NOW TV expansion adds entertainment bundle
Tuesday 29 October 2013 12:47:50 by Andrew Ferguson

NOW TV is aiming to get more customers subscribing to the service adding an Entertainment package to the movies and sports passes that can already be purchased.

A ten channel package is available for an introductory price of £4.99 per month (for those who subscribe before 31st March 2014) and this includes Sky 1, Sky Living, Sky Atlantic, Comedy Central, Discovery Channel, Disney, Fox, Gold, MTV, Sky Arts and abc studios. The channels are available either live, or via catch-up TV, though some individual shows may not be available due to rights restrictions.

Sky recently reduced the price of its monthly Movies pass on NOW TV from £15 to £8.99 per month, though a good many offers can be found that improve on the free months trial if you look around.

NOW TV is available on a wide number of platforms, and the NOW TV box itself which is a subsidised Roku box makes it easy for people to add the subscription packages alongside the free elements like BBC iPlayer and Demand 5. Our main reservation is that the use of wireless while easy can increase the possibility of streaming issues as Wi-Fi congestion is a real problem for an increasing number of people. The mainstream Roku units offer Ethernet as a connectivity option and the latest Roku 3 HD unit (£99.99) adds 1080p output and headphone connectivity via the remote and dual band wireless to exploit the less congested 5GHz spectrum.

While we are sure Sky is hoping to gain subscribers who are not satellite TV customers, there will be those weighing up the pros and cons compared to the basic Original Bundle subscription which is £21.50 per month.

Comments

Posted by acpsd775 over 3 years ago
it dose seam to be getting more and more like sky GO every month doesn't it lol, What also makes me laugh is that most of the programs they cant seam to get rights to are programs from fox (some others too but mainly fox) which Rupert Murdock owns who also owns a good chunk of sky so i personally don't see why they always have these restrictions plus considering your paying for sky go/now TV and it been delivers as a live stream i dont see why there should be any restrictions as all is it not basically the same as talktalk IP TV that has sky 1 still a live web stream in the end
Posted by Speedchaser over 3 years ago
No mention as to how long the introductory price lasts once subscribed?
Posted by dogbark over 3 years ago
That first link attempts to open an affiliate window http://uk.affiliatewindow.com/homepage/about-us/
Posted by zyborg47 over 3 years ago
Twice i tried now Tv on my PS3 and twice the quality was naff, anyway compared to Netflix it will still be expensive.
Posted by acpsd775 over 3 years ago
@zyborg47 ive had now TV on my ps3 and i thought it was just as good as netflix for the first 30 seconds of every fil it seams to be fairly blurry but once it started to buffer faster it was excellent quality
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 3 years ago
@dogbark That first link is not broken, but is using our affiliate linking system.

Don't believe there is any income from NowTV referral sales at this time, but as with BT Sport it helps us see how popular things are, and thus decide whether its worth talking about the content systems.
Posted by pcoventry76 over 3 years ago
I've bought a box and at these prices will use this service but what I have never understood is that he Spotify app is on here, but you can't add it to a norma Roku box as it's US only.
Posted by whatever2 over 3 years ago
How long does the introductory price last?
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 3 years ago
We simply don't know at this time...

If they increase the price without sufficient notice to subscribers though they will be in a world of hurt.
Posted by NilSatisOptimum over 3 years ago
"available to those who join by 31st March 2014 (there’s no word on the post-offer price)".

Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 3 years ago
@NilSatisOptimum which is the same as the " (for those who subscribe before 31st March 2014)" I mentioned here.
Posted by CaptainW over 3 years ago
Apparently there are no current plans to change the price and advance notice will be provided if it was to change. So, just make sure you sign up with an email address that you actually use ;)
Posted by astateoftrance over 3 years ago
I have signed up. IMO this is worth it for Sky Atlantic with all the HBO shows and other US shows which I like. Had been hoping for some time that they will come to a streaming service as didn't want to get Sky satellite TV.

Got a good selection with Netflix and NOW TV for a reasonable price per month.
Posted by pcoventry76 over 3 years ago
@astateoftrance agreed. Also my PC has just broke so Having Spotify on it too is brilliant as the Roku version is not available in the UK as I said before but it is on the sky TV box.

Sky box £10 inc delivery. Movies and entertainment £12 a month. Netflix free(for me) abso bargain! Can downgrade the cable now possibly to save some more.
Posted by astateoftrance over 3 years ago
That Sky TV box is a bargain but am I right in thinking it can't play Netflix? which is understandable as it must be subsidised by Sky. Currently use my PS3 but after a additional device.
Posted by pcoventry76 over 3 years ago
I have a roku box the problem is it refuses to connect to my router and has no ethernet. No it dosen't have it. If only newtv was availbale on apple tv I would be sorted

One thing I have noticed is that they dont state Android as a platform on their website but it does work i just tried it on my S4. Intersting thing is that android devices don't seem to show up in the devices list. So I wonder if you can play 3 at the same time?
Posted by astateoftrance over 3 years ago
Thanks. I will probably wait and see what services will be on Googles Chromecast first when it launches here.
Posted by nadger over 3 years ago
I was one of the beta testers for entertainment channel using my Roku device. Worked very well but boxed sets that I had ( Game of Thrones and Broadwalk Empire) aren't on final package. No complaints about picture quality on 32" HD set. They are currently having problems putting up content, after live transmission, for some programmes. Would never subscribe to Sky but took Films at £2.50/month for 6 months when on offer.