Poll Results: BT Sport what do people think of the new sports package
Friday 24 May 2013 18:12:48 by Andrew Ferguson

We now have the results from our poll that asked our visitors about BT Sport and it seems the devisive nature of sport, as in if you support one team you are required to hate all other teams may be carrying over into the broadband world. Why? Well of the BT customers who responded an almost equal split (54% yes, 46% no) occurred when asked whether the addition of BT Sport was a good free add-on to their package.

Poll Results: If a BT customer do you think BT Sport is a good addition to package?
(click image for larger version)

The poll attracted over 1,100 responses which ran for a shorter than usual period due to it overlapping with a naked DSL poll. The coverage of the launch of BT Sport was wall to wall for a few days, probably driven by the importance of the sports sections in the daily newspapers so it is interesting to find that free BT Sport was only going to affect provider choice for 17% of those taking part. This seems a small figure, but in a competitive retail market, even a 2% advantage on your competitor would be good. Only time will tell if the low cost TalkTalk approach where Peppa Pig is the or the BT Retail approach of bundling premium content wins.

Poll Results: Will free BT Sport affect your choice of broadband provider?
(click image for larger version)
Poll Results: What people think of the price for BT Sport
(click image for larger version)

The issue of price for those not with BT was a common theme in the comment sphere, particularly as keen followers of Premier League Football may be looking at buying both a Sky Sports and BT Sports package to see as many matches as possible on at home. The final question looked at what people thought of the £12 subscription (£3 extra for HD) and around 15% thought it was about right, but over a third felt it was too expensive. The British love hate relationship with subscription TV is shown by some 36% saying they will never pay. It is possible that this love of free-to-air services is also reflected when we asked people about subscription TV a couple of months ago. Part of this maybe that many feel they are already paying for TV via the TV Licence at £145.50 per year.

Posted by farnz over 3 years ago
Question for you - of those who said it would affect their choice of provider, how many meant "will avoid BT as a result"?
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 3 years ago
So would anyone avoid a provider because of a free add-on, surely they would simply not just use it and look at whether the elements of the package suit their other needs?
Posted by WWWombat over 3 years ago
It depends on the add-on. If I thought the existence of the add-on, or the traffic generated by the add-on, was likely to result in negative disturbance (eg congestion) to my line, I'd avoid it.

Most add-ons don't exhibit this property. Free "unlimited" broadband certainly can be a problem if the ISP don't pay attention to their core network. Likewise, large-scale free video could be a problem if it weren't multicast.

It'll be interesting to see how much of BT's offering actually ends up multicast.
Posted by fibrebunny over 3 years ago
Free usually means charged for and included in the price. Most add-on(s) are gimmicks to make something appear better value than it is or allow an inflated price. Those not interested in an add-on might take the view that they were subsidising others who were. Likewise, they may opt for an isp with no add-on and better pricing. They might also consider the impact of such am add-on to the service in general.

Whilst BT Sport might not be charged for people will still come to view it as being part of the price.
Posted by michaels_perry over 3 years ago
While we are BT Internet customers, we could not use this service as our ADSL broadband is too slow for comfortable watching. At our current speed a 2 hour film takes 3.5 hours to download! So we would be constantly waiting for the download to 'catch up' and hence suffer from 'stuttering' if the programmes.
So not a service for all. Another example of rural vs urban services?
Posted by Buzzwoody over 3 years ago
The attraction is that you can get it via your Sky Box on seperate BT Channels and in HD. Being a non BT Client, very envious - when my Contract expires will be heading right there. A great bonus for Sports Fans.
Posted by Boblo over 3 years ago
Why do they think that 'Sport' means only football (and in this case, tennis)? And why (like BBC and ITV) do they think that if you're interested in one, then your interested in it all?

My preference is F1 - nothing else - but until someone comes up with a package that doesn't cost me £400+ a year, I won't be buying it. And that includes BT Sport!
Posted by WeeManMike over 3 years ago
Without a doubt it's a good thing, and I love it! I'm an avid sports fan and going to see the live events of the sports I like, Football, Tennis, Cricket, F1 etc, would cost me thousands each year, instead I get to watch them at home for a fraction of the cost, and then pay for the special events I really want to see live as and when I can afford it.

Fingers crossed BT offer a better service than Setanta and ESPN (presenter wise) and that they last longer too!
Posted by farnz over 3 years ago

I would consider avoiding a provider whose "free" add ons didn't interest me, yes, especially when I know that they're expensive to provide.

In the end, it's all funded from one pool of money - and by providing a freebie that I don't want, a provider signals that they'd prefer to invest their money in things other customers want, not things I want.