300 Mbps BT Infinity service spotted on BT website
Tuesday 06 August 2013 20:14:13 by Andrew Ferguson

BT may not have full fibre connectivity available to millions of homes, but with FTTH/FTTP available to order for some 100,000 premises demand and take-up of the service will be an important indicator of whether the market truly wants faster and faster broadband.

BT Infinity 4 is the catchy name for the 300 Mbps download and 20 Mbps upload full fibre to the premise service from BT Retail, which is believed to have a retail price of £50 per month. It joins BT Infinity 3 which is the 160 Mbps product that has been available for a while but can prove difficult to find if you go randomly hunting around the BT website.

This is not the fibre on demand service that many are waiting on, that is still in its early market deployment phase, but this is Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) service that is available in parts of some 50 exchange areas across the UK, such as Milton Keynes and Falmouth. Generally in those areas most people order the equivalent speed product that matches the price point of the FTTC services.

For those wondering what 300 Mbps means, if you were to watch this week's episode of Top Gear as a HD download (2.7GB) it would download fully in around 1 minute and 12 seconds.

Comments

Posted by nooneatall over 3 years ago
I'd like to see higher upload speeds than download.
Posted by qasdfdsaq over 3 years ago
Same. FTTC Infinity really bucked the trend with the superb 4:1 D:U ratio, when ADSL and cable were typically closer to 20:1. Disappointing that they're going backwards again with "full fibre".
Posted by GMAN99 over 3 years ago
20up for me is already enough but yeah I can see why people might want more on higher packages, 50/60up would be a good fit for this offering I reckon because I doubt there's many that "need" more than 160M down already, offering a higher upload for the 300M would make it more attractive.
Posted by boppsy over 3 years ago
Well curently the 80 m/bits offering, allow 20 m/bits upload. So it would be nice if they offered 60 m/bits upload on this 300m/bit deal. I bet its capped though or a FUP.
Posted by boppsy over 3 years ago
Lets face it , who needs 300 mbit for a home connection ? Unless you`ve got a house that lovess streaming HD content via multiple on demand HD services. I for one would love a 80/80 connection like SDSL but the Fibre equivalent.
Posted by stuartfletcheruk over 3 years ago
10 years ago people were questioning why we needed more than 1mb for a home connection. Looking forward 10 years why should we not aspire for 1Gb home connections or better. Think multiple 4k or 8k video streams as just one example where bandwidth will be used. I agree that uplink speed needs to increase. I would love to be able to backup to an online service
Posted by Somerset over 3 years ago
Let's have an example other than multiple 4k video please.

20Mb/s will send 7GB/hour for backup.
Posted by GMAN99 over 3 years ago
I would expect the FUP to be like the other top end Infinity products
Posted by JNeuhoff over 3 years ago
@stuartfletcheruk: I agree, doing backups to an online cloud service would be a useful feature. I recently looked it up, on an old fashioned ADSL2+ line it would take me more than 2 days to do a backup of our home partition. Without proper fibre broadband, cloud services will be unusable.
Posted by IFeaRZz over 3 years ago
Virgin media best pull their heads out their asses and make some upgrades to the network or I can see allot of users leaving for this kinda service.
Posted by GMAN99 over 3 years ago
To be fair this won't trouble Virgin (for now) because of the small footprint but if its offered on FTTPoD in the future (no reason why not) and the install prices come down Virgin won't be able to touch this
Posted by otester over 3 years ago
@boppsy

Typical modern British attitude of using any excuse to do the bare minimum.
Posted by ElBobbo over 3 years ago
@Somerset: 20Mbps is "enough for anyone"? It'd take nearly six hundred hours of saturating a 20Mbps upload just to backup a single 4TB HDD.
Posted by GMAN99 over 3 years ago
Why and what would you be backing up 4 Tb to?
Posted by otester over 3 years ago
^ Another boppsy.
Posted by stuartfletcheruk over 3 years ago
I have over 10th of data (6-7 Tb that I care about). The cost of my fully populated 8 Bay NAS for backup was around £1500 and it is on-site. I expect it to last 3 years. I would happily pay someone £500 per year to back that up off-site so that I do not have to worry. At 20Mbs up it would take forever to upload. At the 800K available to me it is impossible. With a reliable 1Gb symmetric link I would keep everything in the cloud and have no local backup or storage
Posted by Dixinormous over 3 years ago
More upstream would be a bonus, that said the amount of people who have multiple-TB of data to back up remains relatively minimal and there's still not quite the commercial drive yet to release much higher than 20Mb.

20Mb is considered 'good enough' and upload speed still doesn't grab headlines.
Posted by MikePiff over 3 years ago
It's good to see some of us know the difference between 1mbps and 1Mbps. A factor or a billion?

Now, lets work on the difference between 4Tb and 4Tbps...
Posted by canveyboy5 over 2 years ago
Like many others I'm not tempted to upgrade anymore unless they can increase the upload speeds. People are crying out for better upload bandwidth/speeds from all ISP's yet this always seems to be an after thought by the major ISP companies.