TalkTalk Essentials TV now available to order
Friday 25 October 2013 10:02:09 by Andrew Ferguson

TalkTalk is expanding its product range and has now added a new entry level service called Essentials TV at £7.50 per month which gives you unlimited ADSL2+ broadband with a basic YouView box and also adds evening and weekend calls on top of their cheapest service which is SimplyBroadband.

• ASDL2+ broadband with unlimited usage on exchanges where TalkTalk LLU available (96% UK households)
  • 18 month contract, 24 months for existing Essentials customers who upgrade
  • Calls bundle of evening and weekend calls to UK landlines
  • Free YouView box (RRP £149), this box can only pause and rewind live TV for 30 minutes, i.e. is not a full PVR like the PlusTV service.
  • 7-day catch up TV
  • Access to the Freeview channel line-up via the TV aerial
  • Access to full range of TV boosts e.g. Sky Movies, Sky Sports
  • Catch-up TV requires broadband speed of 3 Mbps or faster
  • Boosts require a broadband speed of 5 Mbps or faster
  • Free engineer installation of YouView box via a welcome credit
  • Optional Powerline adapters from £35 for connecting YouView to broadband
  • Voice line rental is required at £15.40 per month, or £126 if paid annually
  • HomeSafe network based parental controls, to ensure all devices are filtered in the home

The existing PlusTV service has been proving popular probably because Freeview HD PVR boxes are still relatively expensive to buy outright. In effect TalkTalk is sitting in the market segment where in the 1970's people rented their colour TV due to the high purchase price. While many will be put off by the lack of functionality like series record, and being able to record one show while watching a second on Essentials TV, the ease of access to the catch-up TV element largely negates this.

Posted by zyborg47 over 3 years ago
wow, Talk Talk certainly look after their existing customers, 18 month contract, 24 months for existing Essentials customers who upgrade.
Posted by otester over 3 years ago

If you're with TT (penny pincher ISP), chances are you won't be leaving any time soon, also there isn't much of an incentive to upgrade any way.
Posted by acpsd775 over 3 years ago
"Freeview HD PVR boxes are still relatively expensive to buy outright"

unless you go down to your local cash generator and buy a TT YV box for £30-£40 like i did lol
Posted by zyborg47 over 3 years ago
But it is not a PVr, well not the one they supply with TV essentials. It is a cut down You view box. I am not with TalkTalk, but if I was I would be a bit miffed about having to enter a longer contract than new customers.
Posted by dragon1945 over 3 years ago
TT phoned me asking for £10 a month for Fibre.We don't have Fibre here.He said TT's maps showed we did.I get 1.8 MB BB.It used to be 2.1 MB.I was told an engineer could come and check my equipment for £50. Teaching granny to suck eggs?My last PC was built by me from 3 dead ones. My present one is 1 TB. There is nothing wrong with my set up.I am just too far from the Egham Exchange, and TT are not going to run fibre out here for £10 a month! The 1.8 MB will be the same whichever ISP I choose.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 3 years ago
Egham exchange has FTTC available, so question is whether your cabinet offers the service. will list FTTC if it is available.