New low price for BT Infinity as BT Sport added to packages
Thursday 09 May 2013 15:14:12 by Andrew Ferguson

While there may be many who are thinking that the launch of the BT Sports channel and its free access for BT Retail broadband customers is of no concern to them, it is worth highlighting some changes to the BT Retail broadband product range.

• Inclusive Evening and Weekend call bundles are now just weekend call bundles (midnight Friday to midnight Sunday)
  • For new subscribers who want to add Evening calls to the package, an Evening and Weekend call package is available for £2 per month.
  • The new lowest price service Broadband and weekend calls at £10 per month, plus voice line rental (£15.45 per month, £129 annually) is a 12 month contract. Service has a 10GB monthly usage allowance.
  • The entry level Infinity 1 with weekend calls and a 40GB allowance is £15 per month and carries a 12 month contract. Voice line rental required (£15.45 per month, £129 annually). Update 10th May The price rises to £18 per month in month 13, i.e. once minimum term contract completes.
  • The cost of adding unlimited anytime calls to UK numbers has increased to £7 per month.

The change to the cost and time period for the calls bundles will be offset by the addition of the BT Sports option for many, but it does change the dynamic for those trying to compare broadband services and the myriad of options now available.

Comments

Posted by Plankton1066 over 4 years ago
Do everyone think that BT Sport will just be delivered on BT Vision boxes or will BT BB customers be able to stream to devices too?
Posted by uniquename over 4 years ago
Covered in the article earlier today specifically about BT Sport :)

Posted by Plankton1066 over 4 years ago
Thanks !
Posted by Michael_Chare over 4 years ago
So if you don't want BT Sport you can't avoid the cost of providing the service. With Plusnet you get unlimited ADSL Broadband for £10 pm
Posted by Plankton1066 over 4 years ago
I guess that's the BT plan; Plusnet (A BT company) gives you vanilla budget broadband & BT Broadband gives you TV content, Hotspot Wifi access etc.
Posted by undecidedadrian over 4 years ago
Mind you Plusnet will offer a static IP for domestic customers where BT won't.

So I may be jumping to the Vanilla option once my min term is up with BT.
Posted by ryant704 over 4 years ago
Michael BT Sport is free, you're not paying for it.
Posted by chrysalis over 4 years ago
Well its not free, the price is extension of contract (if currently less than 12 months on it), the usual BT cost. "This will start a new 12-month contract of your current BT Broadband package."
Posted by Spectre_01 over 4 years ago
Like the saying goes "no such thing as a free lunch"... but this is as close to free as you're going to get in a commercial world.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 4 years ago
The 12 month applies to people accessing it via BT TV with Infinity

The online app and website just needs a BT login and may run at 400 Kbps so support slow lines and needs no contract extension, just the need to be a BT Retail consumer customer.

The extra contract bits for BT TV are down to the multicast costs I presume, but you get better picture.
Posted by chrysalis over 4 years ago
andrew now I am really confused. Is the PC version 400kbit only? or is it in 2 variants, 400kbit with no contract extension and hd quality with contract?
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 4 years ago
PC version is classic streaming, so will adapt to the speed of your connection.

The BT TV version should at 3Meg match SD broadcasts on Sky/cable and similar with its 10 Meg HD version
Posted by chrysalis over 4 years ago
classic streaming doesnt adapt, I know sky go has that, but thats unusual. If someone has a good connection so lets assume a good FTTC line, does the pc version do 10mbit HD? If not thats dissapointing as not all of us use a seperate tv to watch tv.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 4 years ago
I have not seen BT Sport streaming yet, but will see if a preview or tech chat is available if more people want us to look deeper into the options.

Suspect that BT TV and Sky TV with HD will be the two best ways to watch the content. Satellite and multicast IP should be a lot more reliable than individual streams.
Posted by herdwick over 4 years ago
Taking £3/month off BT Infinity is one in the eye for Talk Talk's margin squeeze complaint.
Posted by chrysalis over 4 years ago
ok thanks, can multicast be used to pc also?
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 4 years ago
Technically can be made to work, but as the web/online app is targeting BT users on whatever connection they are using, then you cannot be sure the CPE is multicast capable etc
Posted by zyborg47 over 4 years ago
so some people will lose out because Bt will now drop evening calls from the packages including phone only ones.

what about people who can only get ADsl or only want ADSL, is Bt lowering that price as well?

I thought not.

so glad I don't use Bt any more, pathetic company
Posted by cscsonline over 4 years ago
I like this deal. The Sports package is great and will be free for a year for me as a BT Infinity 2 user. I don't care about the phone calls as I tend to use my mobile for my calls.
I like the direction BT is going as I won't subscribe to Sky as long as Murdoch owns it.
Unfortunately, I use Freesat and my building has no aerial so I shall have to watch BT Sport on my Macbook Pro and a 22 inch monitor.