New TV package from TalkTalk
Wednesday 25 September 2013 10:00:00 by Andrew Ferguson

The competition is heating up and with the launch of Essentials TV from TalkTalk which features a new cheaper YouView box at a price point of £7.50 per month, the triple play bundle market is set to get a little more interesting.

Essentials TV will have a standard price of £7.50 per month, and while it has been announced it is not yet available for order, most of the product details are known.

• £7.50 per month, plus voice line rental (£15.40 per month)
  • Totally unlimited broadband
  • New YouView box value £149, main feature missing is ability to record shows, you can still watch catch-up TV, rewind and search with a 30 minute pause/rewind buffer.
  • Evening and Weekends to UK landlines
  • Based on ADSL2+, we assume fibre options will be available
  • Access to Freeview channels over aerial, as well as IPTV based content via TalkTalk
  • As with other TalkTalk packages HomeSafe is included
  • 18 month contract

The PlusTV service will continue to be available, with its YouView box offering the ability to record too and other benefits such as unlimited calls. PlusTV has to date attracted 500,000 TV customers in the 11 months since its launch.

For the stats chasers there is the news that TalkTalk has its fully unbundled network at some 2,798 exchanges, which covers 96% of the UK population, making it the largest ADSL2+ network in the UK by a large margin. The UK has a total of around 5,600 telephone exchanges, so these figures show how rural this final 4% of the population is.

Comments

Posted by csimon over 3 years ago
Much inconsistency in stats. Both Sky and Talk Talk have unbundled Llanberis, my exchange, (in fact, my ISP is on the Talk Talk network) so doesn't appear in this "final 4%" figure, yet we all know the difficulites in getting fibre here! Unbundling or enabling an exchange doesn't mean that it "covers" that many properties and that those properties are in the 96%.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 3 years ago
I don't follow csimon. The 96% is nothing to do with fibre roll-outs, hence we mentioned ADSL2+.

The comment about the final 4% is that this 4% are spread over some 2,800 exchange, which means they are the highly rural ones.

Obviously the speeds of service will depend on the line length, data on this is at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/sections/radsl.html#319
Posted by doowles over 3 years ago
The youview box is totally awesome but SO SLOW at responding to the remote control. I know its first generation hardware but waiting 3 seconds for the info box to come up is ridiculous.
Posted by zyborg47 over 3 years ago
I don't see the point if you can't record on it.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 3 years ago
Can still pause for a reasonable time, and watch all the catch-up TV.

Not sure I could cope without a full PVR, but for those on a budget it provides the choice.
Posted by chrysalis over 3 years ago
andrew please stop quoting + line rental price, print it all in one.
Posted by zyborg47 over 3 years ago
when I watched Tv, I found my PVr very useful, so no if i went back to watching Tv, i don't think I could cope without a full PVr either. just shows that these ISPs are trying all ways to get people into long contracts.
Posted by woodface7 over 3 years ago
Wonder if peeps could buy a proper You View box (c£100 2nd hand) and use it instead of the crippled one with this bundle?

@doowles I don't find the You View remote responsiveness slow at all. Though I do have the BT flavour Humax model.