decent speed at last
Hi Pete,

thanks for checking, the engineer that came to check thought he found a battery fault on my line in one of the cabinets and when the line was reset it took my line back to just over 40meg, unfort it went down again this morning and is now down to 34meg from an opening 51meg 1 month ago (so currently I've lost 33% of my speed in 1month).
Hope yours is OK
Posted by Mike_IG over 3 years ago
forgot to add that the latest test that I ran mention said In Sync Fail:GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_1114 Upstream ES and SES have exceeded threshold from real time check. So I'm wondering if it's an upload issue like I said with normal ADSL. Just waiting on response from my ISP.
hi Mike
not had much trouble that's because my speeds are fixed by the ISP I'm getting 23meg Down and 2meg up * if I want a faster upload speed I have to pay extra to get 10meg (That's another £5)but I don't do much anyway so its no problem.
I am getting what they advised so I can't complain.
Posted by petesilver over 3 years ago
not sure if you are still reading this, if you are just for interest what sort of speed are you getting now ? as I am in dispute with my isp at the moment about to upload speed ??
Cheers
Peter
Hi Peter,

Both my download and upload have fallen a lot since and I've had a few engineers out and they are blaming the line and saying I'm getting more than I should anyway. My upload is now around 8 from a high of 15.
I'm IranianGiraffe on the forum here if you want to message on that as I have more details.
Posted by Mike_IG over 2 years ago
Hi Peter, I'm not sure if you are reading this but did you ever get your upload speed issue sorted??, I'm now getting what looks like a HR fault on my upstream so wondered if your issue was similar.