2014 looks to be a hyperfast broadband year for some lucky areas
Tuesday 05 November 2013 10:04:12 by Andrew Ferguson

Gigaclear is pushing on with its programme to deliver FTTP networks to those areas (usually rural) of the UK where demand is demonstrated first by expressions of interest and then orders for the service.

Farmoor and Stanton Harcourt in Oxfordshire in addition to Underriver in Kent are set to benefit from full fibre to the premises in 1,500 homes and four business parks. The building of the network has started in Farnmoor, Stanton Harcourt is set to start in December and Underriver will follow in early 2014.

"These new communities represent Gigaclear’s continuing programme of private investment in rural areas. By the time the initiatives are complete, Gigaclear will have invested some £2 million (GBP) in Oxfordshire and a further £1 million (GBP) in Kent alone. We expect this momentum to increase further as more communities choose to drive their own broadband initiatives forward instead of waiting for solutions which will not guarantee coverage or speeds and which are yet to materialise."

Matthew Hare, chief executive, Gigaclear

For those reading this and wanting some of the action, Gigaclear requires a community of around 400 properties and needs 30% to sign-up i.e. commit to ordering the service. It is this commitment to take the service (rather than just a signature on a petition) that allows them to deploy in areas where other operators fear to tread, since rather than waiting for a few years to hit reasonable take-up lavels.

Gigaclear offers a wide range of products, from a basic 50 Mbps symmetric service for £37/month (no copper line rental to pay either), all the way to an uncontended 10 Gbps service.

Comments

Posted by mervl over 3 years ago
Why didn't we just let the market provide - perhaps with a business tax relief on new non-dark fibre provision for an initial period? Is it just politicians' desire for a bit of "cheap" and good publicity? Direct state support is always going to distort the market, whatever the EU says.
Posted by mdar5 over 3 years ago
So what happens to those residents in a Gigaclear installed area who cannot afford the £40/month?

I guess with a 'commercial solution' the area will be no longer eligible for any BDUK money.
So those who cannot afford it will just have to live with whatever rubbish ADSL speed they can get from BT.
In short they can 'Foxtrot Oscar'

In effect the residents have just swapped one semi-monopoly (BTOR plus a choice of ISP) for a total one at a higher price(Gigaclear.
Posted by themanstan over 3 years ago
I can't see how it is different to those stuck with fuel oil heating... they have little choice because of the costs bringing natural gas to the property. The market has delivered an alternative, the customer may not like it, but it does the job albeit at greater expense.
And fuel for heating the home is a TRUE essential utility.
Posted by Michael_Chare over 3 years ago
@mdar5. People who don't want Gigaclear at £37pm can continue to pay for their existing unreliable overhead copper & aluminium lines. It is no at all clear what Kent CC will do to meet even the >2mbps target. Gigaclear signed a contract with Fluidata a few months ago to allow other ISPs access over their network from end 2013.

With oil CH you can change suppliers with one phone call!
Posted by herdwick over 3 years ago
Oil has often been cheaper than gas and you can store it, plus there's ample competition of supply. A better market than gas really, so I don't feel "stuck" on oil. Many erecent developments are tied into monopoly gas or LPG contracts to get the infrastructure installed, which is like Gigaclear in many was - trade off the competition and price for the speed / fuel you think you want.
Posted by pcoventry76 over 3 years ago
"For those reading this and wanting some of the action, Gigaclear requires a community of around 400 properties and needs 30% to sign-up i.e. commit to ordering the service***

***But only if you live in a headline grabbing area of the country.

As I mentioned before happened to me.
Posted by pcoventry76 over 3 years ago
Farmoor? Sounds sexy.. Severn Beach? Nah not as nice.. Severn Beach Denied even with 800+ 100% signup.(and it's 2KM from the fibre ring too(we say max of 5KM) - but that's besides the point)

I hope they go bust like DR did - they'd deserve it!
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 3 years ago
So Severn Beach had a pre-reg system on Gigaclear site - they met the initial trigger and then got to the required number of cheques actually on the table?

Or was this the usual petition?
Posted by pcoventry76 over 3 years ago
The way they discussed it with me they were going to come along to talk to the people but at the same time pick up the sign ups. They never discussed required number of cheques or money but I assumed they meant install fee as a minimum. Probably install + first month? I don't know about that.

In any case it is a shame that they didn't bother with it. There are 300 more houses going up soon. This was to cover Pilning and other places - even Elberton could have got in on it as the fibre ring runs under the Motorway I am told.
Posted by pcoventry76 over 3 years ago
So it was not just SB and we did discuss this. There are 1,857 residential premises on the exchange and this has been updated there were 1151 back in 2000. I'd say 80% of the poeople I spoke to got very excited when I mentioned Gbps speeds. I went round the same route I did in 2000 _ the new roads afterwards.

I tried - that's all I can say.
Posted by pcoventry76 over 3 years ago
Sorry forgot to say no there was not a signup on the site. I did it by hand and on foot. But if they want to give us one I can fill it in a very short time.
Posted by fastman over 3 years ago
PC Coventry i assume this exchnage will be covered under BDUK as it is 1857 premises with CP choice and not cost to community - just need to check which LA is reponsibel for it