Poll Results: What is the most important for broadband in the UK
Wednesday 24 April 2013 11:19:16 by Andrew Ferguson

The most recent poll we ran reveals perhaps why debate over what should be done to improve broadband in the UK can be so passionate at times. We asked our visitors 'What do you feel is most important when it comes to broadband changes in the UK?' and the response is something of a surprise, in the sense that no single answer dominates.

The question is one that has been posed by The Institution of Engineering and Technology in the run up to its Quality or Coverage event on Thursday 25th April.

Poll Results: What is the most important factor for UK broadband?
(click image for larger version)

The poll received over 1,000 responses and while quality was picked by 34.3% of those answering it is clear that speed (25.4%), coverage (22.9%) and future proofing (15.45%) are still important factors. If there is a conclusion to be made then perhaps it is that any provider would do well if it was to achieve some sort of balance between these factors, e.g. a service that is sold as 200 Mbps but only ever delivers 15 Mbps when people are home from work and is no good for gaming would be the wrong to go in improving the UK broadband picture.

We would ran a second poll looking at whether there is a big difference between the cities, suburbs and rural UK and the same question, but the problem we would face is that as an online publication we are not likely to those in areas with no or poor broadband voicing their opinion.

Posted by SeanB84 over 4 years ago
Good Poll. Was there any breakdown or elaboration as to what criteria makes up 'quality'? Would be interested to find out. Do people mean a consistent service, consistent speed, or some other component? Thanks.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 4 years ago
If a few more people think its worth looking deeper into what people define as quality, then we can run that in a a week or so.
Posted by vicdupreez over 4 years ago
I am in...
Posted by suebadu over 4 years ago
Me, too. I would be very interested to find out more about what people perceive as "quality"
Posted by daveh75 over 4 years ago
me too
Posted by camieabz over 4 years ago
I chose future proofing, as I believe that if the planning is done properly, the rest should be achieved. Any reasonably good plan, taking into account past advances in broadband, should look to ensure quality and speed for some time to come.

For example, my next PC will definitely have Gbps LAN ports, and cables will be Gbps capable. Will I need more in the foreseeable future to cope with broadband speeds?
Posted by WWWombat over 4 years ago
If we're going to ask a new question about quality, should we put together a few of the possible answers?

I could see:
- Guaranteed latency
- Minimum speed
- Uptime or outage specification
- Lack of retrains
- Fault fixes that restore previous speed capability (or some other quality measure)
- Fault fix times
- Install times

Should the question still be asked in terms of "what is most important to future broadband in the UK?" or more personally "what is the most important aspect of these broadband quality measures to you?"
Posted by ahiggs over 4 years ago
If you are interested in running a poll that could get results from areas where there is poor/slow service (presumably in suburban and rural areas), would it be possible to do so requesting respondents to insert post codes and usual speeds?
Posted by zelly over 4 years ago
Quality for me would be "error free" downloads

Lots of things I download especially most music have small errors, glitches and blips in them

It's probably caused by a poor quality line to the exchange
Posted by leexgx over 4 years ago
the file will download or it will stop (more likely your ram in your pc is faulty as if your getting broken files, your broadband line would not do that ) , your connection would be extremely unreliable if it was like that (youtube or any streaming be very unreliable )

I was not sure what to pick so I went with quality (FTTC or higher seems to meat it, no jitter, packet loss) I not call virgin quality at the moment just speed (but with dual channel upstream that has fixed 90% of the issues)
Posted by HelenHutchings over 3 years ago
For me quality means a consistent speed not too far from that promised combined with very good reliability/service (and a good explanation for downtime!)
Posted by bsg017 over 3 years ago
For me, I do not want to see the 'buffering' message very often when I am watching video (often an on-line news broadcast from abroad) during the evening. I suspect that this is associated with the local contention ratio allowed by a provider - in my case BT.
Posted by DrewR over 3 years ago
Presumably the people who rate coverage as the most important are going to be, largely, people who feel the lack of it.

Those who do not are, presumably, going to be concerned with speed and quality and those who are not feeling particularly disadvantaged as far as speed is concerned are going to focus on quality.

I assume this means the pie chart is a snapshot of the state of play in the UK at the moment, rather than determining what is most important.