Sky responds to price war with free and half price offers
Friday 14 June 2013 15:20:35 by Andrew Ferguson

The competition is warming up and perhaps the hardest part now is second guessing which is the best deal and when to commit yourself to a new contract. Interestingly with the latest offers from Sky there are a mixture of deals aimed at existing and new customers.

The big headlines will go to the 12 months free ADSL2+ unlimited broadband sports bundle, which if you are a sports fan may be tempting as the Sky Sports package (includes Sky Entertainment) is available at a reduced price for the first six months, so you pay £31.75 for the first six months, then £42.50 per month and at the end of the 12 months the standard price of £50 per month kicks in. For those wanting a big extra speed and are in an area where FTTC (fibre) is available, a similar deal is available but the fibre is only free for the first six months, in addition to the TV special offer so first six months cost £31.75 per month. Oh and to sweeten the deal some more there is a £100 M&S voucher too. As always voice line rental is required at an additional £14.50 per month.

There are other offers available beyond the sports bundle including ADSL2+ is half price for the 12 month minimum term and fibre is half price for six months, so £5/month and £10/month respectively for those not taking a Sky TV package. For existing Sky TV customers the unlimited ADSL2+ offer is half price for 12 months at £3.75 per month and fibre broadband is £10 per month for the first six months. Don't forget the voice line rental too.

We have seven different deals listed in our package listing section, but there are many more combinations possible, so follow the links on our listings to see which is the best for you.

One of the offers that is not on our listings, is a £100 M&S voucher for existing Sky TV customers who upgrade to Sky Entertainment+, which adds 45 HD channels to the standard Entertainment package with the upgrade costing from £5 per month extra. This offer is only available online, and expires 23rd June 2013, with the voucher being sent via email within 45 days of order activation.

Posted by zhango over 3 years ago
Sky: Here's the legal bit

"Sky TV prices will increase on 1 September. In accordance with our standard terms, prices may rise by up to 10% in the initial contract term"
Posted by tazz_uk over 3 years ago
On the website fibre is only half price for 6 months not 12 months
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 3 years ago
The key difference is whether you are a new or existing customer.

New customers fibre is half price for 12 months
Existing Sky TV customers its only for 6 months. Article had covered that.

There was one mistake though, I had said that Sky TV customers only got ADSL2+ at half price for six months. It is actually 12 months, so an improvement.
Posted by mitchja over 3 years ago
Sky still aren't dropping their over-priced 80/20 fibre price though. £30 is OTT now for 80/20 fibre. Sky also don't seem to want to sell this product anyway as you still can't order it online (you have to call to order it) and there's very little info about it on their website.

One has to wonder if they are hiding it for a reason?
Posted by david923 over 3 years ago
"New customers fibre is half price for 12 months"

Sure, it says that at the link - but when you go to order, in the order summary it changes to only being half-price for 6 months.

I assumed their website was playing up, so I called them up trying to get £10/month for 12 months, and the first two people I spoke to didn't have a clue. The third guy asked his manager and told me I need an offer code, otherwise it's £20/month, even though the offer is in black and white on their website.

Altogether, it seemed very disorganised, which is hardly going to entice me to switch my business to Sky!
Posted by jroadley over 3 years ago
Half price ADSL2+ for next 12 months (Even though my original contract didn't expire until October) and got them to send me a the SKY Hub for free as well.

To confirm, the new 12 month conract started from today and NOT when my existing contract expires in October.
Posted by kmendum over 3 years ago
Sky are upgrading their backhaul circuits from many BT exchanges. Maybe they don't want to be swamped with traffic?
Posted by therioman over 3 years ago

Sky don't seem to be "hiding" anything - I called up, said I wanted it, they said no problem, I got it, I have exactly what they claim. As it happens I also get the full 80/20 too - I get the full amount.
Posted by therioman over 3 years ago

Also... I don't think £30 is that much to ask for a properly unlimited, no restrictions, no capping, no shaping, no nonsense service - if weren't constantly playing a race to the bottom on pricing I would suspect we'd all be enjoying better speeds and service by now.