CityFibre promoting its full fibre network in Bournemouth once more
Monday 02 September 2013 10:39:42 by Andrew Ferguson

CityFibre may not have joined the top tier broadband providers in terms of customer numbers yet, but after a long period where its Bournemouth full fibre network had little PR exposure the firm appears to be pushing harder to capitalise on the assets that pass some 21,000 homes.

CityFibre and Gigler are one of a number of partners for the Silicon Beach 2013 event in Bournemouth which aims to bring together thinkers and doers on a cross discipline basis to share their expertise and inspire others.

"CityFibre will continue to support Bournemouth in its journey towards becoming a full Gigabit Town, which includes supporting the local economy through involvement and sponsorship of local events, such as Silicon Beach 2013 and the recent Bournemouth Air Festival."

Greg Mesch, Chief Executive Officer at CityFibre

The last reliable figure for connected customers in Bournemouth was 250 connections at the start of 2013, and while we have asked for a more recent figure we were told one was not available. In the face of increasing FTTC coverage by Openreach and the Virgin Media network available in the area the competition for customers is high, and this may be the reason that CityFibre is trying to target the business market where time is money and the ability to do cloud backups quickly which a symmetric full fibre connection will handle in its stride thus giving CityFibre a clear advantage.

Posted by pcoventry76 over 3 years ago
Because people in Bournemouth are so much better than the rest of us.. NOT!

They need to expand. They can hardly whinge about 250 when I offered them over 1000 with 400 guaranteed signups (which is what they said would be their minimum) and then they turned me down saying the ducts under the M4 were a problem - Not for anyone else they are not!
Posted by pcoventry76 over 3 years ago
Gigler told me they don't want to compete in areas where FTTC is active and Virgin media is partly covered. So why are they there? I have an e-mail stating so!
Posted by lloydio over 3 years ago
I don't even know anyone or anywhere who can get it in Bournemouth! Just recently had a BT Line installed between Bournemouth town centre and Westbourne where FTTC is not available still but no sign of CityFibre here.

Bit of a white elephant company still!
Posted by pcoventry76 over 3 years ago
After the downfall of DR will they even survive a few years in?
Posted by mobilebb over 3 years ago
Well at least it wasn't built with all public money like DRL.
Posted by hope4thefuture over 3 years ago
That is fantastic. I am so glad that they are pushing the Gigabit city message. All anyone has to do is look to Google in Kansas City to see what the future holds. It ceraintly is not FTTC. Thats a load of copper. Cityfibre has been true to its word. Cleaning up the network, adding users and launching Gigler as a concept to demonstrate true gigabit speeds for the UK to see what is possible. But their model, as clearly articulated, is to be a wholsale network. I really think we need to applaud the innovative companies - the UK needs this.
Posted by Fibrewant over 3 years ago
1 gig speeds. Wow, good luck to them. They can take on BT and Virgin and win hands down. I'd take it if I lived down there.
Posted by bbluefoot over 3 years ago
I'm considering moving to Bournemouth, and have looked at about 70 properties so far. Needless to say, not a single one could get it. I'm suspicious that their product doesn't really exist. The 2 estate agents I've spoken to said that in theory most of the city is covered, but in practice once you use your checker / ask them, it's 5% of properties at best.
Posted by bbluefoot over 3 years ago
*their checker
Posted by Fibrewant over 3 years ago
I am sure if you call them they will tell you. Its worth getting the best connection if you are moving into the area
Posted by whatever2 over 3 years ago
There was a map once. It was about 2-3 blocks. That's why they use a checker. Because it's a lot easier to convince you that the service exists if they don't show the fact that it barely is available in more than a few 100 properties.