EU roaming charges to fall in July and may disappear in 2014
Monday 03 June 2013 12:53:41 by John Hunt

EU roaming charges are set to drop further next month once new maximum charges set by the EU come in to effect for calls, data and texting. The EU have been working hard to bring down mobile phone charges for consumers when abroad and to help avoid a phenomenon known as "bill shock", where holiday makers can find themselves hit with a huge bill for using their mobile phone when away. A summary of the current charges and charges that will change in July 2013 and July 2014 are below.

Current and proposed retail price caps (excluding VAT)
  1st July 2012 1st July 2013 1st July 2014
Data (per MB) 70 cents 45 cents 20 cents
Voice calls made (per minute) 29 cents 24 cents 19 cents
Voice calls received (per minute) 8 cents 7 cents 5 cents
SMS (per SMS) 9 cents 8 cents 6 cents

There is a significant fall (35%) in costs for data usage which should help users use a little more for less. It's also worth remembering that when in Europe there is a €50 per month roaming cap on data charges which should also help avoid bill shock. It's also worth checking with your mobile phone network what offers they have for using your phone abroad as it can often by beneficial to opt in to a package that provides better calls and data rates for no or low costs.

There may be further benefits than those already announced as the European Vice President, Neelie Kroes in a speech last week called for mobile roaming charges in Europe to be scrapped altogether, aiding the creation of a single market for telecommunications. She hopes that this would be possible from "around Easter 2014." This proposal is likely to be unpopular with the mobile phone companies however as roaming costs can prove to be a high revenue source.

Comments

Posted by mitchja over 4 years ago
All they will do is make roaming outside the EU even more expensive than it is now.

I dont give a rat's about EU roaming, it's about time non-EU roaming was looked at instead.
Posted by Kushan over 4 years ago
What, exactly, can the EU do when it comes to non-EU countries? How on earth can Brussels mandate what other countries outside the EU do?

I'm sorry that EU roaming doesn't interest you, but it sure as hell interests most people in Europe that want to visit other countries in the EU.
Posted by mitchja over 4 years ago
I never said the EU can do anything so I suggest you read my post correctly.
Posted by mervl over 4 years ago
What's the point? Holidays are luxury expenditure and if people can't be bothered to read the contracts or exercise a bit of self-control perhaps they shouldn't have the phones in the first place. Even if you're on business it doesn't necessarily mean you're any good at it. Leaves a bit more money to waste on fags and booze, I suppose.
Posted by otester over 4 years ago
Just buy a foreign SIM...............

(Also 3 do £5 unlimited roaming daily pass)
Posted by ValueforMoney over 4 years ago
The 3G auction fees had to be paid back or earned somehow, and these roaming fees were as good as any.

4g is just bit transfer or should be treated that way. The UK 4G auction did not extract too much, with spectrum fees less than the cosy of rolling out the networks.

National evolution towards wholesale data transport.

Posted by adslmax over 4 years ago
just get a pay as you go phone for under £10 here and get a free sim in the post and use pay as you go in abroad and leave your contract pay monthly phone at home.
Posted by ianeiloart over 4 years ago
Well, if you're in mainland Britain, then going to another country is a bit of an effort, and likely to be a holiday. But, it might also be a business trip.

However, in pretty much every other country, if you live near the border then you might just be going shopping, or going to work.
Posted by chrysalis over 4 years ago
the reality is they will claw this back some other way, ultimately the consumers pay one way or naother, I had no issue with high roaming charges as holidays are a luxury anyway and it probably hit the richest people the most.
Posted by chrishaydon over 4 years ago
I find it fantastic that the regulated price for roaming in Europe is even now less than the cost we are paying domestically! I am however rather dubious about how some of these rates work; I am suspecting the rather clever operators have managed to work out how to get around this capping as as far as I know we are paying more that these capped rates, both in real terms and on paper. Take for example "you just pay 50p connection charge plus what you would pay at home".

...cont
Posted by chrishaydon over 4 years ago
cont...

Ok...incoming calls, capped at 9 cents per minute... average call length less than 6.5min... yes. Outbound calls, well from what I can see out of bundle calls for O2 business cost 30p/min, so that's an immediate fail as 29 cents is a touch under 25p... plus you are adding a 50p fixed charge!
Now "in bundle" usage, any calls less that 2 min fail to be meet that definition, I would hazard a guess that based on our users call profiles that pretty significant number of calls are under two minutes!

...cont
Posted by chrishaydon over 4 years ago
cont...
I would be interested to know the EU's opinion on that and if it meets the regulations and how they work out the "rate charged" if it is averaged over lots of calls or against individual calls and if they would care to mandate the same caps on domestic usage. In theory there could be an interesting model for procurement of mobile services where you buy a VoIP number from the UK, deliver it to a provider in Europe and connect in the UK as a roaming connection at less than domestic rates with the added benefit of improved coverage by being able to roam to any UK provider!!!
Posted by pfvincent over 4 years ago
What annoys me is that they are continuing to allow a charge for receiving calls abroad! I am not charged for receiving a call in the UK, and I do not recall any recent adverts for services with a charge for receiving calls. Other than keeping the phone switched off, I cannot prevent people, who may not know that I'm abroad from phoning me, so why should I have to pay for the privilege of receiving spam calls?