Super HD streaming now available on Netflix
Friday 27 September 2013 18:48:46 by Andrew Ferguson

TV and movies has been a clear leader driving the demand for broadband, and with the announcement that Super HD streams are live on Netflix after an original announcement nine months ago it is time for people to find out whether their choice of broadband provider is really up to the task.

Super HD is the same resolution as existing 1080p streams on Netflix but by using less compression you should get a better picture, or put another way in an action film rapid movement will not acquire a block effect. To experience Super HD you will need a Netflix subscription and a broadband connection that can sustain a stream in the 8 to 10 Mbps region, Netflix should downgrade the quality smoothly to a lower bit rate if your connection is slower, or someone else starts using the connection in your house.

For those on a limited usage package be aware that a Super HD movie will use around 6GB of data, compared to around 3GB for previous quality levels.

The increasing choice of online movie libraries means there will be many who now have shelves full of DVD's they don't touch and represent the best bet for winning the piracy battle.

Comments

Posted by pcoventry76 over 3 years ago
American HD tends to come in at around 20mbps so will be good to see what this does. Thanks for letting us know :)
Posted by cyberdoyle over 3 years ago
And so it begins. Or so it continues.
The digital divide grows ever wider.
Posted by pcoventry76 over 3 years ago
For me Netflix and unblock us are the best £7 a month money can buy.. I get lost in all the American content there's so much of it!.

Not to mention Mexico and the other 9 places I can view. Although in mexico subs they have some of the new films before USA does.

Well worth it!
Posted by otester over 3 years ago
@cyberdoyle

Peasants don't need HD, they need to work!
Posted by AndrueC over 3 years ago
@CD: There are plenty of other ways to get HD video. A Sky HD subscription for £34pcm will get you a DVR and several dozen HD channels most of which actually broadcast at slightly higher rates. Most of which also regularly broadcast new material.
Posted by liamthom over 3 years ago
So if 8-10Mbps video is "super", how bad is the usual HD quality on Netflix?
Posted by Gadget over 3 years ago
A reason why families could need 8-10Mbps (with some extra for web browsing)but then in the areas where >24/30Mbps is being provisioned there's still a big gap for another non-super HD channel and some....no-one argues the relentless march of speed and great if you can afford to provision for 100Mb or even 1Gbps but at what cost at this moment?
Posted by AndrueC over 3 years ago
@liamthom: The bit rate isn't all there is to it. Encoding is an equally major factor. Luxe used to broadcast HD on the Sky platform at 5Mb/s and it was often cited as an example of good quality HD. That was thanks to high pre- and post- production standards.

Sky's on demand service seems to be running around 3Mb/s and the quality is pretty good.

BBC One HD transmits at 10Mb/s and that's stat muxed with other channels so the average will be lower.
Posted by AndrueC over 3 years ago
(cont'd) Now none of these are going to match a BluRay DVD but frankly I doubt if most viewers will be able to tell the difference unless they watch with their nose pressed up against the screen. So at 10Mb/s Netflix could well be very good HD.

No I'd say the amount of original content is what really matters now. Oh and the cost :)
Posted by pcoventry76 over 3 years ago
@liamthom

Not bad at all. I've run it on 4mbps just fine. Buffers into HD and uses about 2.2GB an hour.
Posted by pcoventry76 over 3 years ago
What would be cool would be a download facility like the BBC have. so you get say 24 or 48 hours to watch it.
Posted by AndrueC over 3 years ago
@pconventry76: Like Sky's On Demand service, you mean?

Gawd - I'm coming across like a marketing shill. For Sky :(
Posted by pcoventry76 over 3 years ago
Indeed. I'm on Sky so don't fret :)

Yes like that. If that came on the service it would be good if you have a box with storage
Posted by drummerjohn over 3 years ago
Don't forget audio. BluRays DTS HD MA is upto 24.5mbps by itself. So SuperHD on Netflix will never match it in any form. The bigger the screen you have the more artefacts you will see. Also is it 24fps? If not then what's the point? £10 a month gets you unlimited BR rental. I can get through 10-12 films a month (not that there is that much worth watching).
Posted by zyborg47 over 3 years ago
Watched the Hobbit on a 103inch projector screen via Netflix, from my Ps3 on a pretty decent broadband feed. quality was really good, not super Hd, but it was HD, audio was ok as well.

my normal Tv is 42inch plasma and i watch netflix for 96% at least of my video entertainment as I don't have a Tv licence.
Posted by pcoventry76 over 3 years ago
Me neither and I don't want a TV licence either!. Paying for Peados and eastenders? No thanks!

I've always found sound and that good on Netflix. Always get HD.

Drummerjohn - can you link this amazing £10 a month for unlimited BR rentals please?
Posted by EnglishRob over 3 years ago
@drummerjohn, seriously though how many people have surround sound systems that support DTS HA Master audio? Heck, how many people know what that is?

Most people I know are happy with their built in TV speakers.

(Disclaimer: I do have a 7.1 DTS MA compatible surround sound system which is great for Bluray, but I'm also happy with Netflix for something to watch).
Posted by drummerjohn over 3 years ago
@PCCoventry76
Here you go...
£9.99 - 2 discs at a time. 1st Class post. So it's a 3 day turn around which means in theory you could get through 20 discs a month.
Posted by pcoventry76 over 3 years ago
Sorry I could have probably worded that better - but no edit option :/
Posted by otester over 3 years ago
And there were people saying we didn't need FTTC....
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 3 years ago
Language means comments can be rejected. Restate without swearing
Posted by pcoventry76 over 3 years ago
Okay

Thanks John for the link but i'll eat my own head before I use Amazon again. They ripped me off to the tune of £600 in 2007 and I vowed never to use them since.

Thanks for giving the link though when requested :)
Posted by otester over 3 years ago
@pcoventry76

How exactly did they rip you off?

Sure it was official Amazon and not a reseller?
Posted by pcoventry76 over 3 years ago
I sold a laptop for £320 to a person who claimed they never got it. The tracking number was of no use as the signature was not readable. - so not only did they give the person £320 back but they also sent me to debt recovery. So I lost $640.
Posted by pcoventry76 over 3 years ago
Forogt to say they took the £320 from me to give back to them. So I had to pay out twice
Posted by leexgx over 3 years ago
@PC
if it was in the UK i would've goto the House to recover the money/laptop, if that failed then police (so you can get a report)
or threaten them them with an £600-1000 debt recovery company letter
or there is another option but that ain't very legal (i prefer this option when 15 people turn up at in your house you return the goods or take it)
Posted by pcoventry76 over 3 years ago
I get the point but it was years ago. Anyway iron man 2 is on Netflix in super hd and it's really good quality
Posted by Daveoh over 3 years ago
Does Super HD work on PC yet? I checked the other day and it did not. I have to turn on my PS3 to view a Super HD stream, which seems pretty silly.
Posted by otester over 3 years ago
@pcoventry76

That's why I use Ebay to sell things, Amazon is pretty terrible from a sellers POV.